We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33621 times)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »
here they are. Dream Dancer and Purple Heart

Anthony said in 2009
I have just received a corm of Crocus mathewii 'Dream Dancer' from Rareplants. Two shoots, and the corm was as big as an onion set: it would only just fit into the circle made by my thumb and fore finger!

Wow Mark!!!

Very very impressive size!!!
Taking into account my gigantomania, I think I should grow this crocus as well. Besides flowers, I also enjoy big bulbs. And I noticed many growers do it too. During summer I very often visit my store house, touch my big bulbs, look at them and enjoy.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
Hi, all! Thank you very much for your posts with wonderful and mouth-watering pictures, and practical advice from your experiences. Here is my potted Crocus mathewii, ex. HKEP. 9291, taken this morning. It’s a herald of crocus season at my place, but this year, more than 2 weeks later than usual. Cheers :)

Yamanaka-san,
a very fine potful of C. mathewii you have in flower. 8)
Do you have a crocus collection?
I'm excited to read your reply and to see more images from central Japan ;)
Best wishes
Armin

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
here they are. Dream Dancer and Purple Heart

Anthony said in 2009
I have just received a corm of Crocus mathewii 'Dream Dancer' from Rareplants. Two shoots, and the corm was as big as an onion set: it would only just fit into the circle made by my thumb and fore finger!

Wow Mark!!!

Very very impressive size!!!
Taking into account my gigantomania, I think I should grow this crocus as well. Besides flowers, I also enjoy big bulbs. And I noticed many growers do it too. During summer I very often visit my store house, touch my big bulbs, look at them and enjoy.
This is exactly what I feel about bulbs!
I love bulbs more than their flowers
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:25:04 PM by Arda Takan »
in Eskisehir / Turkey

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »
Zhirair and Arda I totally agree. My fave bulb is Crocus goulimyi
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
Herr Armin, danke ;D I really love crocuses and dwarf bulbs! Yes I’m just trying to increase my crocus collection and have got around 40 species, varieties and cultivars now. Several are flowering size and many of others are 1-3 year-old seedlings. The second flowering crocus in my collection is C. tournefortii, but seems taking more than a week to flower, and not in its best condition this season because of we had deadly heat summer in my place I think :(

Zhirair, Arda and Mark, all you're totally freaky croconuts!!! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:33:30 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »
Yamanada-san,
please call me with my first name, just Armin ;).

I'm sure all forumists love our plants and share the same passion - you are in good company. ;D
It seems you have got the crocus fever already :o ;D
Be ensured - it is a quickly spreading but harmless worldwide descease ;D

What were the causes/motivation of your passion? And when did you start to collect/breed your own favourites?
Do you grow your croci & bulbs in a glas house or in the open garden or both?
Sorry, if I'm a bit obstrutive. I'm curious, please tell us a bit more about you :D

I wouldn't worry about the conditions due to deadly heat in summer. Many crocus species prefer and require a summer drought to flower abundantly.
I'm excited to see your next images of C. tournefortii.
Best wishes
Armin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the problems of aphids on newly emerging crocus shoots. The pests gather under the top dressing and multiply. I have been away for a week and the weather has been very warm. Crocus pelistericus has pushed up its new shoot and as can be seen it is badly infested.

Also a picture of Crocus biflorus ssp melantherus a gift from Melvyn.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
Today I marched through the wilds with the hope of finding a new crocus or colchicum for my collection. Unfortunately all I could find was crocus pallasii pallasii which was already in my collection.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
Armin, Thank you for your warm welcome :) And please call me just Tatsuo or YT. Yamanaka is my family name and ‘-san’ means ‘Herr’ or ‘Frau/Frl’ ;)

What were the causes/motivation of your passion? And when did you start to collect/breed your own favourites?
Do you grow your croci & bulbs in a glas house or in the open garden or both?
Sorry, if I'm a bit obstrutive. I'm curious, please tell us a bit more about you :D

Well… these are good questions. I cannot explain the reason I cherish plants and can only say I just LOVE them. I started my plants life with a morning glory, one of the typical Japanese ornamental plants, when I was a child and soon interested in autumn planting bulbous plants especially dwarf bulbs. Morning glory is a summer annual and I can grow autumn planting bulbs during another seasons ;D

In autumn 2003, I got a flowering C. tournefortii bulb from a friend and was totally charmed with its wonderful contrast; prominent, dissected vivid orange-red pistil with pale mauve perianths, white anthers, and a small orange-yellow eye at bottom of the cup :o :o :o Before that I only saw saffrons, the big Dutch hybrids and few winter flowering chrysanthus-biflorus hybrids. Then, my crocus fever was started ;)

I grow all my crocuses in pots and outside by sunny south facing wall just under the eaves all through their growing period. My place has no snow and very few (weak) frosts and is one of the most sunny winter areas in Japan ;D

I wouldn't worry about the conditions due to deadly heat in summer. Many crocus species prefer and require a summer drought to flower abundantly.
I'm excited to see your next images of C. tournefortii.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I know C. tournefortii is a typical Mediterranean and likes dry and hot summer, so I don't worry usual summer. But we had humid and unbelievable heat summer days, max. nearly 40 - min. around 30ºC, continued more than 60 days this summer… :o :( In anyway, I'll have a look.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:41:12 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Tatsuo,welcome. From your blog you seem to enjoy a wide range of plants which makes life interesting. Your  Crocus mathewii are very nice. I have just been to see it in the wild.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
Here is C. pulchellus in the wild on Uludag, following a recent visit to W. Turkey. C. pulchellus is a woodland plant, so the meadow pictures are exceptions to the rule. The butterfly is supposed to be Polygonia c-album (strange name isn't it!). I've uploaded pics of 3 autumn visits to Turkey on my site now.

KJ
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:43:02 PM by Kees Jan »
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
YT what is that stunning yellow and brown flower on the first page of your log?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
The butterfly is supposed to be Polygonia c-album (strange name isn't it!).

Anthony will know why

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
Kees Jan,

I wish I could travel to Uludag, it is 2-3 hours to the city I live in but I am too lazy&busy for that
in Eskisehir / Turkey

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
  Kees very nice pulchelus pics. I would be interested to see more... from NW. TR. My most commom crocus is pulchellus and it can grow very easyly everywhere even in my pots without any invitation!. But I like the variations this crocus.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:05:19 PM by ibrahim »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal