We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fertilising Cypripediums  (Read 5535 times)

angie

Re: Fertilising Cypripediums
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Ok I have tried a few companies and have had no luck. I got another sample from the first company I tried. They have sent 5-10mm it's looks as if there are lots of sizes in the bag so I think I will just order a few bags and see how I get on.
Maybe if someone has better luck than me they could pass on the information.
One thing I would say is how helpful this company has been.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
Hi Angie,

I'm glad you found something and I look forward to the results of your experimentation. I think I would quite like some of the larger size.
Would it be possible to post a picci of the stuff next to a tape measure/ruler? And how much did you have to pay in the end?
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
Maren,

Assuming we're talking about 5-10mm size pumice from Viresco, here's a pic for size information. This is the size that I thought I could break up, so I have two bags full. I think it's a bit big to use as the sole pumice ingredient, perhaps Angie could mix it with perlite.
As I have it available, I'm using it to bulk up orchid composts, but it constiutes no more than about 10% by volume of the compost.
(I have 2x 25kg bags and I'm not using much each time, so there's probably 10years' supply for me. If you want me to send a boxful to try, it won't weigh very much - just send me a p.m.)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

angie

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »
Hi Maren, Peter has got there before me, thanks Peter. I think I little smaller would be perfect but I am finding it hard to source. I was quoted £31 for 25kg bag.  I thought I would order two bags, or maybe I could get a smaller size 2-3mm and mix.I was going to mix with a little compost, what do you think Peter.
Since I am here , do I need to pot up my Cypripediums up every year.

Angie  :)
Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
I wish I was still selling pumice at that price! I hope that's including delivery?

I'd get a bag of each and mix.

My preferred mix for Cyps is just pumice and perlite. If you can avoid disturbing for a few years, so much the better but it's a temptation to see how they are doing. The good thing about this inorganic mix is the fact it falls/washes off easily and you tend not to break any roots if you do decide to dig around and have a little look.

David

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
Angie,
I was thinking about the pumice sizes that are available earlier - it's better than working  ;) - and I would agreed with David that it would better to go for a 50:50 mix of 2-3mm and 5-10mm to provide the inorganic component of the compost. I repot every year, mainly because I have leafmould added (up to 30%) and I find that this will compact over the course of a year so it's a bit inclined to cause waterlogging if left any longer.

David, I assume that you are using only pumice and perlite, with no organic component. I haven't had the courage to do this as I'm sure I wouldn't then feed often enough - although my seedling mixture has less than 5% leafmould, the rest being perlite and seramis (actually Tesco catlitter). How regularly are you feeding the plants?
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

angie

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. All I need now is to find more room that I can buy some more.
It's really useful to me to find out what others are doing.
I was lucky enough to get good plants from Anthony  :D and I feel that I have to make sure I give them the best that I can.

David I hope it was including delivery. Yes that's me. I can never wait, always looking to see what's happening underneath  ::) ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
Peter

I feed with a weak solution every feed rather than use a stronger one every week or so but give them a flush through with just water now and again. I do the same with Pleione as I find it easier just mixing the soluble Chempak fert in my water butt and using a pump and hose from there on everything. I also use tap water to re-fill it!

Up until last year I was adding some large bark chips to my mix but don't think it has any effect. The best growth has always been in a large raised bed with the pots having holes drilled in the side. I was sceptical about just using perlite and pumice but it works very well and also produces nice clean white roots.

David

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal