We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2009  (Read 34154 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Iris and some Irids 2009
« Reply #435 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »
me too  ;)

Your iris is such a delicate shade - it almost looks pale lavender grey - I love the markings on the falls, Oron
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #436 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »
Oron

Beautiful - but I understand it would be difficult for us to grow in the UK  :(

It would outside Arthur but some good examples have been shown on the Forum under glass. Alex showed a particularly nice one.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #437 on: November 20, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Oron

Beautiful - but I understand it would be difficult for us to grow in the UK  :(

It would outside Arthur but some good examples have been shown on the Forum under glass. Alex showed a particularly nice one.

But I still recall others saying it was difficult - Alex grows some wonderful plants very well.  Would like to believe it is otherwise as I rate this type of Iris among my favourites and would love to grow it.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #438 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
Oron

Beautiful - but I understand it would be difficult for us to grow in the UK  :(
Thank you fox,

Arthur,
I. vartanii is a low altitude species, growing not far from the Mediterranean sea.
I don't think it is hardy enough for the UK and surly needs many sunny days.
Brian Mathew told me he was growing it for quite a long period of time so  it is probably possible if grown under glass in some areas, but good ventilation is essential.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:29:31 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #439 on: November 21, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
Here is Iris kamaonensis which came out yesterday. It is quite different from Bill's (page 72) and this is true colour. The falls are strongly recurved underneath but I though it worth straightening one out to see the different colouring and marking. So strongly recurved than in being straightened, the blade has creased. I think it is very beautiful and the tawny edges, and beard enhance the otherwise purple and white mottling. I've carefully hand pollinated and am not without hope as I get a little seed on I. hookeriana from my single clone. (Well, I have 6 now but the last 5 are seedlings from the original one.)

179354-0

179356-1

179358-2
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #440 on: November 21, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
Wonderful!  I hope the pods take.  This one has been on my wish list for a few years.  You don't happen to have access to onco or regelia pollen, do you?  A cross could be most interesting.

jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #441 on: November 21, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
Lesley that is stunning am i right in saying its bearded,thats one for my hit list.
just had a look for it and found this Regelian http://www.thebotanicalnursery.com/Iris_kamaoensis.htm
im not sure if this is the same plant or another iris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:11:02 PM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #442 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
No pics available yet in the nursery link. (Great dogs though :D)
I was hoping my I. hookeriana would flower at the same time but though there's a bud starting, it's probably 2 weeks away. It is stemless whereas the one above has a short stem of about 4 cms with something else above it then the incipient capsule then a long flower tube, again about 4 or 5 cms.
I'll put the hookeriana pic below, for comparison. This from a couple of years ago. It didn't flower last year.

179401-0
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »
Yes Davey, the kamaonensis is bearded but not of the section of "bearded irises" as we generally know them, Section Iris. These have no aril or fleshy bit on the seeds unlike the other bearded species in Sections Oncocyclus, Regelia, Psammiris. These two above are in section Pseudoregelia and if your nursery link is still listing it, I'd definitely be ordering some if I were you.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
The first autumnal Iris in bloom: Iris vartanii,
Luckily i have found that growing it in shallow pots it produces new bulblis each year, otherwise i need to hand pollinate it which is a back breaking job...

Oron,

Any chance of a little bit of back breaking one of these years?  It is on our quarantine list so SOMEONE here in Aus must have it, but I haven't ever seen it available.  I am thinking that seed would be the only possibility, as we of course can't receive anything other than seed into the country.  I am not meaning necessarily this year, even next year would be wonderful.  It look to be a real beauty.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #445 on: November 22, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
Lovely Iris kamaonensis Lesly. It seems Brain Mathew wasn't that successful with seed production "....cross pollination between different clones seems to be essential....."
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #446 on: November 22, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »
Yes David, I noted (with a sinking feeling in my tummy) BM's comment and what he hasn't been able to do, it's not likely that I can. On the other hand, my climate may suit a little better. I did get seed from the closely related hookeriana, a single clone. I didn't pollinate that so assume bees or others did the trick for me. :) I may be able to get another from Louise but only worth doing if they're raised from seed in the first place.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #447 on: November 22, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »
Luckily i have found that growing it in shallow pots it produces new bulblis each year, otherwise i need to hand pollinate it which is a back breaking job...
Truly lovely, Oron!
And I'll second Paul T's request! I can offer you a free Physio consultation it you get a back ache as a result ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
Truly lovely, Oron!
And I'll second Paul T's request! I can offer you a free Physio consultation it you get a back ache as a result ;D
cheers
fermi
That's an offer you surely can't refuse, Oron... fermi has MAGIC hands.... if only I had him here now for my shoulder..... :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #449 on: November 24, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
Beautifull plant Lesley !
Never seen it flowering ! I hope you'll get seeds but seems to be very hard with only one clone  :'(
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal