We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2011  (Read 43114 times)

Lukas H

Re: Cypripedium 2011
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Wow, thanks for posting these beautyful orchids in their habitat. Even when the habitat in this case seems really special!  :) But when it is growing as inaccessable as this plant, there is a chance of survival.

Keep posting we are all "hungry" to your pictures!  :D

Regards

Lukas
Basel area
northwestern part of Switzerland
elevation: 342m
climate zone 8a

yijiawang

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
my pleasure you enjoy these unclear pictures... I took them on June-30th,y2010.  farreri is grow on moist lime cliff, Lime stone--moss, their roots in moss---same as epiphytic plants.. very hard to near plants because slippery .

In the third picture, you could find some purple spot---Pleione limprichtii

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »
The first of my Cypripedium to flower this year, it has been out for a week now.

Cypripedium fasciolatum
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »
I acquired this little fellow last year and the flower didn't open correctly.
I'm pleased to see it rectified the problem.

Cypripedium plectrochilum
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Lukas H

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Dear Yijia,

thank you very much I just love farreri. But as it is very hard to get as a seedling, I don't cultivate one. But I have still some years to wait, until there is a chance to get one. But Pleione limprichtii I grow. But seeing them just in one picture is amazing. But if farreri is growing lithophytic together with limprichtii, I know why it is so hard to grow well! To imitate these conditions in the lowlands is close to impossible...
Basel area
climate zone 8a

Lukas H

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
Dear Fred,

Thanks for the perfect pictures. The plants seem to be well grown. Nice form of fasciolatum with the elongated narrow lip.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:57:32 PM by Lukas H »
Basel area
climate zone 8a

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »
The first of my Cypripedium to flower this year, it has been out for a week now.

Cypripedium fasciolatum
Fred it looks like your on form again this year mate.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
here outside C.formosanum in ful bloom, in the cold greenhouse C.'Gisela'
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
my pleasure you enjoy these unclear pictures... I took them on June-30th,y2010.  farreri is grow on moist lime cliff, Lime stone--moss, their roots in moss---same as epiphytic plants.. very hard to near plants because slippery .

yijiawang thank fo the pictures in the wild at what altitude did you find the pleione?
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
here my first flowering in the garden C fasciolatum and the cyp equivalent of LAZARUS. This appears to be a shoot of japonicum which was lost 2 years ago. I have had hybrids resurrect  but never species. It tells that in future not to disturb plants that have apparently died and to leave well alone
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
beautiful C.fasciolatum, Ian; nice to see plants in their habitat Yijia
here two Hybrids from Japan: 1.C.macranthos x C.calceolus; 2.C.macranthos x C.calceolus
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

yijiawang

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
my pleasure you enjoy these unclear pictures... I took them on June-30th,y2010.  farreri is grow on moist lime cliff, Lime stone--moss, their roots in moss---same as epiphytic plants.. very hard to near plants because slippery .

yijiawang thank fo the pictures in the wild at what altitude did you find the pleione?
Hello Ian
Thank  you for asking me this question, I doubt this species too, because altitude, and lip.
Because here is Cypripedium item, so I show the pictures of this Pleione in
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6445.msg197016#msg197016

edit by maggi to give exact link to post
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:16:55 PM by Maggi Young »

yijiawang

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
Dear Yijia,

thank you very much I just love farreri. But as it is very hard to get as a seedling, I don't cultivate one. But I have still some years to wait, until there is a chance to get one. But Pleione limprichtii I grow. But seeing them just in one picture is amazing. But if farreri is growing lithophytic together with limprichtii, I know why it is so hard to grow well! To imitate these conditions in the lowlands is close to impossible...

Hello Lukas,
  My pleasure! A friend of mine who live in Kunming, China. He grow 2 plants of farreri, and they seem like not very hard to grow in artificial conditions-----City is much warmer than situ, average temperature higher 10C than it. Just need offer better draining compost. He use pure pumice, pot stand in a shallow tray with 2cm deep water, usually watering the plants in growing season. I saw the new noses and roots grow fairly nice!.
  I think your country temperature is similar to Kunming's, and more humidity---more like situ.
  Those limprichtii....en, need confirm again, because strange altitude and lip.

Lukas H

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
With this species I have heard, from a friend of mine who lives not far from where I come from, that he grew a batch of 50 seedlings. Only one reached maturity...!

Here are some pictures of easier to grow Cypripedium.

Cypripedium japonicum is the first Cyp which is flowering in the garden. But I had three plants and lost one in winter. But the remeining two have 9 Stems and 2 flowers. But last year I had 11 Shoots with 7 Flowers... Hope the remaining use the free space now. But as I saw by Ian, there is still hope and I should not dig in the site...

Gabriela I grew out of flask to flowering size. And the flower is really huge! I am going to look foreward to the next seaseon with hopefully more flowers! :-)
Basel area
climate zone 8a

monocotman

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
hi there,
the pot grown plants are finally doing their thing.
I've definitely lost a few flowers from the extreme cold in December. The shoots have grown OK but there are very small aborted buds at the base of a few. Macranthos hotei and tibeticum aborted buds as did a few hybrids. Sometimes it was only some of the shoots of a particular plant.
As shoot growth seems to be fine, I'm assuming that the roots were unaffected.
First up are a couple of new clones of macranthos. Both are from crosses between specific pale coloured clones.
The first photo is from a mac. pink x semi alba.Nice but I prefer the second one.
This semi alba x semi alba produced just 25% semi alba seedlings - a nice 3:1 ratio - must be a single gene that caused this pale flower.
Next up is a lovely clone of Aki light( macranthos x pubescens). I received this in a trade for another plant. Thanks Maren!
It is almost a pure yellow with just a bit of red veining on the dorsal. An unusual colour- I don't have another plant with this colour.
Lastly we have Sabine pastel - fasciolatum x macranthos, but another pale clone. The petals are ivory and the lip almost pure white.
This looks to be a promising grex which has large, striking flowers and grows quickly,

Regards,

David

'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal