We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fabulous fungi  (Read 20407 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Re: Fabulous fungi
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 08:50:29 PM »
The second one are edible. Это осенние опята. But it is not good to have this kind of mushrooms in the garden. They kill trees. And not only trees! I saw them on peony and Polystichum setiferum which dead next year.

Это осенние опята (I did Russian at school  ;)) is I think Honey Fungus, Armillaria mellea, which Hans just posted a picture of...

When I first moved here I felled a lot of Birch trees and left the stumps which quickly became infested with Это осенние опята. I had learnt that this species was edible and was very pleased with this unexpected crop of tasty mushrooms. I wish now that I had known of the aggressive nature of this fungus (at least certain strains of it) as is invaded gradually over the next years my fruit orchard and killed after about 10 years all my old apple and plum trees (as Olga says). The last few years, I've had a big job systematically digging over the ground and removing all tree roots before replanting...

I don't eat it any more - and people are here warned against it as some people are very allergic to it. However, it is still one of the commonest wild fungi sold on markets in Italy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:53:25 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »
here are some more pics ( from last year )

complete collection
Birkenpilz ( Leccinum scabrum )
Steinpilz ( Boletus edulis )
Marone ( Xerocomus badius )
Totentrompete ( Craterellus cornicopuoides )
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Mark mentioned the little flies that infest mushrooms and other fungi. I have found that these, if shaken from the mushroom onto the late summer/autumn leaves of Pinguicula species, before those leaves die away, make for a very strong and prolific flowering of the Pinguiculas in spring.

We have the red and white spotted Amanita muscaria, under our pines and eucalypts in the autumn. It also grows around the bushy parts of the city of Dunedin and most years a few cases of poisoning are treated in the local hospital, when uni students have sampled it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2009, 05:34:58 AM »
Hi Thomas!
Yes my interest has progressed.

Hans
Good harvest! The last one is unknown to me. I'v never saw and eaten such kind if fungi.

Stephen
What a sad story about your garden! I have a little осенние опята :) in my garden on old logs of old home. Do you think I have to throw them away or burn down? Or is it enough to saturate them with fungicide?  ???
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »
Olga ,

these 'Trompets de Mort' are also rare here - you find it always in a short time -late in fall before comes the frost .
They a fine fungi for spice -not for eating it pure .We dry it and add it for sauces -special good for wild animals like Chevreul ,Sanglier......
In this year we had not found any - and the season is soon over -the wether forecast says frost for the next days  :-\

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Of course Armillariella mellea, the bootlace fungus is famous for another reason - phosphorescent hyphae...   :o
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Olga ,

these 'Trompets de Mort' are also rare here - you find it always in a short time -late in fall before comes the frost .
They a fine fungi for spice -not for eating it pure .We dry it and add it for sauces -special good for wild animals like Chevreul ,Sanglier......
In this year we had not found any - and the season is soon over -the wether forecast says frost for the next days  :-\

I don't think I will be eating these "Death Trumpets" soon and I won't be accepting a dinner invitation from Hans either ;)  I've never seen them here (they are local, mostly in the south of Norway). We call them  Svart trompetsopp (Craterellus cornucopioides).
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »

Stephen
What a sad story about your garden! I have a little осенние опята :) in my garden on old logs of old home. Do you think I have to throw them away or burn down? Or is it enough to saturate them with fungicide?  ???

I would advise you to burn them. Here in Norway (probably also EU), there is no fungicide which can be used against Honey Fungus (at least for private gardeners). The only solution is to remove the tree roots which are affected.   
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
here is a other fungi from this time -they start now

thats are Trompetenpfifferlinge ( Cantherellus tubaeformis )
they are more common ....but the taste is not so exquisit like C. cibariucus

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2009, 02:06:31 AM »
We have Armillaria native in our local area here too.  The hill that the Botanic Gardens are on here in Canberr has it native to it, and it pops up in areas of the Gardens regularly.  Large areas are now devoid of trees and nothing can be done about it unfortunately as impossible to remove all the dead tree roots.  They just have to try to minimise it's spread, in some cases by "Armillaria barriers" which entailed digging a 2 metre trench and filling it with concrete.  This stops the roots from nearby trees penetrating past that point, so the fungus can't spread into the rockery area with all it's rare plants.  ::)  Nasty stuff, and when the mushrooms appear in autumn we would try to hunt them down and remove them to minimise spore production.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
I would advise you to burn them. Here in Norway (probably also EU), there is no fungicide which can be used against Honey Fungus (at least for private gardeners). The only solution is to remove the tree roots which are affected.   

Thank you Stephen!
The problem is many small and big peaces of old wood are buried into soil. It’s impossible to remove all of them.
I think about system fungicide. 

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »
Today was foggy morning

All this fungi are  growing at my plum tree. It means the tree is old and diseased.

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »
I'm lucky that I don't have more than 20-30 cm of soil anywhere in my garden over rock. Therefore, it is possible to remove roots, although it's still a big job (=several years). The only solution seems then to be a barrier such as described by Paul. I have read that there are no effective chemicals against Armillaria...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
You have a great eye. Next time you photograph fungi can you put your finger in so we can see how small some of your fungi is.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »
Olga this thread has only just come up on my radar - absolutely wonderful photos of most unusual subjects

Thank you
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal