We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2012  (Read 37602 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Reticulate Iris-2012
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
Perhaps rationalist/atheists like you (& me) cannot help but look at nature as if it had been purposefully made by an intelligent being or an artist even though, rationally, we think it has not.

Certainly Gerry, but why?  Appreciation of exquisitely intricate mechanisms & functional designs might be considered to confer competitive advantage, but it's harder to extend this to our perception of purely aesthetic beauty ???

Another thread swerves wildly into the sunset :) ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:31:48 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gerry Webster

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
I don't know why we have an aesthetic sense. Perhaps that's not an answerable question. Or, as the Darwinists might say when confronted by something inexplicable in adaptive terms, it's a byproduct or an accidental product of something else which is adaptive.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »
I'm puzzled by the lateness of my Sheila Anne Germaney and Frank Elder. These were bought as dry bulbs so maybe they aren't settled.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
Clairette as well others old Dutch reticulatas are quite easy outdors, but Alan's McMurtries new reticulata hybrids with me better grow just outside than under cover. Outside they makes larger bulbs and really didn't suffer from moisture. All Alan hybrids are sawn in open garden and grown up without protection, so nature selects best growers on his hybrid beds. Here are two problems in open garden - rodents which can destroy stock (didn't happen yet, because there still are crocuses - more tasty for rodents) and night frosts which can damage early flowers. But bulb crop in last years was very good even when left without annual replanting.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

PeterT

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
I have a friend near Reading (UK)who also finds Alan McMurtries crosses do well in the ground.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Darren

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »
........We grow a number of them in an outdoor raised bed, uncovered all year round and they do very well.... ............

It must be your drier climate Ron. I've lost count of the times I've started with a batch of ten bulbs or so and the following year finishing up with two/three if I'm lucky.

Me too David. Our mild wet winters in NW England also suit slugs which I find devastate reticulate iris here. The junos (bucharica and magnifica) are grazed too but usually not too badly and we can keep these going planted out. Pots or the bulb frame only for the reticulatas - where I can keep the little slimy devils at bay. A shame because our limy and perfectly drained soil otherwise suits bulbs really well.

Nice to see 'Clairette' Ashley - possibly the nicest reticulata to my eyes.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Here is Iris winogradowii. This year I appear to have lost a group and the main stand is flowering one bulb at a time. It was probably too dry here in the summer
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ronm

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
Rather similar results here Ian. Although still well established, a few less flowers so far this year. I am wondering however if they were interrupted by that cold snap we had last week after a period of very mild weather. I say this as only I. winogradowii was affected, and it happened to be emerging flowers just as the change happened.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
I think I'm right in saying that I. winogradowii requires some moisture during the summer. I haven't tried it but if that is the case it ought to do well here!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
Yes, winogradowii needs some light shade and some moisture in summer. Otherwise it is quite hardy but sometimes I lost some part of stock, too.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
Light shade and some moisture David - but not a bog or continuous downpour, as you frequently give us to believe you have.

Funnily enough, the other day at the market I met someone from Ivybridge. I always ask where someone comes from when they have an obviously non-kiwi accent. I said I knew someone who lived there and he frequently mentioned the very wet weather. The woman's face became downcast and miserable and she said "oh yes, it's always like that."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:33 PM »

Rather similar results here Ian. Although still well established, a few less flowers so far this year. I am wondering however if they were interrupted by that cold snap we had last week after a period of very mild weather. I say this as only I. winogradowii was affected, and it happened to be emerging flowers just as the change happened.
I think I'm right in saying that I. winogradowii requires some moisture during the summer. I haven't tried it but if that is the case it ought to do well here!
Yes, winogradowii needs some light shade and some moisture in summer. Otherwise it is quite hardy but sometimes I lost some part of stock, too.
Janis

As soon as I can I always try to plant bits in various conditions for safety. I will have to start again
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »

Funnily enough, the other day at the market I met someone from Ivybridge. I always ask where someone comes from when they have an obviously non-kiwi accent. I said I knew someone who lived there and he frequently mentioned the very wet weather. The woman's face became downcast and miserable and she said "oh yes, it's always like that."

It's a very small world Lesley. Glad they backed me up as far as the weather is concerned.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
My first Iris for many years.

I blame daveyp1970 for getting me started on bulbs again  8)

Katherine Hodgkins, just opened today  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:42:16 PM by fredg »
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

ronm

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
Welcome back to the fold Fred, ;D.
Lovely 'K.Hodgkin' pictures. May I ask, was this from a commercial ( i.e. Garden Centre type ), source or from a private collection? I only ask as it seems a particularly fine, clean looking specimen.  :) :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal