We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 27370 times)

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Re: October 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
Weldenia candida is a very nice plant I have never seen  :D  I would be very delighted receiving some seeds  ::) 
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Nicole,

Unfortunately, Weldenia don't set seed as they tend to be a single clone that was introduced into cultivation some time ago.  That is why the discussion on whether the one with white tufts on the leaves is still around...... as if it were located it would mean that someone could possibly have 2 different clones and therefore there is a possibility of seed in cultivation.  I seem to recall rumours that there was seed at some point somewhere, but I don't know whether anything came of it.  :'( We need to try to get the two clones together so that there are some seedlings produced, so that the "single clone" effect is broken and then seed can be regularly produced.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:39 PM »
Bill, congratulations on both little Iris, they're such cute little plants.  I used to grow I. lacustris alba but eventually lost it due to persistent mole tunneling in a particular plant bed.  What sort of conditions are you giving Iris minutoaurea?  Mine is growing at the top of a raised mound, in part shade but getting approximately 1/2 day of sun, planted in native acidic clay soil amended with decomposed pine bark mulch.  The spot tends to be rather dry.  My clump has grown large and needs dividing, but I held off from doing it this year due to our extended drought.  I just love the little paddle-shaped petals.

Mark, I have my Iris minutoaurea plant growing in a reasonable size pot/container, with ordinary potting mix, perhaps not the most suitable condition or potting mix, they clump up very nicely, except no bl....flowers, (that should read blasted)  ;D ;D
I will try (anything) again with a medium with more decomposed pine bark and in a partly shaded area, perhaps our climate (warm and humid at times) might also have some influence on its performance.
What ever the reason, I will try it in the garden as well, and/or find a slightly cooler area in the nursery,
Thanks anyway for the cultural advice, it might just do the trick.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:29:13 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »
Lesley, I am pleased to report that my Weldenia from you stopped flowering about a fortnight ago having performed beautifully throughout the year. It has given me an enormous amount of pleasure this year.  Many thanks :-* :-* :-*

Brian, I'm pleased that you're pleased. ;D If nothing else, it's a great little traveller isn't it, right round the world with many stop-offs.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Fleurebleue, Paul is right, there seems no way to get seed of the Weldenia in cultivation at present. The late Jim Lecomte here in NZ produced seed at least once, way back in the 70s I think but he had the other clone.

If you remind me later in the year (actually, if you send your address right now) I could find a smallish one to send to you. We know it's a good traveller and seems to acclimatize to the change in hemispheres quickly. I don't think it's too late to send now. Mine aren't up and were recently repotted so can't have big root systems yet.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 11:54:32 PM »
Bill, again you are much earlier than I. I noticed the first new foliage on I. lacustris just yesterday. No buds visible yet. I may have lost my white and I've definitely lost minutoaurea I'm afraid, another victim of recent drought summers. Next northern seed season I plan to send a passionate begging letter to our friend the Onion Man and in the meantime, am saving for the postage to the USA of a bottle of really good wine. ;D

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
Bill, again you are much earlier than I. I noticed the first new foliage on I. lacustris just yesterday. No buds visible yet. I may have lost my white and I've definitely lost minutoaurea I'm afraid, another victim of recent drought summers. Next northern seed season I plan to send a passionate begging letter to our friend the Onion Man and in the meantime, am saving for the postage to the USA of a bottle of really good wine. ;D

Lesley, would you like me to send you a still dormant, small clump of Iris minutoaurea next week?
You don't have to send me an expensive bottle of really good wine, an ordinary bottle of whiskey will do. ;D ;D
Alternatively, I'll keep it as a rain check or exchange for a piece of that beautiful Scoliopus bigelovii sometimes.

Climate zone 10

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »

Lesley, would you like me to send you a still dormant, small clump of Iris minutoaurea next week?
You don't have to send me an expensive bottle of really good wine, an ordinary bottle of whiskey will do. ;D ;D
Alternatively, I'll keep it as a rain check or exchange for a piece of that beautiful Scoliopus bigelovii sometimes.

Oh, I though maybe the Onion Man would be getting a fine bottle of a NZ Pinot Noir.

Regarding Iris minutoaurea, I got mine from Darrell Probst some years ago, he reported it as being very floriferous.  The first 5 years it just grew bigger and bigger but never flowered once.  Then suddenly one year it decided to flower, with lots of flowers, and it's been flowering extremely well ever since over the past 4 years... so maybe this Iris is like a fine wine, it is not to be rushed, but needs to age and mellow, and when ready, it'll pop its cork.

In most years since it started flowering, the pods have aborted, only one year did a few pods out of 50-60 that were set, was viable seed formed. Typically I miss the seed when I'm working long hours and with a long commute, but was around this summer to check the pods daily.  No seed was set this year on I. minutoaurea in spite of a heavy flowering, and only 2 pods on I. henryi out of maybe 200 pods set viable seed... so seed on these is still an iffy proposition.  However, if I do get seed on these next year, and on the many Iris cristata forms (several did set seed abundantly) then I will be happy to share/swap.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 05:36:13 AM »

"Oh, I though maybe the Onion Man would be getting a fine bottle of a NZ Pinot Noir."

Well that's what I had in mind Mark. If Bill will make do with a mere Scoliopus, that will work out well. ;D

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »
"Oh, I though maybe the Onion Man would be getting a fine bottle of a NZ Pinot Noir."
Well that's what I had in mind Mark. If Bill will make do with a mere Scoliopus, that will work out well. ;D

Just hang on one cotton picken minute Lesley, don't presume, forget about the Scoliopus deal, that only applied to the Iris minutoaurea exchange  ;D ;D
When it comes to these beautiful Iris cristata forms, a different objective altogether, we should/could pull resources and share the seed, introduction and share the risk of getting these treaasures established into New Zealand.
I could even throw in another bottle of the gold medal winning Sauvignon Blanc from the well known Hawke's Bay wine region  ;) ;)
Anyway, whatever seed you might have to spare Mark, we would be very grateful. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:09:49 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
The Pacific Coast iris seedlings popping up everywhere, just a few more to enjoy.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
Just a few more of these wonderful, versatile PCI seedlings flowering at the moment.
Climate zone 10

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
Lovely show of PCI's Bill. I thought I had read somewhere that they thrive best in soil on the acid side have you found that?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Iris setosa var.nana is a  nice blue-violet iris with purple streaked falls and short standards flowering all summer over narrow leaves.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Lovely show of PCI's Bill. I thought I had read somewhere that they thrive best in soil on the acid side have you found that?

David, I always add a bit more peat or composted bark into the PCI mix to increase the PH a little, just enough to keep them happy. 
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal