We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers  (Read 13644 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Two that I can can recommend:

Graham Nicholls gave a very good talk to the South Devon AGS Group a couple of weeks ago on "Tips and Tricks of Growing Alpines" , and last night at the Exeter Group Meeting Rob Potterton was on brilliant form with "A Labour of Love-40 Years at Potterton's Nursery.

I admit to investing heavily on plants from both! Either of them would be just the blokes to put pen to paper and come up with a new version of Lawrence D Hills' "Propagation of Alpines"*** but bet both would say they didn't have the time!

*** Published 1950 Faber and Faber Ltd. Second revised edition published 1959.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »

Many thanks to Diane Clement for an inspirational lecture to the East Lancashire Group of the AGS last evening. Diane travelled up from Pershore despite an ever present threat of snow and gave us a beautifully structured talk entitled; 'Alpines in the wild and cultivation'. Thoroughly recommended and, as always, much appreciated by our assembled members.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
Went up to North Lancs Group of AGS last Thursday to hear a smashing talk by Darren Sleep on Cape Bulbs.  Absolutely excellent just the right mix of superb pictures, wry comments and cultural hints.  Well done Darren.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Darren

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2013, 07:46:26 AM »
Went up to North Lancs Group of AGS last Thursday to hear a smashing talk by Darren Sleep on Cape Bulbs.  Absolutely excellent just the right mix of superb pictures, wry comments and cultural hints.  Well done Darren.

Thank you Shelagh!  :)

I very much enjoyed doing that talk too. It was great to see you and Brian there.

Halfway through the talk a young woman wandered in and sat down and even had a cup of tea afterwards. Those who tried to talk to her have reported that she seemed extremely under the influence of something (and I don't mean alcohol, or the tea). I saw her again in Lancaster yesterday, wandering up and down the aisles in Wilkinsons. Clearly I'm attracting audiences from all walks of society, and we could do with some new members..........

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:40 AM »
Another addiction for her perhaps?
Cliff Booker

Darren

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Another addiction for her perhaps?

She was at least better behaved than one of her (male) peers who came in begging for money at a meeting last year. We really must start locking the door once the meeting starts.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
Typical Lancastrian behaviour I would have thought? :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Darren

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
Typical Lancastrian behaviour I would have thought? :P ;D
Not quite but becoming more typical every day sadly.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
She was at least better behaved than one of her (male) peers who came in begging for money at a meeting last year. We really must start locking the door once the meeting starts.

But I only got seven pence!!!

[ quote author= David Nicholson Typical Lancastrian behaviour I would have thought? ]

Initiative, David ... Initiative!!! 
Cliff Booker

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
I do believe that we should do all we can to encourage young (what am I saying!) speakers as they make their first faltering steps on the speaking circuit. It was so at our local group meeting last night when a timid youth (what am I saying again!!) from Lancashire, accompanied by a lady who insisted she was his wife but I'm absolutely certain was his daughter, entertained us with a presentation which went down rather well. :P   ;D

Many thanks Cliff and Sue for trecking down here to the end of the world, it really was a cracking presentation and the images were as stunning as the gardens in the old US of A.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »
I do believe that we should do all we can to encourage young (what am I saying!) speakers as they make their first faltering steps on the speaking circuit. It was so at our local group meeting last night when a timid youth (what am I saying again!!) from Lancashire, accompanied by a lady who insisted she was his wife but I'm absolutely certain was his daughter, entertained us with a presentation which went down rather well. :P   ;D

Many thanks Cliff and Sue for trecking down here to the end of the world, it really was a cracking presentation and the images were as stunning as the gardens in the old US of A.

... And many thanks to you and your excellent group David ... not only for the wonderful hospitality, but also for the fine words above  ... and my daughter sends her thanks as well.  ;D
Cliff Booker

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
Hard hitting, telling it as it is, clear and to the point! Climate Change and its effect on alpine plants. If you have the courage to listen to proof of what is happening to our climate and its likely ongoing effect on our addiction then I recommend you group asks Mike Kendall from Nairn to bring you the talk he gave to the Moray Group last night. Mike is a marine biologist working on the effect of climate change in the oceans but he is also an observant mountaineer and plant lover. Combining these two interests he gave us his interpretation of how things have changed and what may happen over the next fifty years or so. I don't think that I heard anything new but it was presented in such a clear and concise manner that it far surpassed any presentation I have heard before. Probably not a talk for groups that come to meetings for some pretty pictures and a cup of tea, though.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
The new Australian prime minister has closed the Climate Change Commission and believes that it's all bunk. The fact that Australia is a major producer/exporter of coal has nothing to do with it apparently ::)
As Bill Cosby said in his "Noah" sketch when asked what should you do if you can't get on the Ark "How long can you tread water?"
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
Has anyone heard Carl Wright from the Burren?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
Yup, entertaining speaker.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal