We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early spring in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 67732 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Early spring in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »
I planted them Lesley when I got them as roots had started. So far nothing but I'll look this morning
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »
Great pictures Lesley, you got time on your hands?? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »
Fermi, Sydling can be found on the Daffseek page,  http://daffseek.org/query
Lesley, it's great to see all your flowers, and if you ever have spare seed of your Narcissus cuatrecasasii, would you think of me, please? :D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rob

« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »
Loads of great pictures have been added to this thread. I particularly like the dark leaved Erythroniums.
Midlands, United Kingdom

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »
Well, early spring in the shouthern hemisphere looks to be very much worthwhile  ;D
Great pix from superb plants.

Thanks a lot everyone - your pix and comments really brighten up our dull, grey autumn days...
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »
Many thanks everyone. We down here love to spread a little sunshine among our northern friends (actually, as I sit here typing, it's SNOWING!)

Anne I'll certainly send some if there is any this year. Too soon to tell yet as they're just starting but I had seed last year and the year before, which I sowed and the first buds are on the first batch already, just 18 months from germination.

Yes, the Erythronium leaves are brilliant, even if there were no flowers at all. Paul, the `Ruapuna Dawn' went to Australia in the early autumn. It is probably still in quarantine, but no doubt will be spread about in time.

No time on my hands really David, just a built-in reluctance to do the dishes, make the beds, put the washing on etc. But I'll go and look at my seeds now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:03:03 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »
I've had a look at my seedlings of N. cuatrecasasii and the newly budded ones are from 2004 seeds, so 2 and a half years from seed, not 1 and a half. (Actually about 2 and a quarter from germination.)I thought that was not quite believable :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2007, 04:55:35 AM »
Lesley,

Exactly.... even when out of flower they look great.  I guess I'll start looking around for that variety in about 4 or 5 years then.  To be honest, I think that your other revolutum is better in leaf and definitely the flower colour.  I love the strong pink Erythroniums, and so hard to find good ones.  Well done if that is one of your own seedlings, or else well done to whoever selected it. ;D  Beautiful!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:59:39 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »
Here's the first bloom on Oenothera acaulis (syn. O.taraxifolia) - missed it last night but it was still open this morning.
31025-0

The Moraeas are doing well this year. I posted this one to the South African Bulb thread and Paul has pointed out that it's most likely a hybrid between M. villosa and M. aristata.
31027-1

Lesley,
those erythroniums are beautifyl!

Paul,
stop skiting about getting something that isn't even on his list yet!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
Fermi,

Who's skiting?  I was lamenting that it would be at least 4 or 5 years before he'd list it.  Definitely no skiting involved unfortunately..... wish I could be skiting in that manner!!  ;D  All this depends on it settling in and multiplying enough for him to list it of course..... I'll be waiting just the same as everyone else.  Oh to have a quarantine setup or access to one.  So many things, so little money!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »
Oooh I like that Moraea. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:44 PM »
Actually lads, the erythronium didn't go to Marcus this time, but to that dear man who lives close to Otto. I'll be seeing him at the Trillium weekend in Methven, weekend after this coming one.

Paul you're welcome to whatever seed they produce this year. The paler one doesn't come true though, with almost white flowers and fairly green leaves, almost exactly like 'White Beauty' in fact, which I'm sure is the other parent. But as I'm sure the BD would agree, any erythronium's a good erythronium.

The deeper pink is from seed of Stewart Preston's deep pinks which probably started out as E. revolutum johnsonii but Stewart has always had a good eye for something special and has distributed many such things to lucky people like me. I have a single bulb who's flowers are almost crimson! He lives just about 15 kms from me. This form (page 21) also sets seed and does come reasonably true, some variation of course but all worth growing and at least a few will be outstanding. If there's some this season I'll send it along.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:00:06 PM by Lesley Cox »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #328 on: October 03, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »
Lesley,

Hmmmm... that gives better chances of me hassling for some in a few years then!!  ;D  Thanks for seed offers.... always well wroth trying stuff from Erythronium hybrids as you just never know.  That dark pink one with the dark leaves is of particular interest as it just has so many wonderful qualities (but to be honest there aren't that many Erythronium with BAD qualities!!  ;))  With our conditions I am cutting down on seed sowing for the next couple of years, but that one is worth making the exception for, just for the chance of getting leaves like those.

Main exciting thing for me at the moment is Jeffersonia dubia, flowering for the first time ever from me from seed sown a few years ago.  Very excited about this as something I have wanted to see for many years but this is the first time.  Very cute little thing, and a delightful blue.  Probably fairly mundane to a lot of you, as so many unsual things in Australia tend to be!!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:30:41 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #329 on: October 07, 2007, 10:19:55 AM »
Hi Lesley - I'm spending a few days here with Otto in Olinda. Absolutely jam-packed with garden visits and meeting lots of people, some whom I have met before on earlier visits to the Dandenongs. Saw my first double Trillium rivale in Viv Condon's garden yesterday and have just returned from Cloudhill Nursery brimming with admiration at Jeremy Frances'  imaginative design and his ability to surprise and delight. Have included here 2 pics of Otto's Trillium rivale seedlings and another of Viv's double. Hope they delight. The Erythronium "Ruapuna Dawn" is still alive and kicking (or growing) in quarantine in AQIS' Hobart Quarantine Station. Your photo of it on the forum looks very similar to a hybrid between revolutum and oregonum that has been growing for at least 20 years - see pic. Also revolutum is self sown abundantly here at Otto's, almost to the point of becoming one of the "beautiful weeds". Nearby at Tonkin's old nursery there are tens of thousands of E. revolutum naturalised throughout the gardens - a breathtaking sight and one we hope AQIS doesn't see!!! Joke only. Otto thinks the most intensively mottled leaves, in shades of brown, are on dens canis ssp caucasicum and ssp japonicum. Cheers and best wishes from Otto and me (Marcus)
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal