We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014  (Read 70991 times)

GordonT

Re: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014
« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
Flowering for the first time for me, the glorious Habenaria myriotricha.

What an amazing plant, Pete! It seemed familiar to me under another name... apparently myriotricha is a synonym for Habenaria medusa at least according to Plant List. Lord knows how many more orchid species have been changed, or merged with other genera!

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-95186
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #316 on: January 05, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
My first terrestrial orchid of the New Year is appropriately enough an eastern form of the Early Spider Orchid (often considered a separate species: Ophrys mammosa).

Ophrys sphegodes ssp mammosa

Ophrys sphegodes ssp mammosa flower

Ophrys sphegodes ssp mammosa lip

.......there's a wee spider in there somewhere!

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #317 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
Steve,

lovely plant and superb photography. Thank you for adding so much to our enjoyment. :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #318 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
Steve

very nice,I do not even have one in early bud yet. Must be tropical in Low Valleyfield
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Steve Garvie

« Reply #319 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
Thanks Tony!

Like elsewhere in the UK we had a very hot summer but night temperatures began to drop by late august; this and a cold spell (when there was frost) in early October have ignited my wintergreen orchids. All the ophrys (not that I have many) and the Barlia are advanced with almost all now showing flower buds. The challenge is to maximise light exposure and keep them in growth for as long as possible.  ;)

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »
Wow! Nearly fell off my seat.  :o
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

GordonT

« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
My first terrestrial orchid of the New Year is appropriately enough an eastern form of the Early Spider Orchid (often considered a separate species: Ophrys mammosa).

Absolutely stunning images, Steve! I have been mesmerised by Ophrys forever, and have yet to see one in the flesh.... your photography is the next best thing! Perhaps someday I'll have a plant or two growing here in Nova Scotia.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

glynnffc

« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
Well done Steve that is a lovely spike of flowers.
One thing I am not sure of is when to water my Ophrys.They are sitting in moist sand in clay pots with frost protection and look like they are forming spikes.Should I begin watering in the pot or just keep the sand moist?
Glynn

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
I keep mine damp all winter in the pots as well as having the sand plunge moist. I have found it does them no good if too dry in winter.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
Thanks Glynn!
My Ophrys share a plunge with a collection of winter-growing South Africa bulbs and so are kept frost-free. The plunge is "swept" by a large blade oscillating fan for 15 mins every couple of hours.
I started gentle watering in the pots (clay) at the very end of August and then increased the watering to keep the compost moist through September-late November. In December-January I am a bit more careful about the watering tending to water around the edge of the pot but avoiding getting the central rosette or leaves damp. I continue regular watering until the last of the flowers on the spike have opened and then try to keep the compost just barely moist but keep the plants as cool as possible to maintain growth for as long as possible. Once the leaves start to show signs of die-back I stop all watering and allow the pots to dry off -initially in the plunge but later I remove the pots from the plunge and put them under the staging. If cool damp weather prevails at the start of dormancy the plants may not dry-off promptly and rot can set in. If any of the pots still seem a little damp at this stage I tip out the contents, clean the "tubers", allow them to air dry then place them in dry silver sand in a plastic pot for the summer. This works well for me with Ophrys and some of the Orchis. However some of the later-flowering and moist-growing Orchis don't do as well for me. I should add that whilst this regime works well for mature Ophrys I have found it a bit too harsh for young plants a year out of the flask. Of a selection of small one-year in soil Ophrys that I bought a few years ago only about 30% survived.
I use a very lean compost mix comprising of gritty sharp sand, perlite, pumice and seramis-substitute (Tesco lightweight low-dust cat litter which I soak in rain-water for a week or two before using). The only organics that I add is a small amount (no more than 10%) of composted bark.

This regime works for me but I am no expert and others on the forum might be able to give better advice.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

glynnffc

« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I shall start giving my plants a bit more water, probably by standing them in an inch of water.I only have half a dozen
so it will be easy enough. I worry about watering from the top, clumsy is my middle name, and I am so pleased to have got them this far.
Glynn

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
I grow all my plants,crocus galanthus cyclamenorchids etc except cyps in JI no 2 and some extra grit. The orchis/ ophrys are kept just frost free. I water if necessary round the edge of the pot after tipping the grit of a couple and seeing how dry the compost is. In summer I put them in the garage to keep them cool and dry until repoting and watering again in about September.

This is my set up

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10816.45   post number 50.

I lose a couple each year from rot and this is usually because of condensation on the frame lid dripping when they have to be covered for a few days in cold weather. I do go out with a tissue and dab them dry if I notice it.

Damp is always a problem and humidity has been over 94% each week since the beginning of October and reached 98% this week.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
Ophrys leochroma
Apparently it has the common name of Lion-maned Orchid.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

SteveC2

« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
Wonderful photos Steve.  All my Ophrys are weeks away from flowering.
Are these early flowering Ophrys by any chance new purchases from warmer climes?  I only ask because of a theory I have been discussing on another thread, (what are your wintergreens doing?).

Steve Garvie

« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
This is their second winter with me Steve. Most didn't flower last year even though the tubers were of decent size.
I think the hot summer followed by cool late August temperatures brought them into growth fairly early. I grow them in a heated partitioned section of the greenhouse with South African bulbs -the temperature hasn't dropped below +5C  in there all winter. However I have an Ophrys helenae that I bought in late summer from "warmer climes" which only broke cover in early November -two months later than the others, I not sure whether it will flower or not.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal