We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 39830 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: October 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 03:13:32 AM »
Scilla natalensis from South Africa is highly desirable for large gardens. It forms large clumps, and when located amongst rocks where the huge papery bulbs can be seen it is very effective. In late spring or early summer the flower spikes emerge and quickly grow to 1 meter or more. They are covered with hundreds of soft blue stars, which appear continually for several weeks, The flowers are followed by by 40 cm. long grey-green leaves, which often have a purple sheen. The flowers are useful for large floral displays. The bulbs should be planted with their lower third below soil level in autumn or winter. They multiply extremely slowly, in some cases one bulb increasing to only eight over a period of 20 years. Seed is therefore the quickest method of increase, it must be fresh when sown as old seed does not germinate. It should be sown on the surface of a sandy mix, and germination will commence in 2-3 days. Small bulbs will form before winter, at which time they will become dormant, coming into growth again the following spring.
Between four to seven years are required for bulbs of flowering size to develop.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:51:35 AM by Maggi Young »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »
This Tropaeolum azureum seedling amazingly is flowering 4-5 months after sowing.
Hard to believe, has anyone ever flowered that quickly?
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 03:38:37 AM »
Very, very nice, Bill.

Lesley,

You've made me realise that I don't think my purdyi has returned this year.  I'll have to go searching.  I've had it for more than 15 years, VERY slowly multiplying.  Got it from that nursery that used to stock unusual stuff many years ago (like the Clematis tangutica I mentioned elsewhere).  I hope it is still there but just not flowering.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 04:06:31 AM »
A few more things flowering outdoors in the Rock Garden,
Leucocoryne hybrids(?)

Very nice Calochortus amabilis Fermi, that socalled Leucocoryne hybrid wouldn't be Leuc.purpurea would it?
Climate zone 10

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:44 AM »
A few more things flowering outdoors in the Rock Garden,
Leucocoryne hybrids(?)

Very nice Calochortus amabilis Fermi, that socalled Leucocoryne hybrid wouldn't be Leuc.purpurea would it?
Hi Bill,
it may well be L. purpurea - I got it from a friend who got them as "mixed hybrids" but it looks a lot like Sheila Burrow's pic on the PBS site (which also looks like the pic that Lee Poulsen posted as "received as mixed hybrids"!).
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
Folks,

Moraea vegeta.

Saw this at Jenny Mair's over the weekend.

Apparently can get a bit weedy but I like it.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
Folks,

Lesley mentioned my Babiana ringens last month but this is the first time I've had a chance to get back online since. A first flowering for me and I'm very impressed, this one will be a 'keeper' in my collection to rival B. rubrocyanea which is just coming in to flower now.

Andrew.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
Folks,

The photos aren't anywhere near as nice as Bills but here are a couple of my Velthemia flowering at the moment.

Sadly some of the individual flowers (and the entire flower-heads on other plants) were damaged by a late frost.

Andrew.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:24:57 AM by ajbroome »

arillady

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
Lesley - better late than never - I do grow Gladiolus nana and I can see the similarity. I prefer the colour of the straight species rather than the kind of harsh pink of the Charm or Charming one.
Fermi are you getting in early with the Calochortus as I noticed mine has about 7+ buds as well as two out so your's must be going to flower more. Great value bulb.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »
This Tropaeolum azureum seedling amazingly is flowering 4-5 months after sowing.
Hard to believe, has anyone ever flowered that quickly?

Yes, Bill, once the seeds do germinate they usually flower in their first growing season. Best to keep it growing on as long as possible and try not to let it die back too quickly or the tuber will not have made any great size and may then hit a DEEP dormancy.  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »
Folks,
Moraea vegeta.

Andrew.

I know you Folks in the Southern Hemisphere, especially Australia and New Zealand can get a bit down-hearted at some of the plants that we have and you cannot get.... but if I had a garden where there was even a remote chance of any Moraea getting "weedy", I'd be pretty pleased!!

( yes, I realise most of my Rhodos wouldn't be so happy then!!  :P)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
Andrew, you have some lovely stuff, thanks for posting them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:25 PM »
I will show a picture of  Cyrtanthus obliguus which I photographed last season. (see if you can find the little spider on top of the plant) Enjoy.

A marvellous Cyrtanthus obliquus photo Bill.  Is one apt to get a few of the same colour pattern from any obliquus seed?  I see some solid coloured ones on the internet that aren't quite as nice.  It must be the resemblance to Rhododendron cinnabarinum that draws me to this beautiful Genus.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
Folks,
Moraea vegeta.

Andrew.

I know you Folks in the Southern Hemisphere, especially Australia and New Zealand can get a bit down-hearted at some of the plants that we have and you cannot get.... but if I had a garden where there was even a remote chance of any Moraea getting "weedy", I'd be pretty pleased!!

( yes, I realise most of my Rhodos wouldn't be so happy then!!  :P)

so true! and so many lovely natives! of course we all want what is hard to get...

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »
Parva Plants had the Babiana listed recently but I see online that it is sold out. They didn't send me a list this time so I missed it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal