We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Varieties - Where Are They Now?  (Read 26394 times)

Rob

Re: Snowdrop Varieties - Where Are They Now?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »
Woottens of Wenhaston are advertising Limey.

Midlands, United Kingdom

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:56 AM »
Any snowdrop - or anything else - named 'Dame Margot Fonteyn' would have to be very special indeed. There was a story I read years ago about her travelling up in a lift (elevator) in New York and complaining about the persistent rain. The lift man said "Ah but Ma'am, you can dance between the raindrops." I was very privileged to see her dance in what was, I think, the only performance she gave in this country.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

steve owen

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »
Any snowdrop - or anything else - named 'Dame Margot Fonteyn' would have to be very special indeed. There was a story I read years ago about her travelling up in a lift (elevator) in New York and complaining about the persistent rain. The lift man said "Ah but Ma'am, you can dance between the raindrops." I was very privileged to see her dance in what was, I think, the only performance she gave in this country.

I once had a brief (5 minute) conversation with her over a coffee in a Covent Garden market coffee shop.  Thirty years ago. She was luminous.

Martin, if you have a distinctive snowdrop that you want to call "Pelican"  and there's no sign of the Pelican in Snowdrops, and you are ready to distribute it, maybe you should just go ahead? Mao Tse Tung said "you don't get given power, you take it".
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:51 AM »
Seems quite ridiculous that these names cannot be re-used for another plant, especially if it can a) be shown to be no longer in existence...

You can search and search for something and fail to find it but you can never show that is doesn't exist.

...After all, there is not even an official Galanthus registry....

Don't say that to the Dutch.  The problem is that their registry misses-out most named snowdrops.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »
Martin, if you have a distinctive snowdrop that you want to call "Pelican"  and there's no sign of the Pelican in Snowdrops, and you are ready to distribute it, maybe you should just go ahead? Mao Tse Tung said "you don't get given power, you take it".

I would like to propose the name "Baxendale's Pelican".
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
The problem seems to be the "publication" of a name. Once a snowdrop has been identified by a particular name in almost any kind of publication, even a nursery catalogue, or on a website, then the nomenclatural rules seem to demand that forever and a day that must be the name of the plant and no other plant of the same genus can ever bear that name, even in some re-hashed way such as 'Pelican' and 'Baxendales' Pelican'. Then again, who's going to physically stop you?  ;D

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
You can search and search for something and fail to find it but you can never show that is doesn't exist.

Like the Loch Ness monster. It can't be proved it DOESN'T exist. :)

The general rule for naming when there is not a recognised registering body, is that the plant concerned should be published in an authoritative publication, with name, colour photograph and clear, detailed description of appearance, habit, size, flowering time etc. If this hasn't happened, anyone can call any plant whatever he/she pleases. But if you want a name officially recognised, then get it published properly and THEN no-one else may use that name for a plant of the same genus.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
Then again, who's going to physically stop you?  ;D

Quite probably nobody, and if it is widely distributed and grown then I am sure we, the general public, would hold sway ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
So there you have it, Martin.  You just need to send one to everyone on the forum and you will win the day! 
Almost in Scotland.

Sean Fox

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »

I can't see why this couldn't be used, how may snowdrops have the used the words Magnet, Merlin or even Ketton?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

I can't see why this couldn't be used, how may snowdrops have the used the words Magnet, Merlin or even Ketton?

Plenty, and apparently it's "not allowed". Lesley, we were told at the last snowdrop gala that the nomenclatural rules have now been broadened out so that any publication anywhere now consitutes official publication of a plant name, probably based on the ludicrous way researchers have gone back through literature finding obscure early references to prior names for widely-used later names so they can change them and annoy us all. 

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
I wonder in this modern technological age whether posting a name on SRGC would be enough to call it published?
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
I wonder in this modern technological age whether posting a name on SRGC would be enough to call it published?

I think it might well be.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »

Just checked via google and a new ruling by the International Botanical Congress takes effect this month allowing new species names to be "officially" published online as well as in a paper publication. I would guess that the same will, or soon will, apply to cultivated plant names.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
... I presume Diane Broughton originates from a snowdrop found at Anglesey Abbey so they might know if it still exists. 

So much for that idea.  I spoke to the deputy head (?) gardener at Anglesey Abbey today.  He confirmed that "Diane Broughton" originates from Anglesey Abbey but they don't have it there; he has never even seen one!
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal