We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Exchange within USA?  (Read 6217 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Exchange within USA?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
John,
 the banking stuff has been moved.... there are some comments left from Canadian members, who felt moved to recount their experiences in paying for plant orders or phyto certs in getting stuff from the USA.  I am sorry if you felt that was too much for you to tolerate.... we do tend to have a relaxed attitude to threads here.

I would have thought that Canada was a near enough neighbour that you might be interested in their experiences..... of course, if you want to take a purely USA stance on a matter, that is your choice. 

It is a simple fact there are are not too many USA members in the Forum and so far, none have come forward to comment on your subject.... at least the other comments are keeping the thread "bumped up" the current listings.... which might help to tempt out some American comments..... ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John Curran

• Looking to purchase or trade Pleione, Bletilla.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
Canada is still across an International Border; it might as well be Romania as far as importing plant material.

Your 'rolling eyes' emoticon says it all... I'm logging off, and won't be back.
I am in New Jersey, USA, near the Atlantic Coast, Zone 6/7

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »
I'm cut to the quick......my 'rolling eyes' were an attempt to galvanise another American to respond to you. It seems I am wasting my time, sorry to be such a disappointment to you.  

This Forum is open to all, as you discovered, but it is run by the SRGC and we are happy to have the SRGC Membership lead the direction of threads, within reason. I  regret that in your  seemingly single-minded pursuit of plant material that this does not appeal to you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:43:07 PM by Maggi Young »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
 I am a member of the  Pacific Bulb  Society which is almost an all American society as far as bulb exchange is concerned,maybe he should have a look at that. http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/HomePage
It is almost irrelevant as far as Europeans are concerned if you get my drift :(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:57:09 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
Oh dear. Is John the only Forum poster we have lost? At least, I think, he is the only one who is patently disatisfied with how the threads sometimes develop. We all know we get sidetracked and maybe we should be more careful and selective but the fact is, we are all friends and friends DO get sidetracked in their conversations. In the doing so, we all learn and discover much that is new/amazing/funny to us. The Forum is not so high on Google's ratings list and so often said to be the best plant Forum in the world, for no reason.

If you're still out there John, be patient with us and you will soon find it's worth persevering with a search for information on any plant-related subject.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »
Canada is still across an International Border; it might as well be Romania as far as importing plant material.

Well, not quite.  Plants move back and forth across our border still growing in
their pots - not like the scrupulous root-washing required for ones coming in
from overseas.  (though there is not free movement East to West in either the U.S.
or Canada because the East has Japanese beetle, and the West does not.)
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »

Well, not quite.  Plants move back and forth across our border still growing in
their pots - not like the scrupulous root-washing required for ones coming in
from overseas.  (though there is not free movement East to West in either the U.S.
or Canada because the East has Japanese beetle, and the West does not.)

A good point, Diane.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
I'll come in late to this thread simply to say we have all had our own threads very quickly change topic only to come back in again
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
Think I will move to the USA and start selling Pleione, as there seem to be some very frustrated people that are lacking suppliers there ;)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
Even WE can't please all of the people all of the time, but we do try though.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
If we all left every time we felt hurt or slighted there would soon be nobody left.Surely part of its charm is from time to time being inoffensively offensive (and receiving a reprimand from Maggi). I have made so many new friends since joining the forum it has been one of the best things I have done. There is not much chance to develop locally when you live in a bulb growing wilderness.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:03:33 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

PlantsnobIN

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 02:57:05 AM »
As a resident of the United States, I would like to say that we don't all act like this guy.  No wonder the world thinks we are uncivilized.  But then, he is from New Jersey, and that explains a lot....

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 03:18:32 AM »
As a resident of the United States, I would like to say that we don't all act like this guy.  No wonder the world thinks we are uncivilized.  But then, he is from New Jersey, and that explains a lot....

not to worry, i'm sure we all realise that there are all sorts of folks from all sorts of places;
i understand john c's frustration trying to find something-whether its a particular plant or information, but the simple fact is that there isnt always someone reading along who has what you want, in a form or place that's of use to you... so in some cases, you simply will not get the response you hoped for..
that said, the members of this forum in general, will give generously of their time and experience in answering questions where they can, and of their seeds and surplus where possible!
digression in conversation is a sign of human interest in the people we are speaking to, and does not take away from our discussion of plants, it simply pads the interaction with added value;
many fora that are singlemindedly devoted to particular topics with little or no chit chat between simply have lots of empty spaces between the meaty bits of plant talk, empty spaces here are filled with friendship, and how much likelier are you to send plants and seeds to a friend than an anonymous requester?...

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
Have the USA been made aware that the British Empire no longer exists and Canada is an independent entity outside of the UK? It is hard to believe a conversation between 3 people in Canada could be taken to mean that the site is more of a UK site!
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
the British Empire no longer exists and Canada is an independent entity outside of the UK?

What??  When did that all happen ;D ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal