We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.  (Read 56740 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »
Wim, you grow such really   8)  plants - Primula chionantha ssp. sinopurpurea is just  :P
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
Good show Wim !
Lori, nice to see you finally have Spring around !!  ;)

Here's some from my garden flowering now :

1) Allium karataviense 'Ivory Queen' - pushing through
2) and 3) Arnebia pulchra with the distinctive brown spots that disappear after the flowers have been open for a few days
4) and 5) Anemone nemorosa robinsoniana
6) Corydalis flexuosa - seedling from red leaved form
7) Degenia velibitica - has quietly seeded itself into a small colony
8. Dianthus 'Eleonor Parker' - newly acquired hybrid from D. freynii x D. strictus - looking very promising !!  :D
9) Phylliopsis 'Sugar Plum
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »
So many wondeful flowers just great to share them with you all thanks. A few more pictures taken yesterday trillium corner is inside what is left of my tunnel a corner, cheers Ian the Christie kind.

Your leaves are as wonderful as your flowers Ian and they look so lush with all that rain - and a little protection  :)

johanneshoeller

« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
A very interesting very tiny plant from South Africa (?) flowering since April 1st.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
Great show from your garden too Luc  :)  Aren't the leaves Allium karataviense 'Ivory Queen' gorgeous, so beautifully curved and furrowed.    The sugar-almond pink of the Dianthus 'Eleonor Parker' is so sweet - I'm amazed it's out so early  ::)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
Wim, you grow such really   8)  plants - Primula chionantha ssp. sinopurpurea is just  :P

Thanks Robin,

it's flowering for the first time here. It was sown last year.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
A very interesting very tiny plant from South Africa (?) flowering since April 1st.

It's a very nice plant indeed, I had it outside in the garden since three years and it got a bit bigger every year until this spring when it was attacked during flowering by a blackbird. Now it's completely gone. I hope it will resprout next spring.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
Ian  - I 've just been comparing the foliage on the single pink Sanguinaria (photo 751 posted in reply #253) here and yours. They look different; the one here has quite blue foliage.  I wonder how many "pink" selections there are.

By the way, a lovely Trillidium there.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:31:45 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
Great show from your garden too Luc  :)  Aren't the leaves Allium karataviense 'Ivory Queen' gorgeous, so beautifully curved and furrowed.    The sugar-almond pink of the Dianthus 'Eleonor Parker' is so sweet - I'm amazed it's out so early  ::)

Thanks Robin, I'm also very fond of the Allium leaves - and they're barely starting...  ;D
The Dianthus is very early, but is still in it's pot and spent a lot of time inside - I'll have to wait next season before I know what it's normal flowering time is  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
Callianthemum farreri

Saxifraga unnamed cultivar

Callianthemum alatavicum

Pulsatilla vernalis

Snow  :(

Snow.  :( :(

Snow and cold.  :( :( :(

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
Mark,

I love that kind of dandelions too. I also have T. albidum. Not yet flowering but it won't take long. I didn't grow the A. akaka from seed so i wouldn't know how long it takes from seeding to flowering.

My single plant of Taraxacum albidum died out last year... for 7-8 years it reliably produced just 1 or 2 pure white flowers, but it did not have any inclination to spread or increase.  I too fantasized about the white one invading the lawn, so at least I'd have two colors of dendelion, but it was not to be. I do have a pot full of T. pamiricum coming along, described as 10-15 cm white.  The other one I used to grow, keep an eye out for this one, is T. carneocoloratum from Alaska, a tiny high alpine species with semi-nodding flowers of an odd pinkish-orange color; an adorable little item.

i will be watching for seed of various sp; are the leaves very different on any of them?

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »
 Wow what a fantastic picture of the Calianthemum flower buds.  Theping sanguinaria here has beetroot coloured leaves when it first comes up will try and get another picture tomorrow, I guess several forms are around. Well done everyone again for all the super pictures, a few more taken today, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
Oh Olga ... are you trying to make a grown man cry?   :D  That Callianthemum alatavicum is just out of this world!   May we enquire where you got it?  C. farreri is glorious enough, but C. alatavicum is a DREAM.  Beautiful photos as always.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
Mark,

I love that kind of dandelions too. I also have T. albidum. Not yet flowering but it won't take long. I didn't grow the A. akaka from seed so i wouldn't know how long it takes from seeding to flowering.

My single plant of Taraxacum albidum died out last year... for 7-8 years it reliably produced just 1 or 2 pure white flowers, but it did not have any inclination to spread or increase.  I too fantasized about the white one invading the lawn, so at least I'd have two colors of dendelion, but it was not to be. I do have a pot full of T. pamiricum coming along, described as 10-15 cm white.  The other one I used to grow, keep an eye out for this one, is T. carneocoloratum from Alaska, a tiny high alpine species with semi-nodding flowers of an odd pinkish-orange color; an adorable little item.

i will be watching for seed of various sp; are the leaves very different on any of them?

Cohan,

the leaves of T. pseudoroseum and T. albidum are exactly the same as T. officinalis. I don't know about the other species.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
Hi all,

some pictures from my woodland garden:

Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal