We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand field trips Jan 2010.  (Read 14943 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: New Zealand field trips Jan 2010.
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi Maggi,

There are not enough days in the year to look at all the mountains and all the plants- you only get vignettes. ( the two Eyre mountains excursions involved too much walking to do much photography)

"scrithalis" refers to the scree habitat of this particular Ranunculus.

Myosotis macrantha is widespread but is not particularly common. Having said that someone told me about seeing the plant growing like daisies on a lawn behind Larrikin  Creek hut on the Thousand Acre plateau. When I was there last year I found only one plant. The flowers come in a wide range of shades  generally in combinations of red/brown/gold. My guess is that it is scented. Dave might know as he is good a picking up scented flowers on account of the way he photographs them - he drew my attention to a tiny scented Leptinella on one occasion
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
"Only vignettes"they may be from your wide land of plenty, David, but , my goddness, what a rare delight they provide for those of us far away.  8)

In my scratching around I was able to find the original description of the ranunculus, from 1987 :
Ranunculus scrithalis Described by Garnock-Jones (1987, N.Z. Journal of Botany 25:126).
I was also able to find that agreat number of these journals are freely accessible from this website:
 http://www.royalsociety.org.nz/Site/publish/Journals/nzjb/default.aspx

Nice resource to make note of, folks!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
"

Nice resource to make note of, folks!!

Many hours of searching and study there, Maggi.   

I may be away for some time ....!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal