We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria I/D  (Read 5024 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Fritillaria I/D
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
Thanks Gerry and Ian.  The colour of the leaves are just like Galanthus elwesii leaves.  In the photo below I have added a Fritillaria meleagris for size comparison.
That's helpful Gunilla. I now think Ian is right - F. tubiformis.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
I was going to suggest thessala as I've never seen tesselation on pontica but when the BD has spoken......one tends to keep one's own mouth closed. Roll Eyes

Oh Lesley the BD is as good as getting it wrong as any one.

Gerry and Lesley, I would agree that thessala is a possibility as well, I have seen some pontica seedlings where it is difficult to decide where 'tinged with reddish brown' stops and 'tesselation' begins. The necteries well tell for sure.

Gunilla From the scale picture I am still sure that youir plant is F. tubiformis.
check out these pictures from bulb log 16

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2010Apr211271856028BULB_LOG__16.pdf

and there are more in bulb log 17.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2010Apr211271856028BULB_LOG__16.pdf
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
Mark
It looks like Fritillaria pontica, check and see if it has dark round nectaries that will confirm it.
This plant seems to be lightly tessellated so my guess would be F. thessala. If so, the nectaries will be ovate to ovate-lanceolate.
        It looks like my thessala , a very vigorous species in the garden , Otto.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:28:47 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems that I probably have F. thessala, glad to have a name on it (even if tentative), after all these years.  I include two cut-away views of the flower to show the nectaries.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Gerry Webster

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems that I probably have F. thessala, glad to have a name on it (even if tentative), after all these years.  I include two cut-away views of the flower to show the nectaries.
The ovate nectaries seem consistent with F. thessala. I think in F. pontica they are usually more definitely circular. Nice photos!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems that I probably have F. thessala, glad to have a name on it (even if tentative), after all these years.  I include two cut-away views of the flower to show the nectaries.
The ovate nectaries seem consistent with F. thessala. I think in F. pontica they are usually more definitely circular. Nice photos!

Thanks Gerry, glad there wasn't too much dirt under my fingernails in those shots ;D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »
Could anyone help with the I/D for this fritillaria.  Approx 6 - 8 inches tall.  The stem leaves are opposite & narrow if this helps.

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
Mike - my first thought, based on flower colour, was F. drenovskii but I have never seen one with such flared flowers before - they are usually fairly narrow. My second thought, based on the flared flower coupled with the yellow tips to the tepals,  was F. rhodokanakis but my (limited) experience of this is of a much darker flower colour. The flower colour is also reminiscent of some forms of F. messanensis subsp. gracilis but the flaring seems inconsistent with this.The infinitely variable F. pinardii might be a possibility but the narrow leaves suggest not. So, I remain puzzled & there are no doubt possibilities I haven't thought of.  I'd be interested to see the opinions of others. It would be useful to have some idea of scale - how large is the flower (it looks quite small) - & what does it look like inside?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:12:34 PM by Gerry Webster »

Tony Garthwaite

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Hi! In answer to your query, the flower was about 2 cm long. the height (in pot) was about 11 inches with two pairs of alternate narrow, (4mm) leaves and three just below the flower.
Mike put the query up on my behalf and I'll put 2 more images up at the weekend if they will help.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »
Tony - a good image of the inside of the flower would be helpful. Was the flower flared from the start  or did it develop as it aged? Do you know where the plant came from? The whorl of 3 leaves below the flower together with the colour suggests F. messanensis subsp. gracilis, though the flower is on the small side for this sp. I wonder whether the flower is malformed? Is this the first flowering?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:03:39 PM by Gerry Webster »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal