We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 10529 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: November 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
Thanks folks. :)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »
Back in August 2010 a friend ordered Adenium seed from Thailand. it seems it was very expensive seed from selfed named plants and promised to come true.  He insisted I try some - 5 to be exact and they were tiny. I repotted them, they sulked and shrivelled. In late autumn they were moved to another greenhouse and kept dry until February.  This greenhouse had a venting probalem and temps from then on routinely reached 40-50c. I kept them in there but watered them when dry.  They neither missed a beat nor had any bug issues.

Suddenly they plumped up and took off like a shot, even the sickliest one.  Awaiting those exquisite flowers.

John Grimshaw's Blog recently had an article on them. Big ones are quite wild-looking when they get very old. Native to Yemen (Frazer!) or Socotra (?) so heat should not be an issue though I would have thought humidity might be.

These are in 11cm pots. And now the onus is on me to see if they come true to name as my friend's light stand with several hundred plants collapsed sending the labels every which way. He did rescue the plants though.

Now this was an eye-opener. Why am I finding this just now?  http://adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

johnw
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:07:46 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
Damn, if sulking and shrivelling produced those results in other things..... I'd give it a go!!  ;D  They look brilliant.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Here probably the last flowers of  this year ? Stil some buds of Pyrethrum leontopodium opens and Androsace sericea wich always flower in the autumn .

Always great to see all the great stuff here :)
Kris, love that Pyrethrum! I'm developing a bit of an obsession with interesting Compositae!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
petrocosmea grandiflora

Love these, Michael :) I've been watching for Petrocosmea since seeing yours a year or two back, have you seen seed available anywhere?

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
No idea where you might get seed, but my plant of begonifolia produced seed last year, and I have a nice tray of seedlings.It was  the first time any of them produced seed, and I will be keeping a careful watch this year for  seed capsules. If they set any I will keep you in mind.

Cheers.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
Thanks, Michael :)
Congrats, John on your Adenium success thus far :) Although they come from some rather harsh looking places ( and they do love full sun even in warm climates) they appreciate a lot of water while actively growing, as well as regular uppotting and feeding..
I have just one, which lives on my windowsill all year, where it doesn't get the heat or sun it would prefer for most of the year, so is kept dryish to dry when its not getting those things, thus, progress is slow!
I like the variety of leaf and body shapes, though have to say I much prefer the species flowers to the hybrids-- but they are a fascinating example of what can be pulled from a genome!

Menai

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
We've heard a lot about unseasonable flowering recently but my Oncostema (Scilla) peruviana, after 4 unproductive years, decided to flower this autumn! Inflorescence first noticed at the beginning of October as I was cutting back the lavender around it, fully out 21st November. I lifted it from the bed (it was in a basket like most of my bulbs) and plunged it in a larger pot so we could admire it but now what should I do? Feed it, try and force it into dormancy, or just let it do its own thing?
This my first post here after 'lurking' for a number of years. I have a waterside garden on the Menai Strait so looking forward to several months of damp dark with occasional frost.
Erle Randall
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
Hello Erle,
It's great to have you emerge from the bushes! :D

I'd give it some feeding and let it keep going as long as it wants to.... I'm not a great fan of trying to impose my will on the plants if I can help it.... I reckon they mostly have a pretty  good reason for what they do..... at least, I hope that's the case.   :-\

I have a waterside garden on the Menai Strait so looking forward to several months of damp dark with occasional frost.
We're towards  the opposite end   and other side of the country... so you have our sympathies... though here we expect  damp  dark and lots of frost  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:19:07 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the link John  :D A friend has just sent some Adenium obesum seeds to me and advices are really welcome  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »
Thanks for the link John  :D A friend has just sent some Adenium obesum seeds to me and advices are really welcome  ;)

Nicole, Adenium are naturally winter dormant, but they will grow anytime you can give them lots of warmth, strong light and water.. seedlings are very cute...

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
A few things in the garden. Paddy

Callicarpa  'Profusion' berries
Argemone mexicana
Iris unguicularis 'Kilbroney Marble'
Galactites tomentosa
Fuchsia 'Mrs. Popple'
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
Erie,

Welcome to the forum. By coincidence, we were talking last night about your area, the beautiful Menai Straits and north Wales in general. Bodnant Gardens are a treasure, Beau Maris is a delight and there are many other places we love there.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2011, 03:04:30 PM »

Argemone mexicana
Galactites tomentosa
Fuchsia 'Mrs. Popple'
Still summer over there Paddy?  ;D 8) 8)
We had our first moderate autumn gale today, so not much left in flower after this.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »

Argemone mexicana
Galactites tomentosa
Fuchsia 'Mrs. Popple'

Wow, Paddy- impressive! Today was warm- up to 12C or more! -and greatly reduced the snow on the ground, but its far from gone all over, and still piles where its been shovelled.. no mistaking this for anything but winter! Flowers (outdoors) are a distant memory!
Great colour on the berries :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal