We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Ripeness Question  (Read 5328 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Seed Ripeness Question
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »
also very interesting on the names--the little reading i did suggested labradorica was a form of adunca, but that probably means the real species, although they showed pictures of the purple foliage plant which you say is rivianna, and that is what i have....

Cohan,
The taxonomic position of Viola labradorica seems to be doubtful - an American friend told me that it also could be near to Viola conspersa (also to adunca - as you already wrote). I must admit that I'm not up to date.

Gerd

thanks gerd--really it doesn't matter to me yet, since the plant i have is apparently not the real labradorica, anyway..lol

göte--your garden must be a delightful place :) i'f like to have bulbs in my grass too, but i have a feeling most of my yard is too shady for that..native woodland species are successful, though

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
I have never understood why the "floor" of a garden must look like green paint on concrete.

The American economist Thorsten Veblen explained that about a century ago. Look for his "Theory of the Leisure Class".

Crumbs, Rodger.... you must be older than you look?  ;D ;)

sorry! couldn't resist !   :-*

I'm just well-read, perhaps overly well-read. To demonstrate that fact, I will mention that my latest purchases include Spinoza's Tractatus Theologico-politicus and the works of Thomas Paine. Thorsten Veblen is a mere bijou from my mis-spent youth.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:28:25 AM »
I have never understood why the "floor" of a garden must look like green paint on concrete.

The American economist Thorsten Veblen explained that about a century ago. Look for his "Theory of the Leisure Class".

In football, you'd make a great center forward Maggi (and make loads of money...), you hardly ever miss a chance. ;D :-X ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
Rodger, I do not believe it possible to be TOO well-read---- especially if one is an author  ;) ;D

Luc, you are too kind.... if you only knew how often I hold back...... ::) :P :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
I'm just well-read, perhaps overly well-read. To demonstrate that fact, I will mention that my latest purchases include Spinoza's Tractatus Theologico-politicus and the works of Thomas Paine. Thorsten Veblen is a mere bijou from my mis-spent youth.
I wish I had the time to read Spinoza - but I would probably prefer to stick to Shonagon. 
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »
By the way I physically refute Veblen.
I am a dolichocephal and was fairly blond as a kid and I joke about green concrete  ;D
His theories are utter rubbish.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »
Don't think I'll dare speak to Rodger direct again, probably to Gote either. I'll do it through you Maggi, or through God. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
Don't think I'll dare speak to Rodger direct again, probably to Gote either. I'll do it through you Maggi, or through God. ::)

Not to worry, Lesley, none of these old writers knew a ripe seed from a theory, so we needn't fret.  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
By the way I physically refute Veblen. ...His theories are utter rubbish.

I've always had a fondness for his explanation of the Anglo-Saxon taste for green sward in gardens. He asserts that it's because the ancestors of northern Europeans were sheep herders, so a green field dotted with sheep was a thing of special beauty. Indeed, when you stop and think about it, any large lawn would look better for having a few sheep on it.

Just how this inherent taste is stamped on successive generations, esp. once the people left the land for the cities, Veblen does not explain.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »

Fear not, Lesley. It's true that 40 years ago I amused my friends (and startled my enemies) by proposing to become a sybil living in a cave in and writing oracular utterances on dried oak¹ leaves, but the monetary side of that career choice didn't look too promising. And besides, have you ever looked closely at the Sibyls in the Sistine Chapel frescoes by Michelangelo? Cripey, it would take some serious surgical rearrangement of the olde bodie to get the right look!

I have a funny idea Maggi is preparing a new thread "Sibylline utterances" and will be moving our sillier postings to it. But after all, it's August, the silly season in the northern hemisphere.

¹. specifically the leaves of Quercus garryana, a native of the Pacific NW.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 04:49:33 AM »

Indeed, when you stop and think about it, any large lawn would look better for having a few sheep on it.

Not when they've come in from a neighbour's place, tramped up the drive and through the rock garden to get there. >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »
Indeed, when you stop and think about it, any large lawn would look better for having a few sheep on it.
Not when they've come in from a neighbour's place, tramped up the drive and through the rock garden to get there. >:(

no sheep arriving here, but the neighbour's cattle do.. it seems no one can really afford to make fences adequate to keep youngsters in if they decide to get out, luckily most adults are too lazy to bother..fortunately no damage so far...

gote

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 10:14:44 AM »
By the way I physically refute Veblen. ...His theories are utter rubbish.
I've always had a fondness for his explanation of the Anglo-Saxon taste for green sward in gardens. He asserts that it's because the ancestors of northern Europeans were sheep herders, so a green field dotted with sheep was a thing of special beauty. Indeed, when you stop and think about it, any large lawn would look better for having a few sheep on it.
Just how this inherent taste is stamped on successive generations, esp. once the people left the land for the cities, Veblen does not explain.
i looked a little on Veblen on the net and found ideas that I find not very attractive. In principle he seems to think that we are collecting plants because the super rich do that and we want to emulate them. Maybe I found the wrong quotations.
Göte.   
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
I suggest that you devote some googling to the word shonagon. You might be pleasantly suroprised
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »
What a silly man. ??? The super rich in NZ don't collect plants, they collect Porsches, Maseratis, super yachts etc.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal