We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife February 2010  (Read 15626 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Wildlife February 2010
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
On dogs and their deaths: my dog, Sid, jumped out onto the road last Saturday week, nipped a passing jogger on the bottom and I took him(dog, not jogger) to the vet that evening. He is buried under a Magnolia 'Susan'. Horrible to put down a healthy animal but there was no choice; the next incident, and inevitable there would be one, could be far worse. He was a labrador/sheepdog cross, fiercely defensive of the house and garden and a perfect softie to the family and my ever-present companion in the garden. I don't think we will get a replacement dog.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
Aw, Paddy, what a terrible thing for you to have to do. I am very sorry for your loss.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
He died for a good cause - trying to rid the world of joggers.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
He died for a good cause - trying to rid the world of joggers.

Paddy
Very true......a dog of some discrimination, obviously.

Funny things, joggers:  round here there only seem to be two kinds.... those who are as overweight as I am and liable to peg out any moment from the stress of lugging their bulk at speed and those who are surely suffering some sort of opposite eating disorder..... so very little and skinny as to be frightening to look at, lest their spindly legs crack at the next stride...... there are no inbetween sizes.... only the extremes....makes me very suspicious, frankly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:03:57 PM by Maggi Young »

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
So sorry Paddy - that is such a hard thing to have to do.  Our dog was always wonderful with people except that he growled at vets - going to the vet was always stressful as I was terrified of him deciding to bite.  Newfoundlands are such big dogs they could do an awful lot of damage!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
Yes, Gail, but mostly only if they SIT on you!  ;)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Paddy,
your grief and pains must be deep for the loss of your dog. Obviously there was an incalculable risk of hurting other persons - you have made a very responsible decision. You have my great respect for your tough but right decision.
Best wishes
Armin

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:22 PM »
Paddy, I'm so, so sorry for your unexpected loss and how brave you were in coming to your decision.  The photo of Sid you posted recently in your garden was such a wonderful portrait of a faithful companion always close at hand, a dog so full of character..... but underneath every family pet there are wild instincts that can be triggered to protect their territory and every owner must accept responsibility for their pet's behaviour, however provoked or out of character.

How lucky Sid was to have had such a loving Master and happy life.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
Gail, Newfoundlands are amazing dogs - we watched two grow up from puppies next door and become stars at swimming with their webbed paws. There are big Newfoundland dog get-togethers/shows here in Valais - competition for the St Bernard, I think  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

angie

« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »
Paddy,  sorry you had to part with your dog ,its sad to have to make that decision :'(  Years ago we had a lab and the same time everyday this lady jogger passed our house which was out in the country so the dog picked up on any noise. I looked up and heard the lady pass by and then I heard a lorry slam on its brakeson and the first thing I thought the dog was under the lorry but no he was hanging of the ladies joggers in the middle of the road. I remember thinking what would be better the dog under the lorry or the lady been bitten, she was screaming so loud. I took her into my house scared to look at her leg but luckily enough it was just grazed. I took the lady home and told her husband what had happened,  luckily enough they were dog lovers and her husband said stupid woman the noise she makes when she runs would frighten any animal.
Never saw the lady again and poor Duke passed away peacefully with old age. Onto my third dog now but hes too old to chase a jogger.
Angie
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
Very sorry to hear it Paddy.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
On the subject of joggers, There seem to be two types.  The fit ones who overtake my car and disappear into the distance - obviously athletes - and the others I cannot understand.  Mainly women of a certain age, dressed up in designer track suits - pardon me- shell suits always in pairs and doing a knock-kneed shuffle.  I could walk faster !  One hand has a mobile phone and the other with a water container - no doubt with an isotonic drink in it.  They would get more exercise walking up a steep hill.  I don't understand the need for the water container.  They are not going to die of thirst in their 30 minutes waddle.  Athletes running fast in a 10,000 metres race do not need refreshment so why do they?  It's probably the posy weekend supplements or "life style" magazines that advocate this.  I feel a rant coming on so I will quit to spare you my thoughts on "life style gurus"
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
I think the action rather drastic. Dogs can be trained using an electric dog training collar. A neighbour just needed to use it once, admittedly to stop it chasing sheep, and the dog actively avoids sheep. The dog was fitted with the collar and then taken on a walk. It immediately went for the nearest sheep. A remote control gave the dog a shock, which, being an intelligent animal, it immediately associated with the behaviour.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
A month or so ago a friend mentioned that he had spent some time unsuccessfully trying to open a drawer in a cupboard in his garden shed, today after a more determined effort he got it open and found a 'nest' behind it with the larvae still active. It is about 30cm long and 15cm wide Can anyone identify the insect concerned?

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
On the subject of joggers, There seem to be two types.  The fit ones who overtake my car and disappear into the distance - obviously athletes - and the others I cannot understand.  Mainly women of a certain age, dressed up in designer track suits - pardon me- shell suits always in pairs and doing a knock-kneed shuffle.  I could walk faster !  One hand has a mobile phone and the other with a water container - no doubt with an isotonic drink in it.  They would get more exercise walking up a steep hill.  I don't understand the need for the water container.  They are not going to die of thirst in their 30 minutes waddle.  Athletes running fast in a 10,000 metres race do not need refreshment so why do they?  It's probably the posy weekend supplements or "life style" magazines that advocate this.  I feel a rant coming on so I will quit to spare you my thoughts on "life style gurus"

A third sort has just lumbered past in the fading light. The ancient, knackered man/woman (impossible to tell) in high visibility jacket in need of new hips and knees who look like an escapee from the local rest home. At least they were heading in the direction of the hospital.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal