We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2010  (Read 42698 times)

arillady

Re: Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Marcus I don't think I sent you one that is similar.
Have found a photo that on first glance the name is not moldy.
This is possibly too big for Fermi's anyway
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2010, 12:49:17 AM »
Hi Pat,

No you haven't and no its not the same. I have a feeling "mine" came from Otto (where else ;D). I kinda remember one occasion where we trouped around his garden, he with a trowl in hand, and came back to the house with an assortment of roots. In the flurry I most likely didn't get the name. I recall it was the same day as he gave me a lovely caramel coloured one, which I have firmly in my mind as "Capucchino". Fermi knows the correct name, something to do with coffee ... or maybe this indicates my fondness for the drink???!!

I have your McW-1-Super Yellow belting out of a pot with 6 flowers! Weather here not so kind to the arils this time around. Too cold and precocious, cold, warm, cold, warm, freezing, gale, zephyr .... you know the way it goes down here. Its a wonder the poor things put up with it, I barely can and this is my "country".

Cheers, Marcus

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »
This bright orange DBI is a lovely gift to Will from an AGS member whose garden we visited last year, I think she gave the name as "Slang"  ???
247922-0

A floriferous MBI "Aqua Taj"
247924-1

cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
Some MBI, the first being "Orb" which is apparently an Aril-Med.
248742-0

"Rebel Heart" (editted to correct name)
248744-1

"Strawberry Love"
248746-2

"Apricot Frosty"
248748-3

"Devil's Playground"
248750-4

248752-5

And another I thought was the same as the above! I'll have to trawl through the diaries and see when I got that lot of irises!
248754-6

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:39:47 PM by fermides »
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2010, 10:49:35 PM »
More TBI are starting,
"Six Pack" - this has to be an Aussie name! - which Paul T has shown in previous years.
250052-0

250054-1

The first flowering of one we got form a work colleague, which I think she said is called "Barbara, My Love"
250056-2

250058-3

Can you tell it's growing amongst liliums?
250060-4

"Silk Sari"
250062-5

250064-6

An old hybrid
250066-7

A "modern" plicata
250068-8

Possibly "Witches' Sabbath" which we have but I didn't think in this position! May've been moved during construction of the DSW.
250070-9
cheers
fermi

Victoria, Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
Fermi, your supply of stunning Iris' seems endless !!! :o :o :o
I love Barbara too !  ;D ;D

Thanks again for showing ! It brightens up our gloomy autumn out here !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
DSW ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
Fermi they are lovely  8)
Luc said what I was thinking...brightens up our day.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »
Thanks, Angie and Luc,

DSW ???

Dry Stone Wall.
We had one built for us this year; but the iris on the bank had to be dug up and re-planted,
250204-0

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2010, 06:20:19 AM »
Fermi,

Lovely pics!  Witches Sabbath definitely looks right.  Those fuzzy yellow beards are wonderful on the black background.  Nice!!  Others particularly of note are 'Cat's Eye', 'Rebel Heart', Tarheel Elf' (love the contrast) and 'Fairy Footsteps'.  I saw the first two at an iris nursery open day recently (but they didn't have any to sell of either!  ::)) and the FF I bought from our local Hort Show last year was obviously mislabeled as it ended up being yellow.  :o  I had FF years ago which was why I was trying for it again.... the delicate tracery of pale blue plicata is gorgeous.  I must prepare some pics of the dwarf iris I DID buy at the nursery when I was there.  ;D  Some very nice plants.

Lots of Iris in flower here at present too, plus a miriad other things.  Thanks for showing us some of your wonderful collection. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
Paul,
just let me know which ones you want when it's the best time to send them (end of summer)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »
Fermi,

Actually, the best time to divide iris is right after flowering.  That is why the iris catalogues come out then.  They produce the best roots then, establishing them best for summer and then preparing for flowering.  When I was better organised (i.e younger and had more time) I always divided my iris in November/December and had brilliant results.  I find that later you divide them, the less flowers you get next year from the remaining clump.  I should also be able to send you an offset of 'Acid Print', which you asked me for last year or the year before when I posted a pic.  It hasn't done brilliantly, but whereas it was down to a single fan a couple of years ago, I think it is now up to 4, so I'm happy to send you one.  I have a feeling you might also like 'Webmaster' that I bought recently.  Still sorting pics from the last couple of weeks.  I have literally taken more than 500 pics at various places in the last 9 days.  That will winnow down to half of that or less, then hopefully will post some.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
Hello Fermi,

your 'An old hybrid' resembles cv. 'Don Juan' introduced by Ferdinand Cayeux 1928. 
I have the same unknown hybrid in my garden and found a name accidentally today in the www.
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
Here's some Dwarf irises that I bought pots of at a recent open day at a nearby Iris nursery...

They're 'Frisk Me', 'Marksman', 'More Drama', 'Pele' and 'Webmaster'.  All bar 'More Drama' were pots in flower, but the last one in flower had already been sold of that variety.  A whole bunch of nice healthy fans in the pot though, so I don't mind too much.  ;D

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
Here's just a few of the tall bearded irises in flower here at present....

Davis Seedling is a locally bred white.  Excellent multiplication, and very, very floriferous with LOTS of buds on the flower stem.  The guy who bred it refuses to name it though, so we just call it the Davis Seedling.  ::)

Also 'Blue View', 'Goldfinger' (a spage age iris, with gold horns), 'Living Free', and 'Thornbird' (another space ager... interesting colour combination, which I'm sure Lesley will detest.  ;D)

Enjoy (well mostly, anyway) ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal