We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: CLEVELAND AGS SHOW - Saturday 3rd April 2010 at Stockton-on-Tees  (Read 10322 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: CLEVELAND AGS SHOW - Saturday 3rd April 2010 at Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
The plant is still in my greenhouse as I've not been down to Morpeth to take it back to Barry yet.  I will report these comments to him.  His label said it was N xsussanae collected in Southern Spain by K Knoch and B Wetzel and sown in 1997.  Must get it back to him, I'm afraid its starting to go over....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: CLEVELAND AGS SHOW - Saturday 3rd April 2010 at Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2010, 06:25:35 AM »
I'm not at all sure about the 'NARCISSUS x SUSSANEA'. It looks like a nice pot of straight N. triandrus subsp. triandrus. N x susannae would be the name we used to use for a hybrid between triandrus and cantabricus, which is sterile, so could not have been the parent. No doubt Rafa could tell us the minefield that is the group of new names for triandrus types crossed with hoop petticoat types.

This was discussed at length at the show and the consensus was that this pot was straight N triandrus.  The pot was from wild collected seed, so presumably collected from either or both parents and there would be no way of telling the seed was hybrid or not until grown on. 

I just happened to photograph the real thing yesterday, it's my absolute favourite narcissus
Narcissus x susannae
Interestingly enough we've had a pic of a sibling posted here a year or two ago as I got seed from the Seedex as well - and as someone pointed out the cross is infertile and the only viable seed would've been the parent (in this case N. triandrus).
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal