We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Madeira blog  (Read 9553 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: A three week Madeira blog
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:58 AM »
I guess it doesn't show up too well on the resized image.  :-[  I'll try and crop the photo around the lizard when I am in the internet cafe as their computers are better than this one in the hotel reception.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Great pictures, they really tell a story. I love the one of your mum and dad at dinner, that'll be one for the mantelpiece??? :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »
Is that it bottom left of this crop John?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
Dead centre here, I think.

Brian, we must have been thinking of this at the same time. Ah, well, good to have time for such leisure pursuits.

And, I think we have both pinpointed the little bugger.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Well spotted guys. 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
Wednesday 29th December

Another rainy night. Looked like the sun might come out so we caught a bus to Garajau intending to have a ride on the little cable car there that takes you down to the beach. Arrived in Garajau to gale force winds and the cable car was closed for safety reasons.  Then the heavens opened and we took refuge in a small cafe for morning coffee and cake. A break in the clouds and I strolled along to 'Cristo Rei' (a big statue on a cliff).

1 & 2 - Cristo Rei

3 - The rain stopped and we actually got some sunshine to walk along to Canico. Saw this rather interesting house on the way (in fact there were a lot of rather nice houses in that area - but most had small gardens  ::) )

4 & 5 - I've not noticed this weed before in Madeira - but now I have seen it once I kept seeing it again today - not sure what it is though.

6 & 7 - Nice Aeonium clump - with a little critter on it (anyone recognise him?)

8 - Impressive 'tree' in a front garden

9 & 10 - And a few other snaps from the the day
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:50:38 PM by Maggi Young »
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »
and one more picture from yesterday.
John

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
You are certainly getting variable weather for your holidays. Lovely weed that and I see that some of the seed pods are ripe or nearly ripe so you can collect. I thought the flower looked like an incarvillea but the foliage doesn't match, I think. Is that tree the "Elephant Foot Tree"? Impressive!

Enjoy. Paddy

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
Thursday 30th December

Woke to a rather nice day for a change. ;D   Ma and Pa were meeting their friends off the Cunard 'Queen Victoria' for the day so I was left to my own devices until tea time.  I decided to get the bus to the Socoriddos valley and walk some of the Levada de Piornais.  Unfortunately the bus has changed it's route since I last caught it and took me to a completely different place!  I then had to pay the fair to return to where I started and try again!    :-\

I eventually arrived where I wanted to be 90 minutes later than I intended.   ::)  The Socoriddos valley is well known for farming, particularly for bananas.  (pics 1 & 2).  I noticed these rather nice entrance steps to somebodies house.  (pic 3)

The Levada has some high drops but these are mostly well protected, and a few short tunnels.  It is not the most exciting walk available but is within easy reach of Funchal and has a few nice views.  (pics 4 to 9)
John

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
Lovely place for a walk, John. The gorges are amazing.
Paddy

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
Friday 31st December

Another nice day.  Decided to hop on the bus to the botanic garden.  Tonight is going to be the really big New Year firework display that Funchal is famous for.  There will be 5 cruise ships docked and 6 further at anchor in the bay.  The fireworks will be set off from 45 different sites around the city (one is bang in the middle of the palm area of the botanic garden!)

1 - can you believe this is the first time I have ever taken a picture of the bedding plants - but thought a blog featuring the botanic garden wouldn't be complete without it!   :D

2 - no idea what this is but interesting fruit - I wanted to eat one but ten decided that may not be such a good idea! :-\

3 - one of the firework launch sites being made ready

4, 5 & 6 - Palms and Cycads

7, 8 & 9 - Some nice hibiscus

10 - Bee busy pollinating a banana flower
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
Saturday 1st January

Started the day at midnight with champagne and fireworks.  Stayed up drinking far too late with some locals and spent most of the day in bed with one hell of a hangover.  I blame the home brewed sugar cane rum!   :-\
John

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
john fantastic firework shots and i love the black orchid what a thing that is, is it a coelogyne?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
Happy New Year, John, and thank you for letting us tag along on your wonderful holiday. :) :) :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
Eleven cruise liners!    My goodness, the New Year is really big business for Madeira.

Great shots, John. Enjoying them. Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal