We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2011  (Read 13647 times)

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
Re: Sternbergia 2011
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Hello!  ;) It's my Sternbergia colchiciflora found in Crimea. At me this one flowers from the end of August. My Moldavian clone of it flowers usually from the beginning of October. Last year summer Crimean plants didn't bloom, just making cleistogamic seed pods in spring...
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

JoshY46013

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
So out of the eight accepted species they're all thought to be forms of S. lutea?

Ezeiza

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
A species by Ravenna with absolutely no scientific standing? Are you sure?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ezeiza

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Maggi, my limited English does not let me be sarcastic enough.

There is a problem of long time, that Kew accepts taxa as valid with intriguing criteria.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
My personal opinion is that they are all the same, Alberto.

Since I have no bias against little smileys to help my meaning, I will add this.......  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »
So out of the eight accepted species they're all thought to be forms of S. lutea?

No - I was commenting only on forms regarded as  S. sicula (& S. greuteriana). Sorry if my post was misleading.
This is the paper to which I was referring:
EWAN GAGE and PAUL WILKIN
A morphometric study of species delimitation in Sternbergia lutea (Alliaceae, Amaryllidoideae) and its allies S. sicula and S. greuteriana
Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 158, 460–469 (2008),

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Pascal B

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Gerry,

That is a rather peculiar use of morphometrics..... ??? I know particularly Japanese taxonomists can loose themselves in cladistic analysis but to use purely morphometrics for species delimitation is new to me. Given the relatively similar shape of Sternbergia flowers I can't really imagine how they could have arrived at any acceptable conclusion.....?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:29:29 PM by Pascal B »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
Gerry,

That is a rather peculiar use of morphometrics..... ??? I know particularly Japanese taxonomists can loose themselves in cladistic analysis but to use purely morphometrics for species delimitation is new to me. Given the relatively similar shape of Sternbergia flowers I can't really imagine how they could have arrived at any acceptable conclusion.....?
Pascal - perhaps you should read the paper. Here is the abstract:

"The morphological chararacters used to differentiate the species Sternbergia lutea (L.) Ker Gawl. ex Spreng., Sternbergia sicula Tineo ex Guss. and Sternbergia greuteriana Kamari & R.Artelari were found not to possess discrete or consistently different states during an attempt to produce an electronic multi-access key to the genus. Thus, variation in floral and leaf morphology in the three species was further explored to re-evaluate taxon limits using herbarium specimens and statistical methods, including principal components analysis (PCA) and elliptic Fourier analysis (EFA). This confirmed that variation was continuous between the three species. Sternbergia sicula and S. greuteriana are sunk into S. lutea and a revised description provided. It is suggested that cultivar status is the most appropriate rank for the cultivated forms of the S. lutea complex."
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
Hello!  ;) It's my Sternbergia colchiciflora found in Crimea. At me this one flowers from the end of August. My Moldavian clone of it flowers usually from the beginning of October. Last year summer Crimean plants didn't bloom, just making cleistogamic seed pods in spring...

Nice colchiciflora Dima!
It is just the opposite here - no flowers this year, only leaves (and possible seed pods under ground). Last year they flowered nicely.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Gerry Webster

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Pascal - further to my previous post, Gage & Wilkin have now published a phylogenetic analysis. Unfortunately, I can only access the abstract online:

EWAN GAGE, PAUL WILKIN, MARK W. CHASE, JULIE HAWKINS
Phylogenetic systematics of Sternbergia (Amaryllidaceae) based on plastid and ITS sequence data

Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 166, (Issue 2), 149–162, ( 2011)

"The phylogenetics of Sternbergia (Amaryllidaceae) were studied using DNA sequences of the plastid ndhF and matK genes and nuclear internal transcribed spacer (ITS) ribosomal region for 38, 37 and 32 ingroup and outgroup accessions, respectively. All members of Sternbergia were represented by at least one accession, except S. minoica and S. schubertii, with additional taxa from Narcissus and Pancratium serving as principal outgroups. Sternbergia was resolved and supported as sister to Narcissus and composed of two primary subclades: S. colchiciflora sister to S. vernalis, S. candida and S. clusiana, with this clade in turn sister to S. lutea and its allies in both Bayesian and bootstrap analyses. A clear relationship between the two vernal flowering members of the genus was recovered, supporting the hypothesis of a single origin of vernal flowering in Sternbergia. However, in the S. lutea complex, the DNA markers examined did not offer sufficient resolving power to separate taxa, providing some support for the idea that S. sicula and S. greuteriana are conspecific with S. lutea"

Ezeiza

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
A lot of chitchat to express the same Maggi said in one short sentence.

Pascal B

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
A lot of chitchat to express the same Maggi said in one short sentence.

Alberto, based on the morphometric article for the 3 mentioned species, yes. Based on the phylogenetic analysis for the entire genus the abstract however reports 2 subclades, one with 3 species and 1 with lutea and allies (if I interpret it correctly). The lutea subclade was not sufficiently resolved with the used markers which could mean a. they are a single species in that subclade or b. different markers are needed. The second option sounds strange because in the first subclade the markers were able to do so and that probably lead the authors to suspect all taxa in the lutea subclade are conspecific. But the sample density seems low and 2 taxa were not sequenced so it probably needs some additional sequencing to be sure.

However, to say they are all 1 single species seems, based on the abstract of the phylogeny at least, not entirely justified.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:18:21 PM by Pascal B »

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »

Nice colchiciflora Dima!
It is just the opposite here - no flowers this year, only leaves (and possible seed pods under ground). Last year they flowered nicely.

Poul
Thanks Poul, and when exactly did they flower at you last year? in September, or later? cause this Crimean clone I suppose flowers from August (if flowers current year))))
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
Dima,
I have two clones of colchiciflora, one from Janis Ruksans and one from Paul Christian.  Last year the first one started flowering August the 27Th and the other in the middle of September. Both under glass.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal