We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09  (Read 26535 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
While I have not been lucky enough to visit Tromsø myself, Ian has toldme how wonderful the Botanic Garden is.... and how fine many private gardens are, too. Finn Haugli has tempted us with his talks about the TBG and now Viggo is doing just the same!
Have you ever seen so many  flowers on a Dryas octopetala mat?  :o 8) Or on a Gentiana verna angulosa, come to that ? !
I tell you, this place must be magical to be so beautiful!  :)

Edit : I have made a new thread for all these lovely June photos.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:20:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
Some lovely pics, makes me wish I was back up a mountain today looking at the spring flowers  :)
Flowering now:
Origanum tytthantum - a real butterfly magnet- seen here with a Meadow Brown- there were also Map Butterflies - but these were camera shy  ;)
Leptodactylon californicum- the first flower- hopefully more to come
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Plants flowering in the open rock garden.June '09
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2009, 05:35:28 AM »
Incredible photos!

A few meagre offerings from here:
1) Astragalus angustifolius
2) Leptodactylon pungens ssp. pulchrifolium - it's only had a few flowers, but I'm impressed that it survived the winter!
3) Carduncellus pinnatus
4) Saxifraga longifolia hybrid
5, 6) Silene saxifraga
7) Saxifraga paniculata v. minutifolia 'Red-backed Spider"... or so it was said to be - I've not been able to find any reference to a cultivar of that name.
8) Interesting seedpods on Astragalus purshii var. lectulus
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2009, 06:29:56 AM »
Lori,

Lovely pics.  I really love the Carduncellus pinnatus.  I think I prefer it in flower rather than in bud, but they are both so very cool.  Such an amazing radial design.  How big actually IS the plant?  Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it could be a reasonable size?  Not something I've ever encountered in real life, so I have no size reference in my head.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lori S.

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:47 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  A rosette of Carduncellus pinnatus is about 15cm in diameter, in my conditions, anyway.
Lori

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »
So it is quite petite then..... very cool.  Thanks for the extra info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
And then there's this one Paul, but not in flower here at the moment, Carduncellus rhaponticoides.
147255-0

This doesn't best show the arrangement of the rosette which like pinnatus' is immaculate in its layout of the single rosette. Both are somehow less pristine once they have clumped to several rosettes. This one too, grows to about 15 cms in diameter but sometimes they'll bloom at quite a lot less, and totally stemless of course. Propagate from root cuttings. I've never had fertile seed from either and if you see it on the occasional seedlist, don't bother. (Anyone know differently from this?)

I took this 18 months ago. Not sure what the white spots are, a passing seagull maybe. >:(

Thanks for the link, by the way. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:40:26 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
Lesley beat me with this, found this evening a picture from an old dia. The color is not so good, but the rozette is nice though.
My experience is that this Carduncellus rhaponticoides is easier to keep longer alive.
The C. pinnatus often will flower to death.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »
Mine never flowered that much :) but I did lose it in a trough when a dianthus grew over it. :'( I find the flower of pinnatus is a slightly greyish lavender while rhaponticoides tends towards a clear purple. I'm very fond of them both though so prickly. The fine prickles on the leaf edges of the latter can cause excruciating pain if they're not pulled out, like a blackberry prickle left in the finger.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2009, 11:52:54 PM »
I've had C. pinnatus flowering annually over a few years but not yet flowering itself to death ... which does, however, sound wonderfully dramatic, LOL!  (Though really irritating, in reality, IMO!)
It would seem like a terrible waste of effort for a plant to flower itself to death yet not produce viable seed...  ???  My plants  produce abundant seed, but I guess I should attempt to germinate it prior to offering it in the seed exchanges.

A not-so-quaintly-symmetrical double...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:57:48 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »
Maybe the words 'flowering to death' was a little exaggerate. What I meant was that I noticed that after flowering
so rich and right in the middle of the rosette the flowerhead is rotting away and the whole plant disappears, mostly when
it is a very wet summer. The roots will rot and not thrive again. But that is my experience.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lori S.

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »
1) Delosperma nubigenum - planted last year.  It came through the winter very well.
2, 3) Vella spinosa - it is rather interesting in the way that bare spiky branches form a mesh over the leafier stems below.
4) Penstemon procerus, local wild form.
5) And Delosperma basuticum, from about a week ago.  (Also planted last year, and wintered well.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:09:27 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Good show Lori !
Interesting to see the Delosperma overwintering that well in your climate !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »
Lovely colourings, Lori, the
Penstemon procerus, local wild form
is a dream  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
Thanks for the further pics and info on the Carduncellus everyone.  Sounds like I need to find it here in Aus.  I just love the form to it.  Would be worthwhile trying it I think, hopefully with some advice at the time.  Anyone out there in Aus who has a spare plant they can send me (Heck, I think it is worthwhile asking, even if a positive response is not expected  ;)).  I think the smaller unusual plants are just so interesting, but will make sure I look out for prickles on the edges of the leaves by the sound of it.  ::)

Thanks again.

And Beautiful pics, Lori.  The Delosperma look lovely, particularly that last one.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal