We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers  (Read 13687 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:25 PM »
Down in Kent we have just had a thoroughly inspirational and informative talk from David Rankin on growing plants from seed, which illustrated the great value of close observation and an enquiring mind. For me, who has also had the experience of growing plants on a nursery scale from seed, it rang many bells and was really refreshing. Our most grateful thanks to David and Stella for taking the trouble to come down to us in the far south-east.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Martinr

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
I have crampons....I'll wear them any time I intend to step on a Cliff ;D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »
Today I went to a day of bird lectures at the British Trust for Ornithology. The best by far was by Tim Birkhead from Sheffield University. He looked at ornithology from the 1500s right up to what we know now. He was also very funny.

I think most of the lecture content can be found in his book The Wisdom of Birds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisdom-Birds-Illustrated-History-Ornithology/dp/074759256X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321126150&sr=1-2#_
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
Went to the Devon/Exter AGS Group meeting last night. Excellent talk from Tim Lever on his 2008 treck to Bhutan looking for Meconopsis sherriffii, and a chance to buy some Aberconwy Nursery plants too.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
At the recent SRGC AGM the talk given by Julia Corden was on the treks to that area in 2008 and 2010... both of which Tim was on..... we saw quite a fgew photos of the lad, as it happens. Both Julia and Tim have been assisted on these expeditons byt various grants , from the likes of SRGC and others and it is terrific that there are lots of us  benefitting from their experiences via these talks.  8) 8)

Meconopsis sherriffii is one of the most beautiful flowers imaginable -  sadly all we have here now are memories via photos... like the one on the cover of an SRGC Journal from a few years back.... I'll post when I get a minute to find it....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:43:59 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
I was not able to make the AGM, but I am looking forward to hearing Julia when she gives the same talk to the West of Scotland Group next March.  Sounds quite a place to go from everything which I hear.

I also think it is great the SRGC can financially support those interested in such trips.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:04:15 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
Here's a copy of the cover picture... from  The Rock Garden #104 from  June 1999... it's not the best colour representation, I'm afraid, being taken from the pdf of the scanned journal but not too bad!
Alas this lovely plant is no longer with us  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
I hear Paddy is coming to N Ireland to give a lecture

and Janis Ruksans is coming.

angie

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
At the recent SRGC AGM the talk given by Julia Corden was on the treks to that area in 2008 and 2010... both of which Tim was on..... we saw quite a fgew photos of the lad, as it happens. Both Julia and Tim have been assisted on these expeditons byt various grants , from the likes of SRGC and others and it is terrific that there are lots of us  benefitting from their experiences via these talks.  8) 8)

Yes Maggi it was really a good talk. Julia is a very brave woman. I felt sick just looking at those roads, maybe roads is to good a name for them. She showed us some wonderful plants and scenery to die for. Its great to see these places and plants from someone that is full of enthusiasm.Just wish I had the courage to go to these places.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
Hi Thanks for your very nice comments on my lecture last Sat. I will post a pic of Mec sherriffii on the forum once I get back from Edinburgh.
I'm down staying with Elspeth from the Botanic's as tomorrow I am giving a lecture to the Meconopisis Group on the Explorers Garden.
Also Tim will be giving a talk on Bhutan plus Margaret Thorne will be giving a talk on Meconopsis. So it should be over load on Mec's!!  :) :)
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Just home from hearing John Massey give a talk on his garden through the seasons - fabulous!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
Just home from the Janis Ruksans lecture. Brilliant lecture including many of his new Crocus hybrids - well jeal! I want to be him when I grow up.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
I don't know how far Graham Gough travels but we have just had a really stimulating talk from him to our Kent HPS Group. The subject: looking at plants in the wild on his travels in Turkey, Armenia, the Pyrenees and the south-west Med. As befits such a fine nurseryman Graham had a particular eye for plants that could be good introductions to the garden, as well as some more oddities like the parasitic Phelypaea. Also good fun was an insight into some of his travelling companions! Along with this of course a few interesting plants to buy!!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

jomowi

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
I was at the Stirling group's monthly meeting last night.  I can thoroughly recommend the speaker and topic: Brian Allen on 'Italy North to South'.  It was informative, amusing, with excellent pics. most of which were taken by Sid Clarke (retired professional photographer at RBGE)  Brian and Sid regularly go on holiday together.  The two of them co-authored 'Wild Orchids of Scotland' some years ago.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal