We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica  (Read 111385 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Hepatica
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »
John,

I too would welcome some information on how you grow and where you grow if you have the time please.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »

All of the hepaticas shown are grown in plastic pots and under glass but with only the very minimum frost protection.I use the formula reccomended by Ashwood,that is equal parts JI2,leafmould and perlite.I do grow several hepaticas outside including pyrenaica and transylvanica and most of it's cultivars.They are completely hardy and I have patches of transylvanica and triloba that have been there for more than 30yrs.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2007, 06:43:24 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do that John-it gives hope to us "lesser beings" to give 'em a go. Can I take it that your garden is particularly shady?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »
Not reaally,I have some shady areas but the long established transylvanicas and trilobas are in a fairly open situation and when they were planted 30+ yrs.ago they were in a fully exposed position with no shade whatsoever.I find that they are very versatile and will grow in sun or shade so go on have a go.   

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
A couple more
    japonica from seed.jpg
    Daishihou.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:13:11 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
great plants, info etc

I'll ask a question that got debate in the last forum

remove the leaves or leave them on?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2007, 09:19:10 PM »
Not reaally,I have some shady areas but the long established transylvanicas and trilobas are in a fairly open situation and when they were planted 30+ yrs.ago they were in a fully exposed position with no shade whatsoever.I find that they are very versatile and will grow in sun or shade so go on have a go.   

I am sorely tempted John.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2007, 09:31:13 PM »
In answer to your question Mark,I think the answer has to be remove.Firstly ,by the time that the new flower buds start to form, the leaves of most plants are dead or nearly dead anyway and add nothing to the appearance of the plant.
I did have a few plants which had retained their leaves in a very healthy condition up until 3 weeks ago and it was my intention to keep the leaves on but I found that the leaves were impeding the emergence of the flowers whereupon I removed the central leaves.However I decided to remove the remainder as I was unhappy with the overall look of the plant.In addition those plants that do retain a healthy crop of leaves also produce another crop of healthy leaves and would make the task of removing the old leaves very irksome indeed.
That is my opinion for what it is worth.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2007, 09:53:46 PM »
Given the quality of John Gennard's plants, I'm going to go along with his "remove" advice in future.
John, would you say that early January would be a good time to remove the leaves?  They may have given a degree of protection until then and any new growth will hardly have begun, I would think. Or would you do this earlier?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »
Maggi,in my answer I was referring to my plants in pots and therfore under glass so the protection is'nt required.I think under protection that you could remove the leaves from Nov.onwards.I remove progressively as the leaves show signs of age.

As far as my plants in the open ground are concerned I would remove transylvanica in Jan.and nobilis/pyrenaica a little later.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »
Thank you for this clarification, John. Ours are all either in the open garden or in uncovered plunges, we just take one in to the glasshouse on occasion to adore at close quarters!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

dan

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2007, 11:55:52 PM »
if anyone has anything really special to swap i might trade in my jajpanese hepaticas! (gasp!) i'm particularly interested in forms of transsilvanica and european nobilis
Dan Hale
York

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »
John wonderful flowers, time for showing some plants from me:
Hep.jap.'Picotee'
Hep.jap.'Tsumabeni'
Hep.jap.'Yuki Warabe'
Hep.jap.'Hana Kage' not fully open yet
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
Chris, beautiful plants and fantastic pictures. Thank you
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
thanks David, the pictures are from my new camera and now the colors are verry good I find
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal