We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2010/11 catalogues  (Read 24515 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: 2010/11 catalogues
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Galanthus Sophie North anyone?

Maren,I have a Sophie North,it is just above the ground, I will check in a few days if there is a spare bulb.

Cheers.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
A very slim flower, Alan.

Elegant!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
............. As you can see, it is a nice poculiform nivalis......

I can see that the inners are more or less white, but they seem distinctly shorter than the outers, and with a sinus.... so not truly poculiform?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
.... so not truly poculiform?

You're becoming a bit of a snowdrop perfectionist, Maggi.  The term poculiform tends to be used loosely for any snowdrop that is semi or wholly poculiform.  For example, Galanthus Angelique is frequently described as poculiform, despite being a good deal less so than this one.

Actually, referring to an authority here http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2010/03/poculiform-snowdrops.html , maybe I should have written "Poculiformis Group"?    
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:17:20 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
.... so not truly poculiform?

You're becoming a bit of a snowdrop perfectionist, Maggi.  The term poculiform tends to be used loosely for any snowdrop that is semi or wholly poculiform.  For example, Galanthus Angelique is frequently described as poculiform, despite being a good deal less so than this one.

Actually, referring to an authority here http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2010/03/poculiform-snowdrops.html , maybe I should have written "Poculiformis Group"?    

:D :D :D Well, since the 'drop fiends are so keen on tiny details it seems logical to press for some exactitude in these matters, eh?  ;D

Though when in the case of marking these seem to be entirely random from year to year and garden to garden then perhaps I am being too picky for the pocs!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
...Avon soon sold out of 'Green Brush'.

Gerard Oud has some examples of Green Brush for sale on eBay.  He is the source of this cultivar, I believe.
Almost in Scotland.

Sean Fox

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »

Gerard Oud has some examples of Green Brush for sale on eBay.  He is the source of this cultivar, I believe.

Yes I'm sure I read somewhere that he supplied 50 Green Brush to Avon bulbs last year. Avon where selling them for £15 before they sold out. Wonder how much they'll go for on e-bay?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »

Gerard Oud has some examples of Green Brush for sale on eBay.  He is the source of this cultivar, I believe.

Yes I'm sure I read somewhere that he supplied 50 Green Brush to Avon bulbs last year. Avon where selling them for £15 before they sold out.

Gerard told us that himself yesterday, on page six of this thread ....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6179.msg185047#msg185047     ;D

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
I have sold 50 Green Brush to Avon for this year and i we will meet at Oirlich. So they might be available after Oirlich!
Yes those on Ebay are mine!
I did have some before on Ebay, but i had not noticed UK is no part of Europe according to Ebay!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »

I did have some before on Ebay, but i had not noticed UK is no part of Europe according to Ebay!

What a very wise Ebay! :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Sean Fox

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »

Gerard Oud has some examples of Green Brush for sale on eBay.  He is the source of this cultivar, I believe.

Yes I'm sure I read somewhere that he supplied 50 Green Brush to Avon bulbs last year. Avon where selling them for £15 before they sold out.

Gerard told us that himself yesterday, on page six of this thread ....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6179.msg185047#msg185047     ;D

He He Maggie, see I told you I'd read it somewhere  ;D ;D ;D
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
So you did, Sean, so you did... there's often a clue, eh?

I see that there is Gerard and another continental selling 'Green Brush' on ebay.

It's very nice.... for a green snowdrop  ;D ;D

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2011, 01:05:41 AM »
I know that we have a Galanthus nivalis Charlotte over here found by Jan Huisman and named it after his granddaughter. Its a single nivalis which gives a lot of flowers from a the smallest bulbsize! In clumps it looks the best.

My "Charlotte" was found and named by Joe Sharman; I was there at the time of the discovery.  I checked the label and it definitely says "Charlotte".  I cannot find it in his list for 2009 or 2011 and I cannot find his list for 2010 so I cannot tell if he has ever sold it under that name.     

Alan, I noticed that MrOHowes was selling Charlotte some time last week on ebay.  However, it had no photo or description and sold for £23.  I wonder which Charlotte that was?  Very confusing and maybe Joe should slightly change the name ie. Elegant Charlotte, Charlotte's Choice etc etc.
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input to my question about planting companions for snowdrops.  I had a feeling Epimedium and Alchemilla would be a no no...but never knew Pulmonaria was a problem too.  I do have some very nice snowdrops planted with Pulmonaria in front...oh dear....one is P. Opal which does not seem to be doing much at all at the moment - I will keep an eye on it.

Last Sunday John (kentgardener) kindly showed me how to plant up the pond baskets so I will put a few bulbs in those and sink them where I am doubtful and that way they can soon be lifted out if need be.  You are right Brian - I do not need to bring more hard work on myself  :)

Glad to hear Ajuga and snowdrops are happy growing together as I have two patches under shrubs that look very bare and boring at this time of year.  Thanks Richard.

Got my order from Foxgrove Plants today.  I made the order just to buy Greenish.....and guess what.....Greenish was the only one I never got!!  I was happy with G lagodechianus though - what a sweet little snowdrop.  I like the species snowdrops and so far have 5 different ones.
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2011, 03:11:17 AM »
Got my order from Foxgrove Plants today.  I made the order just to buy Greenish.....and guess what.....Greenish was the only one I never got!!  I was happy with G lagodechianus though - what a sweet little snowdrop.  I like the species snowdrops and so far have 5 different ones.
Jennie

And just how does one get lagodechianus to flower? Mine multiply like mad but I have never seen a flower.  The book says to plant deeply but while done a year or more ago nothing yet.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal