We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11667 times)

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
Re: October 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Myosotis cheesemanii is very close to M. colensoi (Kirk) J.F.Macbr. from which it differs by its low cushion-forming rather than open mat-forming habit, uniform rather than variable leaf hair length, short rather than long lateral branches which unlike M. colensoi do not extend beyond the rosettes. Both species are also ecologically distinct; M. colensoi is confined to limestone rock and associated soils, M. cheesemanii a high alpine of cushionfield and snow banks.
NZPCN

Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
I've had I. minutoaurea off and on over 40 years I would say and have never seen a seed pod. It's quite possible that all the material in NZ comes from a single clone from many years ago. I may be wrong but I have a slight memory about Mark McDonough growing it and getting seed. Worth an enquiry as he seems to have a number of those little species from the far east.

Lesley,

I usually get seed on koreana, odaesanensis and henryi, but never collected any from minutoaurea.

Would be happy to send you some.

Best,

John
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:33 AM »
Yesterday I visited a small section of bush at Point View reserve about 10 minutes from where I live. When, in 1769, Captain James T. Cook boldly went where no one (at least from Whitby, Yorkshire) had boldly gone before and 'discovered' New Zealand, he saw that the local inhabitants ate the unexpanded leaf bud at the top of the trunk of the nikau palm (Rhopalostylis sapida) as a vegetable. It is New Zealand's only native palm and the most southerly growing species of palm. It was also eaten by members of his 1769 expedition to New Zealand. Members of the expedition referred to the nikau palm as "cabbage tree" or "cabbage palm". This name soon came to also refer to Cordyline australis, so that by the time the first European settlers arrived it was used almost exclusively as a common name for the Cordyline. The reserve is also full of ponga - the silver fern (Cyathea dealbata) and mamaku - the black tree fern (C. medullaris).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:12:23 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ray

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »
Some of my Hosta's doing heaps better out in the ground,not to bad for snail yet.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2011, 03:06:27 AM »
Your hostas are looking great Ray. I love those little forms. I saw some great plants with psychodelic colours today, in the damp garden of my overnight hostess in Ashburton where I'd gone to do a Crocus talk last night. In the drizzle and rain the lime and gold shade stand out so well and contrast beautifully with the blue kinds. Love them all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2011, 03:50:03 AM »
Ray, it is not common to see such fine Hostas in a mild climate like yours.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal