We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2011  (Read 86020 times)

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
Re: Galanthus March 2011
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
Thank you Maren for the translation. Sorry, but you can see all my few plants on pic two. But I  twinscaled last year.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
Sorry Alan, only in very few numbers. But these 3 types were twinscaled. Crossed fingers

That's okay, Hagen.  I do worse myself, showing pictures of snowdrops I am excited about on the forum even if I only have the one bulb!  It just means that I, and others, will have to wait patiently (with crossed fingers) if we want to get hold of any of these beautiful snowdrops you are showing us. 
Almost in Scotland.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
Hello John, the color of CHADWICKS CREAM is much deeper. I saw it this year first time.
DAS GELBE VOM EI only starts with this kind of cream (is looks like the color of some eggshells, off-white), but the middle looks intensiv like egg yolk, I learned by Maren.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
you can put me on the list for that one too Hagen!

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
Nothing compared to those nice ones from Hagen a bunch of spikes i found today.
And my Beth Chatto "form" that was bought before 2000 and sold as Beth Chatto!

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
Dear John,

well I paid more for it... ::)

I wait until next year, when it still has the same appearance i could spare a bulb.

Thank you very much for getting the picture. Another thing:

I urgently need a photo of South Hayes- especially the foliage, have you got one?

Kind regards, Martina

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »
Hi Martina

Here are a couple of pictures of 'South Hayes' for you from 2010.  The first shows the foliage and was taken in Rod and Jane Leeds garden.  The second is the flower in my garden (and this is the picture I use as my laptop desktop  8)).

You can also use the wonderful search facility on this forum to search many years worth of posts where other pictures are available - I just put 'South Hayes' into the search box and received two pages of results going back to 2008.

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
A link to the Telegraph article about the Galanthus "Immortals" lunch with a group photo and, if you click to the next photo, a key to the people with their names. Not sure how long this will stay on the Telegraph website, but if you want to you can right-click on both pics and save them onto your computer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/plants/8376143/Snowdrops-Celebrating-the-Immortals.html

Click on the little black box with the arrow on the right of the first pic and that will take you to the second pic with the key and names.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:59:11 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

freddyvl

« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
. Steve, David and John: beautiful pics of fantastic drops !

. Hagen, what to say ? Pics and drops as usual for you: "breathtaking", superb !!!
Note: Based on the responses of the forumnists you have to start a "twinscale-factory"  ;) ;)

. Steve, John (and others) below a picture of (what I have as) 'The Whopper':

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
A link to the Telegraph article about the Galanthus "Immortals" lunch

Thank you Martin - they must have put this up after I checked.
Nice to see you!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #310 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:20 AM »
JohnW, so DAS GELBE VOM EI start to flower.

Veilleicht Poscierte Eier ist veil besser.  ;)

Wünderschön!

:o :o :o

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
vielleicht pochierte Eier mit einigen Räucherlachs viel besser ist?

275656-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #312 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
Hello Steve, good late collection. Can you tell something about MOTHERING MORN and LITTLE DRIP please (niv elw plic)
Hagen
Mothering Sunday was named by me but originated from the orchard at Avon Bulbs four years ago. The name is intended to perpetuate the lovely old English name instead of the awful American "Mothers Day".   I wonder how the Americans would feel if we renamed their very nicxe "Thanksgiving" as "Thanks Day"?

Little Drip was named by Michael Baron of Brandymount and is chronicled on p.245 of Snowdrops.

Jennie, Jennie Owen is one of my seedlings; its my last elwesii to flower and is named for my eldest daughter. And The Whopper always does that!
Steve

Steve

Jennie Owen is a lovely snowdrop, but I cannot see how it differs from Galanthus elwesii I have bought from garden centres, or indeed the flowers I have in my garden.

Have you proposed that Matt Bishop adds it to the next big book?
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #313 on: March 16, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
Art therein lies the problem of a pic,I wouldn't imagine that Steve would put his Daughter's name to just any drop,from the pic you can only tell the shape and colour, what we are not seeing is size,vigour ect.,and with the amount of drops that mans got and the knowledge of the subject he has that's going to be quite a special plant, i should imagine.
 ;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

TheNorm

• Obsessive collector of many things esp. Galanthus
« Reply #314 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

Wanted some feedback about an albino nivalis I found in a clump a couple of years back.  Have three or four now, but planning to twinscales as although it is by no means the only one available, it grows well and flowers reliably with very little or no sinus markings.  My problem is, I struggle to like them.  Much prefer the strength of markings that you get with most Snowdrops.  Will say this though; when the sun shines through them, they glow. Have attached a picture below (sadly, today is very dull).  Once I have sufficient numbers, I'll be happy to share out some to anyone interested in one or two.

Much as this is the Galanthus forum page, as polymaths, I imagine that someone could help me with an ID of what I believe to be a Scilla.  Very dwarf, only 2" (5cm) above ground with quite broad leaves.  Flowers are white, suffused with vibrant blue which fades after a few days.  Each bulb only produces one flower as best I can see.  Photos attached (I hope).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Lewis

Edit: this "blue" question diverted to another thread!
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6916.0

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:16:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Lewis, Tonbridge, Kent, but a true Scot!

'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.' - Arthur Conan Doyle.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal