We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now August 2007  (Read 36941 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Flowering now August 2007
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
In between the showers I managed to get these.
Eucomis Cabernet Candles was the plant with the green foliage Paddy
Calceolaria integrifolia now flowering from a cutting taken from Ann Borrill earlier this year
Crocosmia Okavango
Crocosmia Solfaterre which has bronze foliage
Kniphofia Prince Igor standing at only 6 feet this year
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »
Prince Igor standing at only 6 feet this year
I thought 6 foot was pretty good.... the result of National Health orange juice, I expect. Does he normally get even taller, then? You should get the Eremurus varieties 'Joanna' and 'Jean-Claire'.... they are very tall girls who could keep the Prince company ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Yes Maggie he has reached the top of the Gazebo before now!  'Brutus' is another Eremurus who would be happy to keep 'Joanna' and 'Jean-Claire' company ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »
I got home from work to find this monster in the middle of my new raised bed. Well where my new raised bed and bulb frames were to be. From memory the base is 5x12 feet. The house was assessed last week and we were selected to have new loft insulation and a new heating boiler and radiators all for free. The existing oild tank was "too close to next doors tank and too close to the house and had to me moved. Single skin tanks are no longer allowed to be sold. This one has a double skin in case of attack". I have no need for this monster tank. I said once you are gone I'll reinstate the old tank and sell the new one. "no you wont because we are taking the old one away and you will be breaking the law" I wasnt consulted on where this should be sited. The height of the tank is 5feet 1.5m
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 11:45:56 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2007, 11:47:13 PM »
How thoughtful of them...then it is a right proper looking foundation!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53:36 PM »
They said the foundation had to be that big in case of an oil spill and to be able to walk around it. I was ready to tell them where to go this afternoon. I did ask for it to be moved tight against the greenhouse but they said no

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:02 AM »
Poor Mark, it's hideous. It'll be a tricky task to disguise the damn thing, that's for sure.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »
I havent thought about that yet. It would make me go back to coal except they took out the back boiler. The reason being someone in the future might reinstate a fire. Huh!!?

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »
Re the double skin - didn't the Titanic have one of those? ::)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »
You know what they say about there being no such thing as a free lunch!!!

How about hiding it by building a tufa wall around it. They can be fantastic for growing some of the more tricky alpines and being so light could be removed fairly easily if needs be.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2007, 01:59:21 PM »
Mark, so many regulations these days seem ridiculously safety-conscious. It's the legal-blame culture. Everyone, especially councils, are scared stiff of being sued if something goes wrong. Yet somehow it's an acceptable risk for government to plan to slap a new generation of nuclear power stations across the country rather than seriously exploit our vast potential for safe renewable wind, wave and tidal energy (I think they want to use up all that reprocessed and reprocessable nuclear fuel we have sitting around). And it's an acceptable risk to continue having a nuclear-armed submarine fleet based in Scotland. But God forbid you should have your oil tank anywhere but smack bang in the middle of the garden in case someone decides to "attack" it! (they'd have to be some pretty unambitious terrorists  ;D).

I can't advise you to break "regulations". But if it were me, I'd let the jobs-worths install the new tank then look at ways to relocate or replace it myself and make use of that nice concrete base for frames or a raised bed.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
Just be glad you're not doing it here in the states. I think we could teach you a thing or two about over-regulation.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2007, 07:13:17 PM »
Mark, so many regulations these days seem ridiculously safety-conscious. It's the legal-blame culture. Everyone, especially councils, are scared stiff of being sued if something goes wrong. Yet somehow it's an acceptable risk for government to plan to slap a new generation of nuclear power stations across the country rather than seriously exploit our vast potential for safe renewable wind, wave and tidal energy (I think they want to use up all that reprocessed and reprocessable nuclear fuel we have sitting around). And it's an acceptable risk to continue having a nuclear-armed submarine fleet based in Scotland. But God forbid you should have your oil tank anywhere but smack bang in the middle of the garden in case someone decides to "attack" it! (they'd have to be some pretty unambitious terrorists  ;D).

I can't advise you to break "regulations". But if it were me, I'd let the jobs-worths install the new tank then look at ways to relocate or replace it myself and make use of that nice concrete base for frames or a raised bed.

Mark, having looked at the height of that base it looks eminently 'trippable' to me. A well judged fall, without causing you too much damage, and the threat of an insurance claim as a result of it, might just make them think twice! :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »
John it has already crossed my mind to do something on the south side of the tank. I think I will relocate it once all boxes have been ticked by the bosses

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »
Their regulations and rules are ridiculous and their attitude disgraceful. I hope you are able to move it Mark. After all, where would they have put it if you hadn't had the concrete pad there already? On the solid concrete front door step?

Even when you get it moved (you'll have to do it before the oil goes in, too heavy otherwise) I still like John's tufa wall idea. Or large pots around the base with climbing, clinging plants in them. Let the damn thing be useful.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal