We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snail control  (Read 3878 times)

John85

Re: Snail control
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
The parasites used to control slugs are nematodes not worms.I don't think there is any danger for pets.
Ferramol is effective for slug control but I had poor results ,if any,for snails.

Ezeiza

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
John, it is well known that nematodes are used to kill slugs, etc. Parasite WORMS live inside the slugs and snails and are passed on to poultry that eat them. There are many cases of a parasite living in different organisms as a parasite not as killer.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

ArnoldT

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
If I recall my microbiology correctly parasitism can take many forms.

Symbiotic is when one benefits and the host is not harmed
Commensalism is when both benefit
Parasitism host is harmed.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

wooden shoe

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
Hi John,

I do share that the pellets are quite effective against slugs but only moderately effective agains snails. Do consider that not all snails are bad boys. The grove snail (Cepaea nemoralis) for instance eats mainly dead or decaying leaves and live nettles and buttercups (and probably one or two of your very beloved plants). Your biggest enemy is probably the Brown Garden Snail (Cornu aspersum) which especially likes young plants. Enemies of the snails are hedgehogs, voles, moles, rats, mice, toads, frogs, blackbirds, other thrushes, magpies, other Corvidae, ducks and chicken. Not all are welcome in your garden, but you may build a small pool for the amphibians or have a stone as anvil for the thrushes, but as a rock gardener you probably have that already. Toads, hedgehogs and magpies will not only eat snails, but do eat slugs too.

As other treatment you may of course collect the snails from under large leaves. An other way is digging in cups of beer. The snails walk in at night and drown in a delirium.

As for the pellets, I consider the best one those which are based on ferro-phosphate. It is chemically a salt and just as dangerous as table salt. Long before it will get dangerous for a dog, cat hedgehog or whatever larger animal, they will stop eating it. Slugs however are very sensitive to salt. They taste the outside of the pellet which consists of some kind of attractive stuff for them and swallow the pellet. In their intestines the cover is digested and the salty ferro-phosphate comes free. That's probably not very nice if you are a slug. They get all rubbery and search for water or for cover, but it's too late for them. They die dehydrated. Ferro-phosphate can be used as a fertilizer too so it's not at all dangerous for plants. As I wrote it does work against snails too, but only moderately.

A personal finding is that plants which are sown outside are much more resistant to snails and slugs than those which were pampered in a greenhouse.

good luck, Rob

Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
It was very hot here this morning and extremely humid... ideal for slugs and snails....  >:(
I made a walk through the garden and this was the "harvest"  ;D

You may notice that one youngster tried to escape, but I can tell you that the attempt failed !  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »
Is there a French recipe on today's lunch menu, Luc?  :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
Escargots bourguignons...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Escargots bourguignons...  ;D

.... and chips? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SusanS

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
In order to protect plants in the garden we use a natural product called "Slug gone".  It is a mix of sheep muck and wool and is supplied in a pelleted form.  The pellets are sprinkled around the plants to form a barrier, once wetted the pellets expand to create a mat.  The salts / oils in the wool irritate the slug / snail foot discouraging them from crossing the barrier to reach the plant.  The sheep muck in the pellets gradually releases nutrients to the plant.

Obviously this isn't suitable for all plants. 

It has worked a treat on the herbaceous plants,  - with the obvious exception of the ones we crammed in to close to other plants.  :-X   The sneaky slugs and snails just crawled across the connecting leaves.   

Have bought a bigger bag of the stuff for next year.  ;D

Susan
Darren's t'other half

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
The sneaky slugs and snails just crawled across the connecting leaves. 

;D ;D ;) :D :D   sorry, shouldn't laugh... but it is funny..... those slimey critters are pretty crafty, eh?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SusanS

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »

;D ;D ;) :D :D   sorry, shouldn't laugh... but it is funny..... those slimey critters are pretty crafty, eh?!!

I know, I couldn't help but smile when a caterpillar in the greenhouse munched through the first ever flower stem on a plant Darren had nurtured for many years ..... he then visited the greenhouse the next few nights with a torch trying to catch the little darling as it hid during the day.  ;D
Darren's t'other half

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal