We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dolomites July 2009  (Read 19908 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Dolomites July 2009
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Cliff and Martin,

Just caught up with the majority of this topic.  Amazing!!  Some awesome pics in here.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

akoen

• My homepage
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
What an incredible journey, Anne ... will all your lovely images feature on the forum ... please?

How long did your journey take and did you log the total miles (sorry kilometres)?

We were away i 3 weeks. Driving nonstop (only sleeping) it took 2 and a half day to Croatia. 2500 km one way. Germany, Austria and Slovenia, we run only through.

I am sorry to say that I have taken to few images. Some of them not to relevant here. But they are on my homepage here

Next time we will spend more time in the nature. This thread is incredible.

Anne Karin Øen, west coast of Norway. USDA zone 7 to 9, not sure.
My English is rusty.
My seedlist
http://annesblomstersider.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=141

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »
Some beautiful pictures on your site, Anne ... what a mammoth journey, but Croatia IS gorgeous!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martinr

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Tony, as requested a closer look at the stranger in the Bartsia picture.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2009, 11:54:09 PM »
I'd say its a frog - Coeloglossum viride.  I tend to notice them only when I sit down for a rest/lunch.  They are quite well camoflaged!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
A close-up of Coeloglossum viride for comparison purposes ...
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
Still looks like a frog orchid, Cliff, with the flowers yet to open fully.

Lovely pictures by the way, I can see that I've a lot of catching up to do after being away/offline for three weeks, I've only quickly skimmed through so far.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:15:57 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Martinr

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:45 PM »
OK, I've been accused of being insane so I thought I'd better display some insanity. Time for some Via Ferrata. This was my first trip onto steep rock for an awful long time.

For those who don't know, Via Ferrata are rock scrambles/climbs where you don't have to find and place your own protection while climbing. The very kind Italians have protected the routes using fixed steel cables held in place with large bolts, and when it gets too steep they add bolted in ladders and sometimes things called stemples (think of a large staple stuck in the rock face).

The great things about Via Feratta are hugely reduced risk relative to traditional rock climbing and no chance of not being able to follow the route. All you need are a harness, a helmet and two karabiners attached to short lengths of rope fitted through a magic device that absorbs the energy if you do fall off. Memories of carrying lots of metal gear and 150M of rope in my youth make me very grateful for this reduced weight version of climbing.

Today was the introductory route for people who'd never done this sort of thing and those, like me, for whom it was a distant memory.

I pinched Joan's compact camera for the day. I saw lots of good flowers on the cliff but not in positions I was prepared to get the camera out! I'm not that insane.

So here we have a short sequence of pictures leading up to the climb proper, the real climb starts when you reach the ladder and put the camera away. I did pause at one point though to photograph this lovely campanula but not at the point where there was more Edelweiss in one place than I have seen before or since.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
Martin, this is sufficiently in advance of my "three steps up the ladder test" for testing for vertigo, that you qualify wonderfully for my Medal for Valour.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
Gosh, and it was only four steps up the ladder 8)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
... I'd better display some insanity.
... steel cables held in place with large bolts  
... large staple stuck in the rock face
... a magic device that absorbs the energy if you do fall off  

Fantastic stuff, Martin, but I see you're hanging onto that cross.
I've never been brave enough to have a go. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:22:34 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2009, 10:36:03 PM »
I'd been wondering what to do to celebrate my 50th in a couple of years time .... don't know if I'll share the idea with the family just yet though :o  Better to show them the pics afterwards eh Martin?

The ladder looks like its up against a lump of tufa from the miniature gardens that one sees at shows .... only MUCH bigger :D

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
The ladder looks like its up against a lump of tufa from the miniature gardens that one sees at shows .... only MUCH bigger :D   

Oh yes, so it does
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »
Martin,
I'm pleased to see that in picture 5 you've clipped onto the cross at the summit, you can't be too careful. Did the divine safety device help deal with the exposed situation?
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »
Diane - that is VERY clever!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal