We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aurora Borealis  (Read 3353 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Aurora Borealis
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Stephen thank you for the pictures! I've lost all my words.
When I saw the topic I thought to myself what is the alpine plant Aurora borealis? I know nothing about it!  ;D

Olga, have you never seen the northern light in Moscow? Maybe you have a chance tonight, but the sky has to be clear and no artificial light around you!

More pics:
http://www.vg.no/bildespesial/spesial.php?id=8645
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:01:12 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
I am going to be very optimistic  ( i am in Dorset     ::)    ! ) and have a look tonight if the clouds clear .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Olga, have you never seen the northern light in Moscow? Maybe you have a chance tonight, but the sky has to be clear and no artificial light around you!
No! I've never seen it here. Think it happens at the north of the country.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Panu

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
There was wonderful northern lights here an hour ago! Usually they are in shades of green, but this time more colorful. This seems to work quite nicely http://aurora.fmi.fi/public_service/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Oh Gosh Panu, those are really gorgeous.

Olga, the genus has two species. A. borealis and A australis. The latter is more rare but less spectacular.  ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
I used to see them regularly in Dunblane. Once, they were entirely red and I went up Sheriffmuir to get a better look.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »
There was wonderful northern lights here an hour ago! Usually they are in shades of green, but this time more colorful. This seems to work quite nicely http://aurora.fmi.fi/public_service/

That's a nice system Panu! There was an aurora here last night at about 10 pm but it was further north and less spectacular here than the last event. A Facebook friend a bit north of here also reported a red aurora...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

angie

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
I got fed up going out last night to have a look. I have seen it quite a few times here. The last time they put on a fantastic display was the day my sister died. The Northern lights have something magical and that night they seemed extra special. It was like my sister had put a display on for me and my mum. All the firework displays don't even touch what nature delivers to us free.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
I didn't see anything down here either :(
But they had a spectacular evening and night farther north.

http://nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.7967958
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
Never mind the Northern Lights, I would be quite happy to see the sky at night !  I have managed to see the moon about 6 times in the past 60 days.  If you wish to observe clouds, the West of Scotland is your place.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
If you wish to observe clouds, the West of Scotland is your place.

Tom, obviously you were never in the west of  Ireland. :) :)

angie

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
Wont be going ouside tonight to see if the Northern lights are on show is blowing a gale out there  ::)

Angie T.

SusanS

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
I got fed up going out last night to have a look. I have seen it quite a few times here. The last time they put on a fantastic display was the day my sister died. The Northern lights have something magical and that night they seemed extra special. It was like my sister had put a display on for me and my mum. All the firework displays don't even touch what nature delivers to us free.

Words can not do justice to the emotions involved when we lose someone we love, it is wonderful that you have such  magical memories though.

Susan  :)
Darren's t'other half

angie

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »

Words can not do justice to the emotions involved when we lose someone we love, it is wonderful that you  have such  magical memories though.
Susan  :)

Nice to have the memories as you know.  :)
To cloudy a night last night to see anything.

Angie T.

Natalia

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »
 Hoy, Aurora Borealis in Moscow it is possible to watch sometimes - I saw it in 2007, but this feeble semblance of beauty which you see in the north. And to see it it is possible if attentively to look in the sky.
By the way, it is possible a question?  When I watched Aurora Borealis in the winter on Kola peninsula, it seemed to me that the light publishes crackling sounds. It from Aurora Borealis or simply was frosty weather? :)
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal