We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FUERTAVENTURA SPRING 2007  (Read 4493 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: FUERTAVENTURA SPRING 2007
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but where is Fuertaventura please? And assuming not in the USA, are all those wonderful cacti in a man-made garden area? I especially like the barrels and the hairy one top of batch five.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 05:11:56 AM »
Yes, I had never heard of it either, so I Googled.  It's one of the Canary
Islands belonging to Spain.

Here is a Yahoo Answer:  It's a volcanic Ireland, looks like you'd imagine Mars

It looks like someone's private zoo.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 06:42:25 AM »
Amazing pics Cliff.  The Cactus and the variety of birds are amazing.  Couldn't choose 3 favs!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Good morning all,
My apologies for jumping to the conclusion that the rest of the world will know our european holiday destinations as well as we do.
The second largest of the Canaries, Fuertaventura is only slightly smaller than Tenerife and twice the size of Lanzarote. With a population of about 60,000 and a practically rainfree climate all year round (average 16 days per year mainly between December and February), the island itself is very barren with a distinctly unspectacular landscape due to more than 20 million years of erosion and weathering. We stayed in Corralejo at the northern tip of the island with views over the Atlantic to Lanzarote and the tiny island of Lobos...a curious uninhabited volcanic protusion, a haven of calm and tranquility which we visited for a climb to the top of Montana Lobos, the seabirds, the unusual plants and the spectacular views back to the main island.
All these islands provide the perfect habitat for cacti and the dedicated gardens near the zoo on Fuertaventura are truly spectacular with many acres of magnificent specimens (Lanzarote also boasts wonderful cactus displays, especially at the Jardin de Cactus, north of Arrecife, which boasts over 1400 species and well over 10,000 plants).
A good number of the images in my posting were taken in the pretty and well-managed zoo where the birds were housed in large and spectacular walk through aviaries.
Not, of course, an 'alpine' destination in any shape or form, but I hope this posting illustrates that members of this wonderful Rock Garden Club can be stimulated by plants and nature images of every type and persuasion.....though I may personally draw the line at summer bedding displays in parks and gardens. (Shudder, shudder).
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »
Here is a Yahoo Answer:  It's a volcanic Ireland, looks like you'd imagine Mars

If only it was part of Ireland!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:38:23 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal