We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2011- Dumfries 23rd to 25th September  (Read 15082 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2011- Dumfries 23rd to 25th September
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the pictures of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation - I've wanted to see that for a long time. How fantastic to have the designer to explain it. The gardener in me, however, wants to know how on earth they manage to mow the grass on the twiddly bits?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

SusanS

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
lawn mower on a rope?  ::)

Darren did suggest trained rabbits  ;) ;D
Darren's t'other half

SueG

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
I'd pay good money to watch the training of the rabbits!

Thanks for the pics
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Maggi gave us a very entertaining talk about the forum and its inhabitants, laced generously with images of cakes that have been made by forumists over the years.  If you are reading this and your ears were burning on Sunday, that is why.  It has long been the tradition of the SRGC host to present speakers with a gift of the alcoholic kind, but in the case of Maggi, this was awarded to our beloved moderator instead.  Well done Maggi, you covered this forum with your love and inspiration and I'm sure those amongst the crowd are now more curious than ever about what we get up to here, maybe they'll even log on to find out.  I sure hope so.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
I'd pay good money to watch the training of the rabbits!

Thanks for the pics
;D ;D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Darren

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
I note my beloved has changed her avatar back to the bumblebee now that the discussion weekend is over and she no longer feels she needs to be recognisable  ;) ;D

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

IRG ED Team

• International Rock Gardener
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
This plant featured in a couple of talks at the DWE....

314803-0

314805-1

It is the parasitic plant Phelypaea tournefortii:  photos by Philip MacDougal, and it's cousins are the subject of Cliff Booker's article in the new IRG #21, online tomorrow!
see more here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7893.0  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:19:23 PM by IRG ED Team »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Yesterday I heard from Glassford Sprunt, who, having recently undergone hip-replacement surgery, missed his first SRGC Discussion Weekend in over thirty years. He managed, nevertheless, to get the printing of the programmes, badges and so on done and sent to the Reivers for the event.

Glassford works for the Club in so many ways it is more than remarkable, it is quite wonderful.  He compiles the Index for the Journal, the Rock Garden and for the International Rock Gardener, for instance... and where would we all be without those? :-X

Back to Glassford's message to me, which I append below......

"Hello there Maggi!

I hear that all went well at the DWE.  I was delighted to receive a "Get Well" card from delegates.  I did not expect such a consideration.  I understand from Jean that some of the membership had noted my absence.  I was thinking of you all over the weekend.

It is now 4 weeks today since my operation and progress has been slow.  I feel that I am beginning to make progress at last.

I would like to record my thanks to all the signatories of the card. Perhaps you could find a space somewhere for this to be done, as writing to all is manifestly impossible.  

Best wishes,          

Glassford"

I do not doubt that many of you reading this would also  like to send your best wishes to Glassford for a continued recovery to full health.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
We loved sending you the card Glassford, hope you are fighting fit very soon.xxxxx Christine B.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
I've just seen the recent Discussion Weekend posts and want to say 'thank you' to Susan for posting all the photos of the Garden of Cosmic Speculation.  I found the Garden totally mind-blowing and awe-inspiring and felt so privileged to have been allowed to visit it with a small group rather than with the hordes on the only Open Day in the year.  I loved best the sweeping curves of the grass banks round the water garden from the little hill (can't remember what Susan called this area) and would love to be able to go back again and just wander and try to understand more of what had been in Charles Jencks' mind when he conceived the various parts of the Garden.

His gardener who showed us much of the garden was also amazing for he deserves much of the credit for bringing to life the ideas in a practical sense.  He had been a traditional gardener on the estate providing fruit, vegetables and flowers for the 'big house' and seems to have made the transition to a landscape art gardener with remarkable ease.  All the maintenance work ( massive amount of grass cutting and hedge trimming along with other more traditional work) is done by himself with the aid of 3 others.

Lastly, Charles Jencks (an architect by profession I think) is also the co-founder of the Maggies Centres that many of you will know about.  His first wife, Maggie, died of cancer in 1995 (I think) and they had discussed the idea of how cancer sufferers would benefit from having access to a beautiful environment.  What a fitting memorial he has created to her and what an achievement on his part.  A truly remarkable man.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Hello Glassford we missed you at the DWE and look froward to seeing you hale and healthy soon i will buy you a dram when possible just to kill any germs left after the op.  cheers Ian the Christie kind and Ann.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »
Just a lovely picture of a lovely couple.
Ger & Mariet.

This was my first SRGC discussion weekend, just thinking I have a long way to catch up to Glassford Sprunt. Over thirty years  :o no wonder he was missed. How many years has this been going on ?

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Roma

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
I only took one picture in Dumfries  -  specially for Maggi.  This Westie was guarding the door of the B&B where I was staying.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ChrisB

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »
Angie,  hope you'll be coming to more now you have a taste for them.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

angie

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
Chris see you next year. Yes there will be no stopping me now. Really enjoyed meeting you. At least with the forum we get to keep in contact everyday if we want. When I emailed Ger to place a order he replied by saying is this the Angie that is on the forum nearly everyday. There aren't many days that I miss the the forum. Where else can we make friends so easy and all over the world and speak to them anytime, night or day, great isn't it  :D ;)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal