We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 21650 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: November 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:33 AM »
I lost mine too I'm afraid Bill, also to frost or perhaps a combo of frost and too wet at the roots. Maybe some time if you have some spare seed.....?

Lesley

Misery particularly loves distinguished company.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 01:43:42 AM »
cool stuff, as always! the wachendorfia looks like an amazing plant for the landscape!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
I lost mine too I'm afraid Bill, also to frost or perhaps a combo of frost and too wet at the roots. Maybe some time if you have some spare seed.....?

Lesley

johnw
well that's certainly us John. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Lesley , Wachendorfia is a declared noxious weed here in Victoria -we had to remove it from the garden of the the Ferny Creek Horticultural Soc. I always thought it looked rather untidy .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
Lesley , Wachendorfia is a declared noxious weed here in Victoria -we had to remove it from the garden of the the Ferny Creek Horticultural Soc. I always thought it looked rather untidy .

Otto, does that mean that Wachendorfia thyrsiflora (seed) is a prohibitive genus/species on your AQIS biosecurity list for importing conditions/requirements?
I can appreciate that some genera of plants in certain countries have the potantial to become a pest or hazard, depending on climatic conditions, etc.
As a point of interest, where do I go to find out what is allowed and what is prohibited in Australia? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:22:46 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
Truly, one man's meat is another man's poison Otto. Have a look at the new thread on Phacelia. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
As a point of interest, where do I go to find out what is allowed and what is prohibited in Australia?

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp
New link : http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/icon-icd?wasRedirectedByModule=true

A search will show that Wachendorfia thyrsiflora is permitted nationally.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:05:38 PM by Maggi Young »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
Bill - I have never been able to get a Wachendorfia thyrsifolia through the first winter and that is in a frost-free greenhouse.  Can you offer some help?  I have tried winter-dry and winter-moist for seedlings but they all turn to slop by January.  They grow so rapidly they are in a one gallon & pot bound by autumn.  Still we get a couple of months to admire those bright red roots before they follow suit.  johnw

John, I can't offer any fool proof, concrete cultural advise on growing Wachendorfia tryrsifolia successfully, depending on so many other aspects like climate, soil, location, frost, poor drainage, wet feet, etc..
Have you ever tried growing/shifting the pot bound Wachendorfia outside in a sheltered, sunny, wel-drained, slightly raised spot/location, and covering with straw or any other material in the winter for protection from the frost wet and cold?
Don't forget, there is nothing more disastrous than prolonged cold and wet conditions at the roots during winter, a recipe for failure.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:13:19 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
As a point of interest, where do I go to find out what is allowed and what is prohibited in Australia?

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp  New link :
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/icon-icd?wasRedirectedByModule=true

A search will show that Wachendorfia thyrsiflora is permitted nationally.

Rob, thanks for the AQIS home page website, always handy for a quick search.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:42:40 PM by Maggi Young »
Climate zone 10

johnw

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »

Lesley

johnw
well that's certainly us John. :D

No that's you.

johnw

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
Albuca clanwilliamgloria .... isn't that the one that gets 2 metres and more tall?  :o Where do you keep it?
Maggie in my early ignorance of African bulbs i bought seed of this plant,they are in my 8x6 greenhouse but only 3 year olds at the moment so not that large,only knows what i will do when gets that big could be a laugh though so watch this space(an excuse for a bigger greenhouse),does anybody fancy a bulb when they go dormant lol.
Bill i didn't realise A.canadensis had a yellow form it is lovely as far as i know my young plants were from white seed.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

johnw

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
John, I can't offer any fool proof, concrete cultural advise on growing Wachendorfia tryrsifolia successfully, depending on so many other aspects like climate, soil, location, frost, poor drainage, wet feet, etc..
Have you ever tried growing/shifting the pot bound Wachendorfia outside in a sheltered, sunny, wel-drained, slightly raised spot/location, and covering with straw or any other material in the winter for protection from the frost wet and cold?
Don't forget, there is nothing more disastrous than prolonged cold and wet conditions at the roots during winter, a recipe for failure.

Bill - "prolonged cold, frost and wet conditions at the roots during winter" describes us perfectly.  Have never exposed the seedlings to our winter, they have always been in a greenhouse. Perhaps I will try again and run them very dry when dormant.  It  was intended as a tub plant, out in May, back in November.

johnw
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:22:55 PM by johnw »

Ezeiza

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Bill, and people. Something is misidentified here as thyrsiflora is the evergreen marsh species in the genus. It is a super plant with broad pleated erect foliage like a giant Tigridia pavonia or a palm. I remember seeing clumps of it at Western Hills Nursery near Sacramento where it is chilly in winter. It was planted with the roots at stream level and it was truly magnificent.

The other three species demand the drained mild conditions mentioned and all three are hot dry summer dormant.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
The very diverse genus Calochortus with their graceful stance , brilliant colors,  and intricate markings, the fairy lantern with their bell or globe shaped flowers are among the most dazzling bulbous plants in the garden.
The Calochortus luteus and Calochortus venustus are just two species flowering for us at the moment.
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
Well that settles one thing for me. My seedlings of C. luteus which look like C amabilis, and, I thought, must be closely related, must BE C. amabilis . That's OK. It is my favourite and I could never have too many. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal