We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2011  (Read 34558 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Crocus March 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
I don't have a collection of crocus and nothing 'special' but 'Ard Schenk' never fails and I think it's special.
We've had no rain for weeks but the sun hasn't shone either, and I began to think they were going to go over without opening. Today the sun shone on them and they opened.

Crocus 'Ard Schenk'
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:56:22 PM by Graham Catlow »
Bo'ness. Scotland

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
Ibrahim,
why don't you soak them with a watering can to imitate floated meadow?

Luc,
fine croci. 'Prinz Claus' is a nice appearance but I find it a weak doer in my meadow. Do you kept it for a long time?
Is there a significant difference between 'Firefly' and 'Stunner'?

Jamie,
the rounded flowers resemble cv. "Yellow Mammoth" (angustifolius x flavus). It has a few thin short stripes on the outside.
I believe almost everybody made similar bad experiences after having bought cheap croci from garden center or super markets.
Goldilocks substitutes E.P. Bowles, Dorothy subst. Fuscotinctus or Gipsy Girl, C.etruscus 'Zwanenburg' subst. any blue flowering species...
It's a bit of lottery... ::)

Janis,
good luck for cross pollination and a bit warmer conditions with less snow and frost!

Frankie,
nice cultivars. 'Advance' is so nice but in my meadow (heavy loam soil) it is one of the very weak bloomers :'(.

Karl,
marvelous croci!
Like the velvet veluchensis, purple stem chrysanthus and the well contrasted biflorus ssp. weldenii 8)

Graham,
nice clump! 8) I agree 'Ard Schenk' is an excellent large flowering chrysanthus hybrid/cultivar.
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
I had purchased a bag of C. 'Advance', but they are all blooming as some blue-white, a bit like Prinz Claus, but not so round and a bit less intense in colour.  What a drag!

Does anyone know a 100% reliable source for Crocus Advance? I have bought it twice and been disappointed twice.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
  Armin thanks for advice I do that each week but it seems that is not enough,

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
Mark,  I got mine at the Discussion Weekend last year and they have been stunning.  Luit brought them....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

Luc,
fine croci. 'Prinz Claus' is a nice appearance but I find it a weak doer in my meadow. Do you kept it for a long time?
Is there a significant difference between 'Firefly' and 'Stunner'?

Hi Armin,

I don't grow "Firefly" Armin, I had not heard of the name "Stunner" before either, but as I saw the potfol being offered for sale, I couldn't resist...  ;D... as happens so (too) often...  ::)

I must admit, I grew Prins Claus some years ago and then suddenly lost it for no obvious reason.  This is a newly planted (last autumn) clump, so I'll have to wait and see again....
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »
My easy days finished. Although outside still is more than half meter of snow, temperature started to rise and today I took away covering in my greenhouses and... Crocus flowers exploded as firework. Second half of day up to dark were passed with camera - so now you will have "floods" of my pictures every day. And not only Crocuses - Snowdrops, Eranthis, spring colchicums, reticulata irises etc. etc. Only days are too short. So in this entry
At first Crocus biflorus adamii - from Bulgaria and Armenia - quite far distance, may be different, but must be checked
Next two although labeled as adamii, most likely are different. They comes from Iran. I mostly like this one with yellow flush on outside
Follows Crocus adanensis - note the prominent white zone surrounding yellow throat
The one of my brightest C. olivieri
and as last in this entry - again member of biflorus family - subsp. artvinensis
Janis
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:10:18 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »
Now Crocus biflorus subsp. atrospermus. First two pictures are from type collection of Helmut Kerndorff and Erich Pasche, others are my acquisitions. Some doubt about this black anthered plant. I don't remember that I collected such in wild, but may be... Those samples are carefully kept and replanted from pot to pot, to avoid some mix. Problem with this very spectacular subspecies is that it can be identified with certainity only when you receive seed crop - if they are black - it means OK!
Janis
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:12:31 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »
For some break in blue - now some quite unusual forms of Crocus chrysanthus. At first those with black anthers or at least with black connective. Then typical chrysanthus, collected at Ossa - that one I got by wish of Jim Archibald. And as "cream" touch - natural hybrid between chrysanthus and biflorus isauricus.
Janis

I.S.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
  Janis You made a süper entry to your crocus season :) realy admirable crocuses!
First I was thinking that kind of adanensis with white corona might be some hybridation with paschei!
A püre adanensis should has püre yellow throat. isn't it!
 Your adamii also looks different them mines!
 For me the best ones are first two chrysanthus. I was planning to see them also last week but my time was limited so I had to shorten thr trip.

I.S.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
 And your atrospermus with black anthers. I don't believe that it can't be neither atrospermus nor ionopharynx. I have visited a atrospermus location last year but there were no one with balck anthers :-\
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:08:00 PM by ibrahim »

ArnoldT

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »
Here's two whose labels were lost in the recent ice age.

edit by maggi to the pix
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:01:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
Janis the last two  Crocus chrysanthus are incredible wow stunning finds you must be over the moon with them finds.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »

Luc,

Here's my Crocus Prins Claus group next to the raised bed. Doing (still)? well since at least 4 years.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »
Does anyone know a 100% reliable source for Crocus Advance? I have bought it twice and been disappointed twice.  

Mine came from Kevock about 5 years ago, I bought 6 different cultivars for naturalising in the lawn.  'Advance' is surviving, but not doing particularly well (nor is Zwanenburg bronze or Romance).  The ones that are doing best are Ard Schenk, Bluebird and Negro Boy.  
Pictures are:
Crocus 'Advance'
Crocus 'Ard Schenk'
Crocus 'Bluebird' and 'Negro Boy'
Crocus 'Negro Boy'

And  not in the lawn, but in the rockery, seems to almost glow:
Crocus 'Whitewell Purple'

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:59:49 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal