We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 09 in the Rockies  (Read 10080 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: May 09 in the Rockies
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »
Well, I have had problems with various Vicia in the past- but i still like them. I've never seen Lathyrus ochroleucus though.

i doubt anyone would want to introduce these to a garden, they are pretty aggressive, but since they are already growing here, and seeding in every  nook and cranny, i have no issues with encouraging them here and there--i'd like to get some really nice patches of them growing where they have something good to climb on, and they can really show off...

i will have pics of both when i get back to alberta wanderings posting; first i will do my trip south...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2009, 07:17:42 AM »
thanks paul, i think Dryas octopetala is considered the star of the genus, from higher elevations i think, prob a bit less exuberant, but i still really like this shy yellow flower, too..

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
Cohan,

Yes, I'd noticed the Dryas octopetala in postings here and there.  I really like the nodding lemon flowers on your one though.  Never ever seen a Dryas other than here, and probably given my climate I am never likely to see one here either.  I am guessing they would NOT like the summer heat given their mountain homes.  Then again so many of the Gentiana do grow in cooler nooks here in my climate, even if not here in my garden (still building up cover in a lot of the garden).

I think that is why I am enjoying these tours of the planet where I'll never visit..... they show me things I am quite likely never likely to grow, or at least never likely to grow WELL.  ;)  I still love trying things that "shouldn't" grow here, enjoying the thrill of growing the impossible.  8)

Thanks again for your postings.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
Cohan,
Yes, I'd noticed the Dryas octopetala in postings here and there.  I really like the nodding lemon flowers on your one though.  Never ever seen a Dryas other than here, and probably given my climate I am never likely to see one here either.  I am guessing they would NOT like the summer heat given their mountain homes.  Then again so many of the Gentiana do grow in cooler nooks here in my climate, even if not here in my garden (still building up cover in a lot of the garden).
I think that is why I am enjoying these tours of the planet where I'll never visit..... they show me things I am quite likely never likely to grow, or at least never likely to grow WELL.  ;)  I still love trying things that "shouldn't" grow here, enjoying the thrill of growing the impossible.  8)
Thanks again for your postings.  :)

i agree paul, on both points--wonderful to see things you will never grow, and also wonderful to see things you might try!
i think i remember seeing D drummondii at fairly low elevations (something similar to here, i guess--900some metres) where it had followed/been carried by a river downstream and was growing in gravel flats..
of course that lower elevation doesnt translate to heat, we can have very warm summer days, but nothing like your weather, but you never know unless you try!

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »
I have to agree with Cohan. Give everything you reasonably can a try. We have Dryas octopetala here in the mountains- we have seen it at about 1500m, which isn't alpine levels but there is an alpine plant community there (see the Central Balkan Nature Reserve thread). Even at this height, summer can be long and dry. I have Dryas grandis, from Siberia, in the garden here from seed- no flowers yet, but it came through last summer's heat.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2009, 10:00:44 AM »
We're technically around 600m, so we're elevated, just not THAT elevated!  ;D  Friends here in Canberra do grow a few Alpines quite well, but they have much shadier gardens than mine.  I have too many special things in the cooler and shadier places.  ::)  It really is surprising what does OK out in the sun when you forget about it and leave it out there in summer.  :o  Not the best for some other things of course.  Half the fun is attempting to grow something just to see if you can, and then admiring it every time you see it when you're successful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
Exactly! That's why i have Yucca, Nolina and Cacti growing from seed here- they may not make it, but in the meantime they 'freak' people out  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
you never know--many of the less commonly grown plants, and less commonly gardened places! dont have a lot of reliable information as to what really can and cant grow, BESIDES  site specific differences..
so you really cant know, often, without trying yourself..
we just all have an obligation to share what we learn :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal