We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now- July 2009  (Read 47130 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Flowering now- July 2009
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »
There are pinkish Wisteria varieties.  I grow a pale pink one called 'Carnea', that fades quite a bit as it ages.  There are a couple of other varieties available here as well, but I haven't seen them in flower to know the difference to mine.

I look forward to the other Deinanthe.  I was given a D. caerulea last year and was blown away by it.  I would love to find other species/colours of it as I adore the flowers.  Such a precious rarity!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »
Nice to see you back on the forum, Arne. Does this mean all examinations are now completed?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ArneM

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
Nice to see you back on the forum, Arne. Does this mean all examinations are now completed?

Paddy

Yup, we have holidays here now and for sure I passed all exams, especially the FCE exam. ;D

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
Congratulations are in order then. Well done!

Enjoy the holidays.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ArneM

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
Congratulations are in order then. Well done!

Enjoy the holidays.

Paddy

Thank you, Paddy. :D

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2009, 06:39:44 AM »
I bought Deinanthe caerulea 'Blue Wonder' a few years ago and have been surprised and pleased to find it hardy here... but I found it really hates our dry conditions!  Even when planted in half-shade, it would collapse whenever it got fairly warm outside (i.e. over room temperature...  ;))  It seems reasonably happy now (self-supporting, anyway!), in full shade and with its base sheltered under the big leaves of a Telekia speciosa... but sparse blooming, perhaps not surprisingly.

1) Hemerocallis dumortieri, one of my favourites for its wonderful fragrance and refined manners.
2) Allium x 'Globe Master'
3) A rather pretty small heuchera, Heuchera x 'Petite Ruby Frills'
4, 5) Columbines
6) Campanula rotundifolia
7) I rather like these open-faced campanula hybrids, Campanula x 'Samantha'
8 ) Saxifraga cuneifolia
9) Dianthus subacaulis 'Gary Eichhorn'
10) Dianthus alpinus?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:46:21 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »
Hemerocallis dumortieri, one of my favourites for its wonderful fragrance and refined manners.

It looks wonderful in that situation under arching branches, Lori, looking straight at you  ;)  Their shape is so appealing and, I imagine, the perfume too.

the Dianthus Alpinus? is a beautiful little plant with lots of character - I shall look out for it.  Thanks for the wonderful images of your garden.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

ArneM

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
Is Deinanthe caeruela 'Blue Wonder' really a cultivar of caerulea or actually a hybrid? There are many nurseries which list it as a hybrid (caerulea x bifida) - I share that opinion - but others sell it as a cultivar of caeruela... ???

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Some more plants flowering here:

Anthericum ramosum 
Boehmeria spec. 1               
Boehmeria spec. 2             
   There are several of these nettle like plants. I would like to know which species I have?

Coreopsis verticillata Grandiflora           
Dorycnium hirsutum                     
Geranium Russell Prichard                 
Helianthus + Miscanthus                   
Penstemon Andenken an Friedrich Hahn             
Verbascum
   (These huge hybrids are seeding everywhere on the former nursery grounds)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
Luit,

Lovely.  That Helianthus foliage is beautiful!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:15 AM »
Some more plants flowering here:

Anthericum ramosum  
Boehmeria spec. 1              
Boehmeria spec. 2            
   There are several of these nettle like plants. I would like to know which species I have?

Coreopsis verticillata Grandiflora          
Dorycnium hirsutum                      
Geranium Russell Prichard                
Helianthus + Miscanthus                    
Penstemon Andenken an Friedrich Hahn              
Verbascum
   (These huge hybrids are seeding everywhere on the former nursery grounds)

Luit, is your Anthericum ramosum closely related to the wild one I photographed in my garden visit/ La Thomasina thread?  The flower was very fine like yours appears....I think it is a lovely plant to have at this time of year  :)

Also is you Dorycnium hirsutum  what I think it is - like a sub shrub which produces lovely wine red seed heads - I grew it once and the leaf is very attractive.

Does your rock garden look over a canal - the setting looks wonderful?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:33:47 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
Is Deinanthe caeruela 'Blue Wonder' really a cultivar of caerulea or actually a hybrid? There are many nurseries which list it as a hybrid (caerulea x bifida) - I share that opinion - but others sell it as a cultivar of caeruela... ???

Arne,

most people I know who grow 'Blue Wonder' see it as a cultivar of caerulea. I've seen it with bifid leaves which would point in the direction of a hybrid but there seems to be Deinanthe caerulea plants which have bifid leaves too (according to The explorer's garden by Daniel Hinkley) so I don't know... maybe someone on the forum knows who has brought it into cultivation?

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
I bought Deinanthe caerulea 'Blue Wonder' a few years ago and have been surprised and pleased to find it hardy here... but I found it really hates our dry conditions!  Even when planted in half-shade, it would collapse whenever it got fairly warm outside (i.e. over room temperature...  ;))  It seems reasonably happy now (self-supporting, anyway!), in full shade and with its base sheltered under the big leaves of a Telekia speciosa... but sparse blooming, perhaps not surprisingly.
10) Dianthus alpinus?

No Lori it is not Dianthus alpinus. That one has green leaves not glaucous with blunt (rounded) tips not acute. It is also lower. I think that various "Alpine pinks" are masquerading as D.a.

Thank you for the tip on Deinanthe. I have 'Blue Wonder' and it makes no problems but another unnamed clone was doing badly. I believed it needed more light and the result of a move was not at all better. Now it will get a wetter position.  Yes they are surpsisingly hardy. They seem to survive well also in mid-Sweden.
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Luit, is your Anthericum ramosum closely related to the wild one I photographed in my garden visit/ La Thomasina thread?  The flower was very fine like yours appears....I think it is a lovely plant to have at this time of year  :)

Also is you Dorycnium hirsutum  what I think it is - like a sub shrub which produces lovely wine red seed heads - I grew it once and the leaf is very attractive.

Does your rock garden look over a canal - the setting looks wonderful?
Robin, I think my Anthericum is the same as the one you showed. A. liliago is a bigger plant, but I saw it only once in Austria.
The Dorycnium is a subshrub indeed and nothing for a small garden. Now after 3 years I'll have to cut it back or replant a new
seedling, which show up here and there. Old plants don't behave so well.
My raised beds are not on the side of the canal, but we look from the window over my other plantings towards the canal.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2009, 12:27:35 AM »
BOTH Deinanthes are truly gorgeous to someone who has neither.
Arne, is the banana growing outside. It appears to be. Does it fruit?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal