We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife mid 2009  (Read 73551 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Wildlife mid 2009
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
Can I guess that the nest box wasnt deep enough?

New neighbours have brought two new cats to wind me up. My nest box for tits has been pulled down - young already gone. Today I bought some rat lime to catch the cats! :o
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »

Do yo think they are practising for a new series called 'Come Swimming', Cliff  ::)

Could be 'Goose swimming', Robin with Jane McDonald, Coleen Nolan, Carol McGiffin, Andrea McLean, Denise Welch, Sherrie Hewson and Lynda Bellingham?  Especially if one has a lisp! 

Apologies to the non-Brits - this is quite parochial.

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 05:29:18 AM »
A small group of pronghorns ("prong-horned antelope"), near Hanna, Alberta, today...  There is a little history (very recent, by European standards!) at the same location... the sign commemorates the school district of Blairgowrie, which existed in the vicinity from 1922 to 1938.
The third photo is pure prairies... note the barbed wire fence and caragana windbreak!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:03:42 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »
Lori,

Are the antelope endemic to Alberta?  I don't sort of think of Canada and immediately think of antelope?  Are they escapees?

We get deer wild not far from here (there is a herd of them that visit's my sister's property 40 minutes from here), but they are not native to Australia, just brought in for hunting/eating purposes and have gone wild.  They can be a bit of a problem in some of the National Parks here in Aus as they breed too freely.  I know that they are a big problem in the US too, particularly in many of the Trillium habitats where they are threatening to wipe out some colonies through repeated grazing.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
Friday evening, (5/6) I tried to take a look at my wagtails. They were still in the nest. They gave me a look and four of them flew away around my ears. The fifth had entangled its claw in the nest and was 1-2 seconds later to take off. All five obviously healthy and sure on their wings   :)
We can now use the terrace  :) :) :)
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Pronghorns definitely native to North America Paul.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »
Fascinating, Anthony.  I've never thought of "antelope" as outside of the African continent.  You learn something new every day (thankfully, otherwise it would be pretty darn boring!  ;))

Thanks for the info.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
I should have been more precise... "antelope" is merely a common name, and very much a misnomer.  They are actually the only surviving species of an entirely different ungulate family... quite fascinating...
Their behavior is also very interesting.  Pronghorns are built for speed, very fitting to their grassland habitat (though I've only seen them lounging around in pastures!), and have phenomenal eyesight.  Rather than jumping fences, as deer do, they crawl under the lowest strand.  One used to see them only in the southernmost parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan, but in recent decades, they have made their way somewhat northward, and are a regular sight along that particular stretch of highway.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronghorn
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hristo

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
Currently mobbing the various dianthus species in the garden are these beauties, Pandoriana pandora or the Cardinal Butterfly.
Large butterflies, comparable in size to the Swallowtail. Only problem, the food plant for the caterpillar is Viola and Pansy!!!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
An evening walk in the meadow and the light was amazing, shimmering through the grasses where I ventured - then suddenly Parnassius Apollo was dancing there just in front of me displaying every angle of its fabulous butterfly body with gossamer wings  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
How lovely to see these butterflies dancing. I am very  fond of that scabious.... it's a real charmer I think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hristo

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Cracking shots RR, was it an obliging subject?
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
The Apollo brings back happy memories of Greece. Nothing like them here though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
Maggi, Hristo and Leslie, thanks for looking at the Apollo butterfly dance and I'm glad you enjoyed it in situ with scabious at their peak of attraction.  It certainly performed well as I waited for it to settle - it took some luck and guess work to decide which scabious to focus on!  I'm wondering what flower attracted its attentions in Greece Leslie?

Hristo, your photo of the Cardinal Butterfly is a great sculptural shot - I love seeing the underside of butterfly wings and the different patterns and colouring of the scales - they are so animated at the moment, caught up in the joys of life  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
Never seen a Cardinal, but saw apollos in the Italian Alps in 1988. I have bred them and the larvae are lovely and feed on Sedum album.

Here is a moth that emerged from its cocoon this morning: Coscinocera anteus (related to the Hercules moth of PNG and Australia) from wild collected eggs sent from New Guinea. I was sent a couple of caterpillars as the rearer was going to India. I took one back and kept the other.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal