We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2009 - southern hemisphere  (Read 19390 times)

arilnut

Re: Oncos 2009 - southern hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
Hi Pat. I would say both of the first 2 pictures are Sari as it is a variable species.  The third is most likely an Arilbred,
I'll go thru the illustrated checklist sometime and try to ID it.

John
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
I also agree with Hans and Arilnut : I. sari for sure !

and very nice plants Pat  :)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

arillady

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
I find it amazing that two plants - via plant or seed from two sources both made the same mistakes somehow. Both saying they were paradoxa and both being actually sari - both different forms too.
thanks all for pointing me in the right direction Hans, John and Fred.
What should I do with the pollen - they are drying in film canisters without lids at the moment. There is another bud coming on the McMurtrie clump (from seed)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arilnut

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
What should I do with the pollen - they are drying in film canisters without lids at the moment. There is another bud coming on the McMurtrie clump (from seed)

Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Pat do you have any Regelia species? If so use it on them.  Maybe you can come up with some new worthwhile
RC's to introduce.

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:41:15 PM by Maggi Young »
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arillady

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »
 An old print of Iris acutiloba ssp schelkownikowii which reminded me of
 my seed grown plant  ex Alan McMurtrie seed collected in USSR shown recently
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
Pat,

it really is a dead ringer.  What bothers me is that it doesn't resemble the nominate form of I. acutiloba. Köhleim lists I. schelkownikowii as a seperate species, which makes visual sense.  The only distinct characters listed are a delicate scent and a yellow beard.  Found between Baku and Tiflis on the left bank of the River Kura. Flowers are larger than I. acutiloba.  Interestingly, I. sari is listed as belonging to a seperate group of oncos.  To myself, the distinguishing features are not obvious!  I know that I. sari and I. lupina should have crescent shaped signals, while I. acutiloba often is remarked as having a double signal (nested).  As I've never seen them in bloom, I really have no idea.  Photos don't seem to bear this out or are of poor quality?

Maybe someone else will have some closer experience?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:57:42 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
Pat,

It is a lovely plant, but I don't think it is Iris acutiloba ssp schelkownikowii, I think it is Iris sari.
Iris acutiloba is strongly veined and has a small and rounded brown or blackish signal patch (Iris acutiloba ssp schelkownikowii has a yellow beard like Jamie mentioned, unlike the brownish or purplish beard of Iris acutiloba and also it is a larger plant than Iris acutiloba).
Your plant doesn't show such a strong veines pattern as should be in Iris acutiloba (or Iris acutiloba ssp schelkownikowii). Also, the signal patch of your plant is larger than should be in Iris acutiloba.
Rehovot, Israel

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
In Oncos 2008 (Oncos in flower) I posted a similar I.sari - originally distributed by Pilous about 10 years ago.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
Wow, Hans.  Lovely.

I still love yours, Pat.  Whatever their names.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2009, 11:34:32 PM »
Miriam thanks for all the clarifying points between the two species. I was not saying they were the same but that the plant reminded me of the print - I have noted the stronger veining in the I. schelkownikowii print which Mathew states is a relative of I. acutiloba. I do accept that I am growing Iris sari. It will be good to see my clones of Iris sari flower sometime soon - fingers crossed for this year. We have had strong winds and rain for the last couple of days and more forecast so it will be hard to do any pollinating.
John I have not grown many regelia so far - some are coming on from seed.
Jamie I do remember details so much more once I have grown a species - details seem to sink in better. Identifying from photos is always fraught with danger.
It would be such a joy to be able to do botanical illustration. The time alone to do them ....! But the details in that old print are amazing.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
It would be such a joy to be able to do botanical illustration. The time alone to do them ....! But the details in that old print are amazing.

Pat, just send air ticket to Rafa, and you'll get your botanical illustrations !!! ;D ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »

Pat, just send air ticket to Rafa, and you'll get your botanical illustrations !!! ;D ;D
          Pat , cheaper and quicker would be for you to send some of your blooms by overnight Air Express to Susan Jarick  ( friend of Marcus Harvey) in Hobart - Tas.She is a marvellous Botanical Artist .
 one of your I .urmiensis hyb. she painted a few years ago - a print undera plastic cover

Otto.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:22:04 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

arillady

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
Otto I will do that next year now as there is only a couple more to bloom. What a great suggestion.
As to Rafa's airfare, accommodation, meals etc - if only! We can dream can't we - like my trip to the land of the arils when they are in bloom.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
Very nice painting !!!
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

arillady

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:01 AM »
Another Iris sari was developing a bud nicely until our little white snails (which have been in plague proportions near the arils this year) snapped off the flowering stem with their chewing (or whatever snails do). I found it had been eaten through so I grabbed it and put it in water inside - not thinking that it would come to anything but was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it had opened up.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal