We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand field trips September 2007  (Read 3064 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
New Zealand field trips September 2007
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »
Now it is  October I had better post these pictures of a trip taken by the Botanical Society of Otago to the Catlins in South Otago on the 15th and 16th of September before I forget about them. Amongst the party was a lass Kate who had studied horticulture at Edinburgh Botanic gardens. As this not strictly an alpine theme I will post it in the general section

First photo is scenic Tahakopa Bay.

Second shot is of the lighthouse at Nugget Point. On a clear day I can see this point from my house on the Otago Peninsula.

Third shot is of the cliffs at Nuggets Point showing the wind-shorn scrub on the hillside above the track leading to the lighthose.

Fourth photo is of the kowhai Sophora microphylla in full flower. This is normally a tree but these plants were shrubs growing close to the ground because of the exposed conditions.

Fifth shot is of Melicytus alpinus flowering. This particular form has been recorded under different names by different botanists.

Sixth shot is of the local endemic Celmisia lindsayi which grows in profusion on the cliffs in the area. It is too early for flowers.

Seventh picture is of Pimlea lyallii taken further south at Cannibal Bay.

Eighth picture is of a cuddly little Hooker's sealion on the beach at Cannibal Bay

Ninth picture is of a slightly annoyed cuddly little Hooker's sealion charging a photographer (not me) It got upset by being surrounded by about a dozen people all staring at it while it was tying to have a snooze.

Tenth picture is of a blackbird sitting on a koradi stick singing its heart out..
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New Zealand field trips September 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
What lovely scenery you have , David, no wonder your Tourist board is so busy .

Is "Kate" doing a stint at the Dunedin Botanic Gardens now? We have a lassie with SRGC connections due to be doing that, but I cannot remember her name. Sorry, far-travelled Horticultural Girl!!ere is Coltland!

Of course- it was Kate  Barnard, who went on to have a placement at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden here in Aberdeen and who is now working elsewhere in Scotland.  :)
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/botanic-garden/news/173/

Edit to add link to Cruickshank Garden thread : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10010.0
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:39:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
Super images David....many thanks for posting.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Great pictures David. Nice to have you back and posting.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
Nice pics David.

Maggi and others-- this area is on the 'Southern Scenic Route '.

Large areas of unmodified coastal forest ,(although some places have been milled /cleared),gives visitors a glimpse of what most of the southern part of the South Island must have looked like prior to settlement by us pakeha, (non Maori person).

My most recent visit to the area was during 'peak period' two summers ago and although hearing it had become more popular with tourists ,i was pleased to find there was still plenty of scope for those wanting to avoid the masses and enjoy a remote experience .   

We are hardy souls --us Southerners-- i can just make out a house on the ridge line up against a conifer shelter belt in Davids third shot ,(of the Nugget Point cliffs).

Oops nearly forgot .The locals seem to have their own way of dealing with those that stray outside the law.I took the opportunity to try out the following --not recommended--very uncomfortable.It should be noted that it was my friend who came to the rescue ,not my wife ,(or his in fact), as the two women were too busy giggling and discussing the merits of having something similar at our respective residences. 

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:55:35 PM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »
Dave
Indeed Kate received a grant from The SRGC Diana Aitchison Fund.
I was supposed to email her contacts in the Otago area but I lost her email address when our computer crashed so I never could send her the contacts.
I am pleased she has got in touch with you Dave and others please give her my apologies for not contacting her.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
Ive been keeping my head down a bit lately and will not be posting again for a week or so as I am camera-less at the moment as I have sent it away to get the CCD sensor cleaned.

The house that Dave refers to was formerly the lighthouse keeper's house befor they automated the light and is now owned by the Department of Conservation. We were able to stay there the night.  The Nuggets is an important area for wildlife with penguins and other seabirds. There is a public viewing hide at a place called Roaring Bay where we were able to watch yellow-eyed penguins go out to sea in the morning,

It is nice to have the Northern Hemisphere students down here visiting and working.it certainly keeps us up to the mark out in the field with our plant identifications! Kate was interested in seeing Libertia peregrinans in the wild as she said it was a valuable and treasured plant in Edinburgh. We found some at Cannibal Bay in its natural sand dune habitat where it is becoming increasingly rare. However it has become rampant weed in my garden and is actually invading the adjacent lawn.  For another interesting textural plant here is Isolepis nodosa at Cannibal Bay
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again-what a beautiful country. Thanks for posting folks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »
The locals seem to have their own way of dealing with those that stray outside the law.

It couldn't happen to a nicer man, and richly deserved too.

I suppose I'll pay for that next weekend. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 09:50:36 PM »
Anyone know how the World Cup matches ended up?

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
Could only have got that post on more quickly by missing the final whistle.............
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 09:56:38 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 05:21:52 AM »
That is WICKEDLY UNKIND of you to ask Cliff. But serves me right, and hopefully I'll learn not to count my chickens before they're hatched, or tries before the line is crossed. If I were a nice person I'd say "Well done" to the English and the French. As it is, I'll just hope that Argentina comes through to uphold southern hopes.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
UPSETTING ALL YOUR SCOTTISH FRIENDS AS WELL EH........ ??

Good job it's only a game Lesley?   Think your lot still do quite well at lawn bowls!

(Leave it now Cliff or there could be lots of tattooed men outside your greenhouse with weedkiller and cudgels).

Probable outcome on Saturday....England 6  France 24
Cliff Booker

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »
Lawn bowls? Oh puleeeeeeze!
But PS - your Androsace seed is germinating - many thanks.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal