We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC West of Scotland Discussion Weekend 5th - 7th October 2007  (Read 22630 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: SRGC West of Scotland Discussion Weekend 5th - 7th October 2007
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
KEY FOUND

I have found a small DELL padlock key where vehicles were loading plants behind the show hall, exactly where Sandy and Ann were parked.
A piece of tape on the back is inscribed AxSYSSEBEC.
If anyone recognises this please contact me.
David
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 09:55:30 PM »
Here are a few things I took photos of at the Weekend.

1. Ascocenda at Glasgow Botanic Gardens Hot House

2. Picture of some delegates looking at plantings in Kibble Palace, Glasgow Botanic Garden

3. Paphiopedium spicerianum at GBG Hot House

4. Sue G. with her well deserved East Lothian Cup for best plant, Sect 2

5. The winning plant with cup

6. Cyclamen cyprium that I liked very much
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »
Thanks to everyone for organising such great speakers and tasty food ;D
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
We're just home, spent an extra night.
It was a really super weekend, we had a great time. Many congratulations to Sue on her success with that pretty Cyclamen mirabile, perfect plant, winning the trophy and a certificate of merit!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
Yes, Maggi.  As a complete newbie, it was an experiment, but one I shall repeat, (bank manager permitting).  I had to wait until the last minute to decide due to personal circumstances, but it was the right decision to go.  Everyone was so friendly, to this complete stranger and I had a super time.  Food was good, spent too much money on plants and other bits which is always a good sign, hotel was terrific, couldn't fault it really.  And as for the weather, well..... couldn't have been more perfect - not a drop of rain to be found, and we even got a bit of a sun tan on Friday afternoon sitting outside eating lunch.  Well done everyone!  Anyone reading this that didn't go, you must make plans to do so next year, its fabulous!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
So glad you had a good time too, Christine... you gave every impression of enjoying yourself, I must say!
Certainly more expensive than spending the weekend at home, working in the garden etc but SO MUCH MORE TO ENJOY and all those people to meet!  Even the BD considers it money well spent! It is the highlight of my year, ranking with the Early Bulb day as a TOP Pleasure!
Thought the food was really good, SO important to us, (not just ME) to be well fed!
Can't decide which talk I liked best, they were all terrific. Quite different, too, so lots to think about.
Sue was in good form at breakfast and we have just arrived home, complete with Knud Lund, who is flying home from Aberdeen, so was able to come with us and have enough time for a look around the garden and a cup of tea before Ian took him to the airport. He's just going home to repack his case, off to London in the morning, but he wanted to get his plants back to Norway today!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »
Jean Wyllie would have won the Forrest Medal, but it was the same plant which won in Ponteland so could not win another this season. Jean also won most points in the open section, with a fine collection of plants. Harvey Shepherd brought a good car load for the show, as he kindly does each year, as did lively Forumists ( well, Brian is out there, lurking, even if Shelagh is the one who actually joins in with us!) Shelagh and Brian Smethurst. I discovered the secret to the discussions at Ponteland about " Estonian Magazines"... it appears that a freind of the Smethurst's  writes for an Estonian Gardening magazine and had visited them and visited the AGS Chesterfield Show. Hence copy od super Estonian magazine with SEVEN page spread on the Black Pudding Girl, the ever dapper Brian, their garden, [plants and the AGS Show... quite delightful! Unhappily my grasp of Estonian did not extend ery far beyond Shelagh, Brain, AGS, Chesterfield and a copouple of latin plant names, though one got the gist that it was all very complimentary. We have some pohtos of the mag to follow in due course. Lots to do here  after time away, so please be patient.
Shelagh was off to the dentist firstthing this morning with a nasty toothache, so I hope that it is much better now, Shelagh! :-*

Carol Shaw

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 06:32:03 PM »
What a fantastic weekend :) Like Ian & Maggi we stayed over last night and only came home this afternoon and have been busy sorting out the goodies we bought.

It was great to put faces to forum members names and to hear the chief croconut's talk! Though, like Maggi, I would find it hard to say which talk I enjoyed most. All were interesting and, hopefully, I have learned a little more...

All I cansay to those folk who could have been there and weren't is... you'll never know what you missed! BUT you can get a flavour of it all by coming next year :)

Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
Just a quick picture of the 15 active forumists who were at the weekend.
Who can you spot?
31435-0
Maggi will name them all later but now she is tidying the house a bit before Peter Korn arrives - he is speaking to the Aberdeen Group tonight.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »
17 Ian, I am hidden by Bob Brown and Carol by Mark ;D
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Bob Brown, from Patchogue, New York, is a regular at Discussion Weekend, though not, as far as I am aware , a registered forumist! Bob, if you are a lurker and reading this, you'd better join in, sharpish!

We missed you there behind Bob, Susan, many apologies, just shows , though, what a slim little thing you are!
So, the line up of posting forumists..... ( there were  other registered forumists at the weekend but the BD got despotic and said only POSTING forumists could come for the photo  ::)

left to right:
Brian Wilson, Darren Sleep, Sandy Leven behind Sue Gill, Peter Maguire (wearing a lovely blue shirt and a fine beard) the ubiquitous Bob Brown who is hiding Susan Band ( look carefully, you will spot her blond hair), peeking through is  smiley Christine Boulby, tall blond guy behind is Peter Korn, chubby woman in front, dressed as a bed of Iris is Maggi Young, behind, in glasses, is David Shaw, then the Bulb Despot Ian Young, then, looking very shy, is Geir Moen, Carol Shaw is peeping out from behind Mark Smyth, fixing us all with a huge smile is the Chief Croconut Tony Goode, and the lovely lady in red is none other than our own Black Pudding Girl, Shelagh Smethurst.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
I thought everyone seemed to have a huge smile during the weekend ... not to mention the outright guffaws during Panayoti's lectures :D  Mind you, his charismatic style and dynamic delivery did not hide some serious points as well as lots of information.

Thanks are due to all the organisers - it was a great weekend.  Good to meet up with some 'virtual' friends, renew some old acquaintances and make some new friends too.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »
Here's another shot of the Forumists... Susan can be seen better in this one!
31463-0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
Just noticed Christine's nice red shoes, even brighter than Ian's!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:02:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
31469-0

President Ian, of the Christie kind, and the First Lady, Ann, were both looking very well and are seen here at their table for the dinner on Saturday. Pity there is no photo of Ann's suit in all its glory, bright red and VERY smart indeed.  Her husband scrubs up very well, too!
31471-1

Congratulations to the First Couple, who are celebrating their wedding anniversary today
31473-2
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:54:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal