We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hamamelis ....  (Read 6470 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Hamamelis ....
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »
Göte - Have you tried Arnold Promise, many in Canada say it is the toughest one.  Jelena is almost out here. With tonight's heavy rain and tomorrow's +10c I'm sure it will be full out in short order. Quite late this year for some strange reason.

johnw

Thank you for the tip John! I will search for it but it might be unavailable in the EU.
Göte
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:14:47 AM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Hamamelis ....
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
Göte,

Hamamelis virginiana is strange for several reasons. In the north (and sometimes in cultivation) it apparently has a sweet scent that is akin to the Asian species or even vernalis which is very sweet. The southern forms (often a different name) and west into the Ozarks are scented more like a sea water ??? I find this curious and would think that they attract different pollinators. There is a minute amount of genetic evidence that shows virginiana might be two species. One would need many samples and up-to-date genetics to really determine that. Still waiting to see some genetic evidence supporting H. ovalis.

Aaron
Thank you Aaron,
That explains why Olga finds it fragrant and I find it smelly. Now it becomes really difficult. How can I know which one I find in the nursery? Many nurseries are closed at the time H.v. is in flower.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal