We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulips 2012  (Read 18184 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Tulips 2012
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
The T. clusiana's are lovely.
Pity, I lost mine over the winter. Only a few single leaves...

But a few others like T. sylvestris are very hardy and flowering prolific.
In spite of last years dry spring, wet summer, try autuum, warm winter followed by heavy black frosts in Februar - it is durable!
The orange one behind is T. fosteriana 'orange emperor'.
Best wishes
Armin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
A tulip I collected near Ankara in 1990

Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Is that it's first flowering Tony, it's very nice? You must have the patience of a Saint.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
David

I have had a couple of flowers over the years but in truth I have neglected it,I am not a great tulip enthusiast and only have four species.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
Tulip on the first picture this year celebrates 30 years in my garden as I collected it in Varzob valley. During those years I got no one offset and only 2 years ago got first seeds when I got another bulb of T. praestans. Usually it is with one flower on stem, but this is second case when it forms 2 flowers on stem. I don't know how long it grew in wild, but I'm really surprised for its long life with me. Only one T. fosteriana bulb with similar features lives with me longer - 34 years.
On next picture one of only recently described species - T. lemmersii. Fantastical! First season with me.
Then 3 pictures of Tulipa humilis - the first is commercial white form, the second was collected by me in Iran, both quite similar, greatest difference in filament color. The third comes from Turkey
Last two by some are regarded as humilis, too, but they were described by P. Wendelbo as T. kurdica. Greatest difference in flower color - Tulipa kurdica is red, but humilis purple/lilac.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »
for UK growers - details of major tulip show in the West Midlands of England

http://www.tulipsociety.co.uk/index.php/component/gcalendar/event/czd1N2M0bTVqbGhjbDU2ZDVrYWpicGU4cXMgc2VjcmV0YXJ5QHR1bGlwc29jaWV0eS5jby51aw/1?start=1335567600&end=1335654000

Janis, thanks for picture of T. kurdica - from what I've read the only difference to T. humilisseems to be colour of the tepals, though Wilford suggests perhaps some differences in the tepal size (but then what sample was taken, as there is often variation?). Anyhow, T. kurdica is splendid, thanks again. Do you know if it is in commercial cultivation?
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Jan

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
Tulipa kushkensis

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »
Tulipa kushkensis

Jan,
Tulipa kuschkensis is a beauty! What a striking base!
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

ronm

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
We were given this one a good few years ago, and have found it does well for us. We dont know its name, but it forms good clumps which we now have plenty of around the garden. I have tried to look it up but haven't been able to find one with such a 'peachy' colour to it, which is also so short in the flower stem. Can anyone help please? :)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
Tulipa Hemisphere
Tulipa shirley
Tulipa huis ten bosch
Tulipa flamenco
Tulipa flamenco

winwen

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Then 3 pictures of Tulipa humilis - the first is commercial white form, the second was collected by me in Iran, both quite similar, greatest difference in filament color.
Tulipa humilis albocaerulea (or alba?) is one of the most impressive Tulips to me.
Unfortunately -as far as I have heard- at least the commercial variant is sterile (because they are all clonal?).
Is this really true, Janis? And if so, does it set seed when crossed with the variant you found in Iran?
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
We were given this one a good few years ago, and have found it does well for us. We dont know its name, but it forms good clumps which we now have plenty of around the garden. I have tried to look it up but haven't been able to find one with such a 'peachy' colour to it, which is also so short in the flower stem. Can anyone help please? :)
Ron, it looks like a T. batalini form, probably Tulipa batalinii Bronze Charm , but there are several other forms  :-\
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ronm

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
Thank you Luit.  :)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »
Tulips flowering in my garden this week:

Tulipa tarda
Tulipa turkestanica
Tulipa humilis pulchella albocaerrula

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
Lovely clump of Tulipa humilis pulchella albocaerula Poul, I can never keep them long enough to clump up in our garden :-[
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal