We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2011  (Read 43629 times)

alpinelover

Re: Cyclamen 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »
This Cyclamen coum is starting flowering today in the garden.
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
Melvyn - From your hederifolium seed. You can see the first leaf on the right - silver but not earth-shattering, second leaf produced to the left  - much the same.  What's exciting are the two new leaves that appeared this week showing fairly strong pink for a hederifolium and ala mirabile. Excuse the photos taken under fluorescents.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 03:36:33 AM »
John,

Wow, they are pink, aren't they!!  I'd never heard of pink in hederifolium leaves until here on these forums.  Keep us posted on how this seedling develops.  I can only imagine how impressive that could look as a mature plant producing a mass on new leaves. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »
Just a couple of seed grown Cyclamen coum. The first one, for some reason (amnesia!), didn't get into my database and I haven't a clue where I got the seed from or when I sowed it. The second came as C. coum Silver Leaf Form was from SRGC Seed Ex, 1054/07 sown late August 2008 and flowering for the first time. I'm a bit late in picturing this and some of the flowers are obviously past their best.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »
A Cyclamen kuznetzovii from Janis.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
A Cyclamen kuznetzovii from Janis.

Alex - Great to see a flower on kuznetzovii at long last. I have hopes it will be hardier than the rather unreliable coum.  I have only one seedling but it is happy enough under lights but not inclined to start into growth just yet. Have you noticed minute reddish hairs on undeveloped shoots near the growing point?  I though they were rather unusual but can't say I've compared with anything other than hairless coums here.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:55:11 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
It's very nice Alex but it looks like plain old coum to me, or am I being a philistine. I couldn't find any reference to it in Grey-Wilson 2002 so any help to improve my eduction would be appreciated.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArnoldT

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
This one is a shy flowerer.  A deep color.
Cyclamen coum 'Yayladgi'
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:04:07 PM by Maggi Young »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
It's very nice Alex but it looks like plain old coum to me, or am I being a philistine. I couldn't find any reference to it in Grey-Wilson 2002 so any help to improve my eduction would be appreciated.
May depend on which of CG-W's books you read?

This may be a little help.....only abstract and first page available...
http://www.springerlink.com/content/3q74h3155002101t/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pascal B

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
Some Cyclamen persicum. The pale pink right is flowering since september, the left is just coming into flower and was grown from seeds from the AGS-seedex some 5 years ago as C. persium "deep pink". Never had it in flower but oddly the flowerstalks are half the length of the normal forms like the white next to it. It is indeed deep pink but is a very compact, robust plant. Need to pamper it a bit this year so I can have more flowers on it next year but it is a strange persicum....

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Hi David,

I'm afraid I can't give chapter and verse, we'll need to ask Janis to comment. i do know that this taxon is not recognised by many European botanists but is apparently better recognised locally, hence the article Maggi links to (Moscow Botanical Journal or whatever it was!)

alex

Gerry Webster

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »

David - see C G-W's second book (1997) p 70 & p 171. According to him, it is what it looks like i.e., a form of C. coum.subsp. coum.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »

David - see C G-W's second book (1997) p 70 & p 171. According to him, it is what it looks like i.e., a form of C. coum.subsp. coum.

Thanks for that Gerry, I have the 2002 update of the 1997 book and I found it from your page references. I agree with CG-W, I'm sure he'd be pleased to know that! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Brightening up my day C alpinum from Cyclamen Soc seed sown some 3 years ago. My larger plants are not yet in flower
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »
One Cyclamen coum grows in my garden - today I found it in flower!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal