We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tunbridge wells local group AGS show.  (Read 2580 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Tunbridge wells local group AGS show.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi David
           The main thing is your members, are they all willing to get involved in some way, this is very important. You will need a venue that is not expensive but central with passing trade, parking and with catering facilities, a kitchen at least. The venue you use for your meetings may suffice, has it got tables you can use. You need to appoint a show secretary and you will have an initial outlay at first, you will need drapes, class dividers,printing ie class cards and entry cards and schedules etc. Plant sales donated by members, a tombola with prizes donated by members, cakes and teas etc donated by members and people to man all these things. Timing is important, you must fix a time when the majority of your members have the most in flower, for us it is March as we have some good Dionysia, primula and sax growers. You must advertise the show at every chance you get,local press, local radio,posters in libaries, other local groups, the main AGS, banners and posters on the day. You must also avoid as far as possible other events on the same day in your area and national shows. We do not have prize money but we do have trophies, we have a lady who does tapestry and makes something framed for us, prize cards and local group medals are free from the AGS centre at pershore as are prize stickers. So I would say go for it and if you make a small profit and gain a few new members than thats great, but it is hard work and it needs every member to get involved and the more they put in the more you will get out.. Good luck.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Mant thanks for that Pat. I'll keep plugging away (I seem to be the only one concerned that if we loose members at the rate we have lost them this year our group will be unviable in two years time) I agree it needs to be very much a team effort.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
David, I am show secretary for a small show for Highland Rock Garden Club. Many years ago we started in one room of the agricultural college but have slowly built up to a much larger event for the public. In my experience, the first thing to realise is that the local public do not come in to look at your lovely plants on the show bench. Joe Public comes in for his morning coffee and home bakes; gardeners come in to buy plants from your club sales table! After that they might have a quick look at the show. These two items are important because they provide our club with extra money to bring in good speakers in the winter and it is the quality of your talks that increases membership.
Of course, you do need an attractive show but it is primarily for the enjoyment of your members.
Other than what has been said by others you need some other 'side shows' eg noncompetitive plant displays, auricula theatre, photo displays and whatever to keep the attention of visitors, particularly if the teas and plant sales are open whilst judging is still going on. And finally, some leaflets about your group for the visitors to take away with them.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
Thanks for that David, all information that will come in handy.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal