We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plants flowering in the open rock garden- July 09  (Read 25008 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Plants flowering in the open rock garden- July 09
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
The yellow Scutellaria is superb Lori. It takes me right back to Greece where it bloomed in gravel drifts at the side of the mountain roards. I used to grow it well too in a warmer garden but here, I can't even get the seed to germinate. Thomas H has sent me two lots and not a sausage. :(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2009, 11:58:53 PM »
Pardon me, since none of these is really in the rock garden, but they are sort of rock garden-ish... ?
1) Antirrhinum sempervirens is starting to bloom.  (I remain quite amazed that it's proven to be hardy here.)
2) Scutellaria orientalis ssp. alpina
3) Scutellaria alpina
4) Penstemon barbatus (shown here with Allium moly) are starting to bloom throughout the front yard in their many colours.

the scutellarias are nice--love the green! i photographed wild Stachys today, but havent seen the native Scutellaria yet this year..

i sowed Allium moly last year, with no results...lol

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »
Thank you, Magnar!

Also, I'm impressed that the small specialty garden center I've gotten various penstemons from, evidently takes pains to ensure that their stock is labelled correctly (not just from this one, but from others I've keyed out).  Bravo!
  Anyway, there is the starting point of penstemon identification... the shape of the anther sacs, which leads one to the penstemon group, and thence, eventually, to the actual species.  Wow!

3) Eriogonum schockleyi... just planted this spring (so I can't claim to have actually grown it yet.  :))

some impressive keying work, lori :)
which garden centre is that?
love the eriogonum! as i do, i think, most of them! but flat and silver is very good for me :)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
Which Scutellaria would that be, Cohan? I have S.resinosa, but I am not sure if that onegets as far north as you. Are you still interested in Scutellaria, Lesley? Hopefully off on a sed hunting day to the limestone slopes where S.orientalis grows (Big River Gorge).
Flowering now:
Ptilostemon casabonae- if there are plants outside the gates of hell this might be one of them  ;)
Dianthus nardiformis- a Bulgarian native with a very long flowering season- midway through now- but it will rebloom in autumn.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »
 :o :o Ptilostemon casabonae is cool, but nasty!!  8)  Nice Verbascum in the background too by the looks of it. :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2009, 09:35:19 AM »
Lots of thistle type plants popping up in rocks and dry places here - insects love them!

the Dianthus nardiformis has very pretty edging on the petals and I  love that colour with the silver leaves, Simon  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »
I really do like thistles and cornflowers- fantastic for butterflies.
The Verbascum made its own way into the garden- we have quite a few locall,y but I don't have a good enough key to work outall but the more obvious ones. There are some fantastic ones down south in the Rodopi mountains I hope to find soon.  :P
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:30 PM »
Which Scutellaria would that be, Cohan? I have S.resinosa, but I am not sure if that onegets as far north as you. Are you still interested in Scutellaria, Lesley? Hopefully off on a sed hunting day to the limestone slopes where S.orientalis grows (Big River Gorge).
Flowering now:
Ptilostemon casabonae- if there are plants outside the gates of hell this might be one of them  ;)
Dianthus nardiformis- a Bulgarian native with a very long flowering season- midway through now- but it will rebloom in autumn.

great thistle! i saw a huge one from the car the other day--single head a couple inches or more across and hot magenta...not sure if thats C vulgare or something else... its a road nearby that seems to have different flora than any other road i travel--i've actually seen what seems to be some bedrock poking out--might just be large erratics--but thats really unheard of around here.. so maybe some spots with shallow soils, would like to try to get there to look around...also potentilla fruticosa, which i had never seen wild nearer than the foothills..

looking forward to the fruits of your trips...

the Scutellaria is S galericulata/epilobiifolia..its a marsh plant -'10-80cm' tall, my book says, if i remember right, around here its usually somewhere in the middle of that..nice long violet flowers, but not densely packed spikes..very pretty, though the Stachys (S palustris) is probably a bit showier..

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2009, 10:04:24 PM »
Simon, yes, I'd be very intersted in S. orientalis and alpina but especially the former. I just love that plant. Used to grow it well.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2009, 06:49:13 AM »
Gentiana algida flowering after 4 years.

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »

do you mean it did not flower for 4 years? or its 4 years from seed? either way, it looks like its worth the wait :)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »
Superb Magnar !!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2009, 06:07:31 AM »
1) Gypsophila silenoides, now in full bloom, forming a haze of white flowers; it would probably be more compact in full sun, and I will eventually move it there... when I figure out a space for it.
2) Silene saxifraga, still going strong.
3) I've gotten a much better appreciation lately for the many beautiful sempervivum cultivars that are available and have added a few in the last couple of years... Sempervivum x 'Ruby Heart'.  I can almost imagine some of them to be tiny agaves...
4) Sempervivum x 'Bronco'
5) Sempervivum x 'Blue Boy'
6) An old unknown sempervivum that is, nonetheless, a favourite for its very large rosettes.

Oh, and I keyed out the purple penstemon... I'm delighted that it seems to match P. whippleanus!   :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:11:36 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »

do you mean it did not flower for 4 years? or its 4 years from seed? either way, it looks like its worth the wait :)

I mean it took four years from the seeds germinated and till I have the first flower.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2009, 08:21:29 AM »
13) I've gotten a much better appreciation lately for the many beautiful sempervivum cultivars that are available and have added a few in the last couple of years... Sempervivum x 'Ruby Heart'.  I can almost imagine some of them to be tiny agaves...
4) Sempervivum x 'Bronco'
5) Sempervivum x 'Blue Boy'
6) An old unknown sempervivum that is, nonetheless, a favourite for its very large rosettes.

Oh, and I keyed out the purple penstemon... I'm delighted that it seems to match P. whippleanus!   :D

great colour on blue boy--almost like an echeveria.. unusually long leaves on the last one! i recently got a couple of packages of tiny semps from europe...they are potted and recovering from the mailing....lol first set are starting to show true character now... great colours and forms...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal