We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage- Now- November 2007  (Read 24063 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Flowers and foliage- Now- November 2007
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »
My schizostylis do well in very sandy, dry, free draining soil.  If they like water, I'd hate to think how they would spread in a shallow pond because in these conditions they don't hold back on travelling.  They bulk up in no time, taking up a lot of my valuable space, so I'm forever pulling them out and potting them up.  Have pink red and white forms.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 07:16:02 PM »
Lovely plants indeed, Gerd!
Is there any autumn-flowering narcissus species which would be hardy to USDA zone 7, max 8? I'd love to grow some!
Thank you for the report, anyway!
Zephirine

Thank you Zephirine,
No, I don't believe that you can grow any of the autumn-flowering daffs in your zone. The cold-resistance is not the only problem - all these plants need a dry and hot summer rest.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »
Welcome back Gerd!

Looks like you had a wonderful trip!!
Any crocus-photos?

Thomas,
You are right, it was a successful and nice journey, one week of sunshine and temperatures above 20 ° C - but,  sitting alone in a hotel room after sunset only in company of ' una botella de cerveza ' is something which I would not like to repeat too often.
Sorry, this year I found no flowering crocus - look at the Mandragora pics.  :)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Gerd,

Love those unusual autumn Narcissus.  Lovely to see them all "together" in one place to compare.  The Mandragora looks fascinating as well.  How big are the flowers?  I've heard of the genus but never read anything specific about it and have no idea whether your pic shows large flowers or something where the whole plant is a couple of inches across?  Lovely flowers and great colour, whatever size it is.  Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.  :) 8)

Paul,
Thank you. A single flower of the Mandragora is about the size of an autumnal flowering Crocus, C. banaticus for instance. Unfortunately  the leaves are comparatively large and not very showy. Not all plants flower leafless and I found some species with a diameter of more than 40 cm.
Nevertheless, I believe in your climate it will be worth to grow it outside.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
sitting alone in a hotel room after sunset only in company of ' una botella de cerveza ' is something which I would not like to repeat too often.
You should have told us you were going, Gerd, surely one of us would have come with you? ;) :D
Such flowers to see and the bottle to share..... ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2007, 07:56:47 PM »
Add my thanks as well Gerd, for all these lovely images. I really love those autumn-flowering Narcissus species. Hopefully some seed will become available through the seedlists, sometime. The Ranunculus is a beauty too but I am especially pleased to see the Mandrake as I was very recently able to buy a plant (a month ago, at out Trillium weekend) of that species. Mine is a bit small to flower yet but maybe next autumn. The flowers look gorgeous.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerdk

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »

Gerdk, it is great to see this flowers in nature. Sometimes I go to see some.
I've already seen Scilla Autumnalis, Narcisus, and have some Leucojum Autumnale. By now, its growing a new flower and some seed pods are maturing.

Cris, I agree - much better to see them in nature than in a pot. I am curious, which of the autumn flowering Narcissus species did you see and in which region?

Thanks for the nice comments of the others.

Gerd
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
Paul, the Mandrake (Mandragora officinalis syn. officinarum) is a medicinal herb, the root (says legend) shaped like a man. Gerard in his Herball says (in effect) that this is rubbish and the root is just like a carrot's or parsnip's, sometimes divided. Legend also says that the mandrake must be pulled out be a dog which will shriek madly (this is, of course, why I wanted a plant), because if a man pulls it, he will die soon after. I'd love to include here, Gerard's comments on that - wonderfully scathing - but there's too much for this thread. Find the Herball if you don't have it already and read it. Very salutory.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »
Lesley,

Yeah, that is sort of what I knew about it, nothing much more (or even what it looked like).  Apparently useful in witchcraft too, if you're into that sort of thing!  ;D

Gerd,

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep it in mind.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »
Lovely Selaginella involvens in its fall cloak of iridescent olive green...
...and Viburnum prunifolium in its red suit : this particular shade of red is called : "10-days-old-grand-daughter-protesting-against-having-a-bath"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:10:33 AM by zephirine »
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
Gerd, you are so lucky to be able to see these plants flowering. I have an ambition to see Narcissus viridiflorus flowering in the wild, but alas our Autumn holiday is usually the end of the first or second week of October which is a wee bitty early? My bulbs in the greenhouse are only now just starting to show shoots. Do you have a pic of the viridiflorus habitat?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

SueG

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
I believe that all parts of mandrake are full of alkanoids, which may be one of the reasons why witches thought they could fly if they used mandrake in their potions and such like. May also be an underlying reason for the belief that if you pulled one up you'd die.

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
I've seen Mandrake in flower in Spain. I think the last thing I'd do is pull one up ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:46:11 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
I thought the blue colour of the Mandragora flowers was pretty... the spring types we have ( M. officinarum) are rather subdued and while I am fond of browny /black/ greenish flowers, I was taken by the thought of this rather good blue.

Oh, yes, and have I told you I adore narcissus? ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
Gerd, you are so lucky to be able to see these plants flowering. I have an ambition to see Narcissus viridiflorus flowering in the wild, but alas our Autumn holiday is usually the end of the first or second week of October which is a wee bitty early? My bulbs in the greenhouse are only now just starting to show shoots. Do you have a pic of the viridiflorus habitat?

Anthony,
Here are two photos of one of the few places where I saw N. viridiflorus.
Most sites are rather disappointing. The pics shown were made within an
'urbanización' in 2006 and it seems the plants there are not safe for the future. Another place is 50 cm from the rim of a small road and just 1 m beside a depot with containers for litter - not very romantic.
Please tell me when your plants flower and I would be glad if you'll let me know your cultivation method  for this difficult daffodil.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal