We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring in Southern Hemisphere... with crocus! (July- September)  (Read 23203 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Spring in Southern Hemisphere... with crocus! (July- September)
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20:52 AM »
Superb Olsynium douglasii Lesley.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Stephen Vella

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »
Yes, nice Olsynium Lesley. I've never seen one before. How long do the flowers last for?

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2009, 06:42:01 AM »
Stephen the individuals last 2 or 3 days probably, depends on the weather. They don't like wind very much. You know it used to be Sisyrinchium douglasii (album).

Paul, abut 2.5cms across, or about 1" in old money. I used to get up to nine flowers on my first one, also from seed which took 10 years to flower. So quite happy with 3 flowers on a first stem after 4 years. There are 6 more to flower but not this year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
Lesley,

The Olsynium douglasii....  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  Wow!  Amazing looking flowers.

I agree with Paul on this one Lesley !
What an amazing clump !  Simple and very beautiful !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:53:43 AM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2009, 09:13:57 PM »
lots of great stuff, everyone!
really love that Ornithogalum sintenisii!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
Lesley,

That was a Sysirinchium? ???  Never would have thought that.  Has so many wonderful "snowdrop" qualities about it.  Do you know if it is here in Aus?  I think that will have to be a "must have" plant if I can get it.  ;D

Thanks for the Frit info.  it really is a beauty.  That's one I haven't even tried from seed myself, but have admired in books regularly.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »
I don't know if the Olsynium is in Australia Paul. Otto will know I'm sure. The seed from Ratko earlier this year has germinated really well but I think will be very slow growing to flowering size. Two years ago I had a single pod on the white and the two which came up are still, in their second year, not much bigger than single hairs. I don't know if the white will come true. If there's seed this year I can send it along. The rosy purple form is even lovlier.

Incidentally, I got 14 lots of seed from Ron Ratko and almost everything has germinated very well indeded. A couple of things still to come. The quality of his seed is excellent and I highly recommend it. Lewisia rediviva like hairs on a dog's back. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »
I love these crocuses with strong and sometimes contrasting colours. C. minimus Bavella Form varies, apparently in the width of edging to the outer petals but otherwise, the solid colour is very clean and a nice variation from the "ordinary" minimus. Then I have a seedling with almost total colour cover. It appeared among my minimus before I had the Bavella Form so is not connected to that at all. (It hasn't flowered this spring and I have a nasty, sneaking suspicion that I may have given it away accidentally. :'()

160786-0

160788-1

160790-2

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
I said earlier that my 'Chocolate Soldier' wasn't going to flower but though late, it has put up a bud with another to come. Three pics to show the wonderful contrast between deep mahogany and bright orange.
Warm thanks to Marcus Harvey for this little gem, Crocus olivieri ssp balansae 'Chocolate Soldier.'

160792-0

160794-1

160796-2

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
A couple of pallid irises, first I. magnifica alba. My junos haven't done much this year and it hasn't helped that Teddy has dug a large hole and half buried a decent patch of I. x Sindpers. The weeds in many pots are indicative of my gardening activities recently, or rather, the lack of them.
160798-0

and I. reticulata 'Natascha.'
160800-1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:21:16 AM by Lesley Cox »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
Lesley,

I already commented on the Crocus pics down in that section, but have to comment on the Irises here..... beautiful!!  8)  I have 'Natascha' flowering for the first time for me this year (Thanks Otto!!  ;D).... certainly looks happy for you, that is for sure.  Given it is supposed to be a bit touchy for a lot of people, yours are obviously thriving!!

Excellent pics, all of them. :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »
Lesley,
Your pictures made me already longing for my autumn crocuses and other bulb to show there colours.Got a nice collection from Latvia,and from a friend in Belgium,keep You posting on time ;) for the moment  Colch X Jarovslavna is making progress,last Year it was flowering to no end,looks if it increased nicely already.
I know what You mean  by indicative Gardening  :-\
I must agree with Ron Ratco,Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Guy   :)
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
A couple of things in flower at the moment here....

Asarum maxima, with it's really cool flowers.  8)
This Daphne genkwa sort of took me by surprise when I found it in flower..... then found my second one in the back yard in flower too, when I hadn't even realised they were in bud.  ::)
Hamemalis 'Ruby Glow'
And lastly for now... one of the first to open properly (plenty have opened since this pic was taken a couple of days ago).... Magnolia 'Star Wars'.

Enjoy.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
A few photos from todays Hellebore sale in the hall of the Ferny Creek Horticulteral Soc.,
 many hundreds of good plants there , most of them were snapped up in the first hour .
 so many people milling around the sales tables - one had to be quick to grab your chosen ones .I had it all to myself as Peter Leigh was setting up his display.
  It was good to meet another Forumist this morning : Ray who introduced himself during the sale . He had brought along 2 pots of Fritillarias ,which I was able to identify for him .
  Paul , sorry you had to cancel your trip to Olinda , you would have enjoyed the company .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
I know I would have, Otto. <sigh> :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal